Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you keep people from jackin your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Dr.Kerry

Dr.Kerry

Nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

a friend of mine owns a 60 something mustang. it has some mechanism that if you didnt push in the ciggarett lighter the car would automatically lock up the brakes the second time thay get pressed. good idea unless someone steals it and hits the breakes on a freeway or intersection.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Most fools who would steal a car are too stupid and lazy to figure out how to drive my truck anyway. And I don't get the feeling Studebakers in general are high up on the theft list, especially old 3/4 ton trucks. In seven years, I have never even bothered to lock the doors and usually don't even roll up the windows. I guess lesson is, I am glad I like vehicles most assholes don't want to steal. Plenty of nice people do seem to like it though and assholes stay away - perfect combo.

4. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

B&M shifter, most people cant get it out of park. Hidden fuel pump switch. manual choke....some times it takes ME 10 minutes to get it started.

5. Bring out the Gimp..

6. lonelywanderer

lonelywanderer
    from hawaii

kill switches and my truck is usually boxed in and parked by some older neighbors house that always check if their dog barks

7. One of the best tips I ever read was to make a fake coil wire. Either gut the lead from real one or use vacuum tubing. When you're leaving your car unattended, trade the real one for the fake, making it relatively undiagnosable.

8. Lucky3

Lucky3

I'm a nostalgia racer and when we're on the road (race track, hotel, etc.) I pull a couple of fuses outa the fuse box.

Ignition fuse and a fuel pump fuse or a ???? fuse.....

9. One of my trucks still has the floor starter and three-on-the-tree. Most thieves today wouldn't have a clue how to start it or drive it.

10. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I drive an Edsel....not a whole lot of people knockin me over to jump behind the wheel. Its a three on the tree with a goofy ignition switch. Its stock but you gotta learn the combination to get it to turn. I dont think most of the quick-money hoods around here have ever seen a 3 spd like that.

11. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I find that one of these tends to slow a wood-be car jacker down:

[​IMG]

Paco

12. Absolutely - 3 on the tree is the way to go. Other than a few guys in my CC, I know only 2 other people that can and have driven a 3spd column shift - my stepdad (76) and my father in law (77). I drove my car to work this summer, and one of my young soldiers asked me why it had 3 pedals on an automatic. I told him it was a column shift 3 speed, and he was totally confused. :eek:
    Most anybody under the age of 50 would just be plain bewildered by a 3 on the tree!

13. Three-speed column shifters were available up through 1980 or so on a variety of US-built cars and trucks. Chevy/GMC trucks, GM A-bodies, Dodge D100/150 pickups, Mopar F-bodies, and Ford F-100/150 could be had with them. The trucks, maybe even longer than that! So, I'd have to adjust your age threshold to about 40 or so!:D

14. I liked the security system that they had in robo cop that sent about 150000 volts through the would be car jacker then opened the door and dumped him out.

15. chubbie

chubbie

media runs this country. we need to hear about "good ol boy" revenge. screw the PC bull s** thieves need to know what happens if they are caught, "old skool"

16. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

OLD School..LOL!

Attached Files:

17. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

18. 76F350

76F350

Well our '76 F-350 doesn't have a carbureator on it right now. '79 was the last year for dashboard ignitions on Ford F-Sieres trucks. In 1980 They went to colum locks. ('73-'79 Ford truck are the best, followed by '61-66, then by 67-72s)
    The Chev hasn't been registered sense '78 and would only move through a tow-truck, has a siezed engine, and no radiator.
    And no-one in their right mind woulld steal our Diesel.
    Oh, forgot to mention, the Ford & Chev both have Gunracks in them...
    My dad wouldn't let anyone steal any our truck anyways...
    Oh and most kids in my generation (I'm 15) can't drive a manual trans, they don't even know how they work or anything, its really sad. And yes I can drive a manual.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  19. Beau

Beau

Take off the steering wheel.

20. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

I keep my shit looking bad so nobody would want it :(

21. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

I've been thinking about this myself. I don't live in a place where people really want to steal my rides, but I do have crazy family who would like to be funny and take them for a joy-ride without my knowing. I don't want that.

I'm thinking an in-line toggle behind the ignition switch and one of those key-type battery kill switches.

BTW, I'm 23 and I drive a column shift three speed quite often. Atleast until I get the new mill and 700r4 rigged up. lol

22. 35hotrod

35hotrod
    from Duvall, WA

No choke on the Holley DP, loud pipes, all dash knobs are identical, one is a pull to start switch, battery mounted under locked bulkhead inside car with latching relay, tiny momentary contact pushbutton hidden under dash, hidden exterior toggle switch disconnects power to latching relay control circuit and as a last resort- two purebred Boston Terriers trained to kill :D NOBODY gets past Deuce and Buster!

23. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

Anybody caught commiting a crime should be allowed to be shot on site. I dont give a damn about some whiny human right activists crying criminals have rights. That worthless piece of shit scumbag knows he's commiting a crime that is against the law. I know its against the law to steal so I don't steal, simple as that. Criminals know they get a slap on the wrist if thier caught, where's the deterent in that? Some have a better life in prison than out. Cable tv, colledge educations, 3 hot meals. Screw that, prison should be hard labor, punishment for their crimes, not reward them. Sorry, it just pisses me off, Yes Ive had a car stolen, just a POS 87 honda civic, but it was mine, I bust my ass daily to pay for it. the bastards punched a hole through the sheetmetal on the door to break the lock rod then tore up the colum. The sheriffs found it on the other side of town. Nothing is really done to deter crime. In the middle east you lose a hand if your caught stealing. I say it serves you right. Start that here and see how quick crime rates drop.

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

.......good parking brake too!

Attached Files:

25. nutajunka

nutajunka

So many "How to's" just put a bear trap under a towel on the drivers side, they will be in such a hurry they will never see it, but they will feel it!

26. Move someplace that doesn't have so much meth.

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

No kidding, huh!?! I can't imagine living with so much stress that some of these guys must have! After reading this thread, I actually removed my key from my ignition switch this morning at the gym, and put the key on the floor of my unlocked truck....:eek:

28. DooDooHead

DooDooHead
    from Big Sur