Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Modular" bellhousings ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgedartgt, Dec 19, 2009.

1. dodgedartgt

dodgedartgt
    from SW FL

I read in a magazine a couple of years ago of a company that was making "modular bellhousings".
    In short, pick the engine you want to use, and the tranny. They would provide "rings" to meet each application. Then there were "spacer rings" to fill in the distance between the first two pieces. Seemed and looked like a very simple idea, well executed.
    Does anyone recall which company?
    Thnx, Mikey Bynum

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

My memory says lakewood was gonna do it for sticks, and was gonna be the next big thing in bellhousings. Then they started throwing out MSRPs that were double a traditional bellhousing, and that's the last I heard.

Doesn't TCI do a unibell/modular for automatics?

3. dodgedartgt

dodgedartgt
    from SW FL

Nope, not Lakewood. Just went to their site.
    Mike

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

5. dodgedartgt

dodgedartgt
    from SW FL

Bobscogin, still not.
    The stack would be 4, 5 or 6 pieces thick by the time it was assembled.
    Thnx, Mike

6. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

7. squirrel

squirrel

didn't Offy do that many years ago? they used the flatty ford as the intermediate flange design, and you could get adapters to mate to many engines and many transmissions.

I guess all the good ideas are old

8. dodgedartgt

dodgedartgt
    from SW FL

SB65,
    McLeod looks like it, but they aren't showing any Mopar configurations. I was sure I remembered those available :-(
    Mike

9. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I don't know who used to do it, but I am working on very nearly the exact same concept right now.

Won't be ready to release for a few months yet, but I am working on the drawings for a prototype right now, so it's in the mill (figuratively ;) ).

What (in your opinions) are the most popular engines and transmissions currently in use, at least on this board?

I assume that the SBC, BBC, SBF are a lock, as are the Sag 3spd, Sag 4spd, Muncie 4spd, T-5, and the Super T-10. That's all I can think of just this minute.

Perhaps adapter rings to mate automatics to blocks they're not supposed to go with?

Not strictly speaking a bellhousing, but maybe something you guys would like to see none the less?

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

833 mopar 4 speed should be included, and IMO the customer base seeks bells to put muscle era or newer transmissions on pre-muscle era engines. The guys that wanna use antique transmissions fall into 2 categories, the purist that would prefer an original adapter from somebody like cragar, and guys that won't spend to get a modern trans. Neither of those groups are gonna be putting your kids thru college :)

The ability to use a modern ministarter or move a stock starter to the opposite side with bellhousing mounts is also gonna sell bellhousings.

good luck!

11. I'd love to see a bell-housing i can use to put a t-5 behind a Buick aluminum 215. Also, it would be nice for an adapter plate to put a GM over-drive automatic behind a Studebaker 6 cyl.

12. bobscogin

bobscogin

I'd like to see more effort put into adapting the Ford V8 T5 to non Ford applications. The Ford V8 T5 seems to be more available and cheaper than GM V8 versions.

Bob

13. chrisser

chrisser

http://www.aluminumv8.com/

2nd item on this page:

http://www.aluminumv8.com/new/newstuff.htm

I don't know what they want for it. Even if you download their catalog, it looks like the only item without pricing is the bellhousings. I guess you could call them...