Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tall or Short, Does this effect what you own.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Rooney00

Rooney00

"Do you find something comical about my appearance when I am driving my automobile?"
    I used to fit really well in my model A coupe. That was about 200 pounds ago though.

2. size does matter apparently, but I think that a it still can get overridden by a passion for a look in a specific car.( wow, I'm not sure that made sense) Or at least thats what I'm getting from everyones posts

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I'm just about six feet tall, with a slightly tall sitting height. Fit fine in my '40 coupe and '41 pickup; relatively snug fit in the '29 highboy. In all three, I look out the top third of the windshield.

I've found that fine tuning the control placements can make a big difference in the comfort on a full-tank run, but sometimes you have to suck it up and get down the road.

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yep. 6'4" and about 230 pounds. Big difference between what is cool and what sucks.

For example, I fit nicely in a new HEMI Challenger. I don't even come close to fitting in a new Chevy Camaro. HUGE difference between these two cars for a tall guy.

Not only is it uncomfortable to get in certain cars, you look stupid too.

Ever notice how some guys look really cool on a Harley Sportster? Wait until they get off the bike and I can almost guarantee they are less than 5'7" cause you look like a goon if you are much taller.

The pic of the coupe a few posts back is EXACTLY how I would look jammed in the car too.

So, yes, it changes my mind in what to roll in, or on.

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

WOW ... there is a lot of BIG GUYS on the HAMB. :)

I am only 6 foot 2 inches tall ... but I am over weight :eek:. I can fit in either my 32 3W or 32 roadster ... fairly well ... and can drive either 500 + miles in a day without much trouble ... but I fit a lot BETTER in a 1940 Ford coupe. On both the 3W and and the roadster, the seat is moved back as far as possible. Tilt steering is NOT traditional ( by some folks standards ) but I need it in my 32's ( I am over weight ) If I was less heavy and some slimmer ... tilt steering would not be required :D

I would like another project.
    I will only buy something that I can fit in and drive comfortably ... I want one of these ... big barges :D

[​IMG]

6. I found an old like early 60's honda bike, kinda wanna get it, but thats another thing about being to big. I don't wanna look like a monkey fuckin a football. but the bike is prolly free so... I might deal with it.

7. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I'm only 5'10", and im the tallest in my family, (Italian/Sicilian), i get fucking lost in my 53' Fleetwood. I mean that tank is big enough for me to take a nap, In the front seat.

8. Is it just me or were cadillacs designed as four doors, because my 54 buick 2dr special is only a couple inchs wider in the window then my 54 cadillac 4dr. And the rear doors are goll damn huge. Were as its seems like most 4 dr cars from them have greatly shorter doors. Now cadillacs are cars for the verticaly inclined I reckon

9. silversink

silversink

I'm 6'3 . of ll the classic cars I've owned there are 2 I fit my 255lb. ass in and was comfy were a 49 ford(Broken seat springs) and my 47 kb1 International pickup. The worst of the bunch was a 33 3window Ford coup. that was channeled 4in.and chopped 3in. I had to lean down to see out the widow but I loved being the owner for the 42 years I owned it.
    I drive the International now as it is diff. and comfortable.

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hmm, seems there are a disproportionate number of tall people here! I'm 5'4". I never have to worry about whether I'll have enough room, can get into, or out of, a car. My feet always reach the pedals, and I can usually see over the steering wheel. Bought the Diamond T from a guy who found he couldn't get his left foot up on the clutch pedal with the door shut, and the steering wheel was in his chest.

When I was in school, tall girls found me cute too...

11. Size has never really been a problem to me. I was almost 6' for awhile but I'm back to about 5'10 or 11 again and my legs are pretty short so length wise I fit in most cars.

My biggest problem these days is getting up out of one that sits low. But I don't suppose that is a problem either since I lean towards cars that are made to go fast in a straight line.

I have always leaned towards cars built between '53 and about '65. I'm thinking that cost was always a determining factor, or maybe I just like 'em. I guess I'm pretty screwed up but I still think that anything manufactured after '65 is late model.

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'm 6'6", I extended the cab of my chopped, channeled 34 pickup.

[​IMG]

I'm building a 31 roadster now. With it, I just removed all the stock seat stuff and the miniscule package tray and layed the floor down flat. I'll build a low seat moved back about 6" using the stock riser. I sat in a few stock roadsters before I started this project, the biggest problem was getting my size 13 feet maneuvered between the front of the seat and the door pillar!

[​IMG]

13. WEll I am almost as wide as tall. WHen i built my dragster I had to build a big roll cage since i have a busted ribcage to boot. Everytime I take the car out some expert tells someone I built the roll cage too big. Last time i was at Nostalgia drags in Shannonville when one expert stopped by and talked to an old friend who was waiting to see me. (I had gone for a burger) The guy went on how I built it too big and my friend with a grin said "Why dont you wait for a minute and tell Don when he gets back. I am sure he will apreciate it. " About a minute later he said "There he is now, comng around that ramp truck." (I am 5'10 1/2" at 306 # and was trotting slowly toward my dragster munching on my burger. ) Gary my friend said the guy took one look and said "Sorry, i gotta go!" Gary was disappointed because he thought he would see one of my verbal exlosions. Anyway it is a problem for me. Most of the current dragsters i could never get into. The Jeep altered i built a more conventional looking rolbar but I can still get into it. The fellow who bought it is 6.7 and he has no trouble getting in and out so we must have did something right. It is a very real problem even with race cars.
    Don

Attached Files:

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

Well, I'm one of those people who is willing to suffer a bit for the sake of cool. I love the comforts of a big old car, but there is not a custom out there that sings to me like a chopped/channeled/fenderless Model A coupe.
    Unfortunately, at 6'10", that's an unlikely combo.
    My current compromise? I'm trying to build a 28 Essex coupe which is similar in looks to a Model A (or will be when I get done with it) but is just a wee bit bigger all around, longer and wider. Since I need to fabricate a roof for it, the plan is to put the body on the ground, mockup a seat that is ergonomically correct for me in the driving/cruising condition, and have my wife take some measurements so I can HOPEFULLY build it around me.
    It will be a very short list (ha ha) of people tall enough to drive it when it's finished, but I don't really plan on selling it anyway.
    Of course, I'm only 30 and still relatively flexible and thin. I might change my mind about style over comfort some day later on in life.

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

Reminds me of when I came to visit my dad when I was still in high school and only 6'8" tall. He was proudly showing off his new corvette and told me I could drive it if I was really careful. So he gets in the passenger seat and I get in the driver's seat... or try to.
    After shoe horning myself in there, I could kind of turn the steering wheel if I just kept one hand on the top of the wheel. I could almost shut the door, and although I couldn't even come close to touching the brake pedal, I could easily manipulate the gas pedal. Luckily it was an automatic, so having my left foot folded funny so it would fit under the seat and wheel was working. My head was tilted severely to the side in order to fit under the roof.
    Needless to say I didn't get to drive that car and you KNOW I wanted to. My dad was kind enough to reach between my leg and arm and put the key in the ignition and start it so I could blip the throttle a few times. Sometimes being a freak of nature has its drawbacks.

16. You'd look like one of them bears riding the bicycle in the circus.

17. krooser

krooser

I'm a big lardass and I've owned several British sports cars... belly room is more critical then headroom. But now that old age has set in legroom is the most important... it just hurts too much to squeeze my ass into a sardine can. I can get in a Triumph TR2 easier than my wifes Cavalier... as long as the TR's top is off!

18. Ebert

Ebert

Yeah...it has affected me twice. I'm 6' and 230 and I had to damn near do the limbo to get in my chopped A pickup and I have to admit that I looked like a Shriner when in my old track roadster!!! HA! Much more comfortable in my 40 Ford and 55 Chev.

Attached Files:

19. mj40's

mj40's

What is it with tall guys and little cars? A friend of mine built his first car and it was a T bucket. He drove that thing hard and long. He would run about 80 and then stop for everyone else to catch up and stretch his legs. He is 6'6. Then he built a Model A sedan and then an Anglia. He finally got smart and built a center door T Sedan.

20. Swifster

Swifster

I'm only 5'8" so I've never had a problem fitting into anything other than a '84-'96 Corvette or a Lamborghini Diablo (both for work). But I've always liked '50's & '60's cars. Plenty of room up front and plenty of room in the back. And because I never thought these types of cars looked good chopped, I've never had a problem with headroom.

21. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I'm 6'4" and bought the biggest car i could find....54 Cadillac.

22. RodStRace

RodStRace

Have a friend who's over 6' who has a T bucket. He has very little padding and drives it with one leg hanging out....
    This is it in a past version and him sitting on the back...
    Oh, and that's a twin turbo MOPAR, not a SBC

Attached Files:

23. Maybe big guys wanting small little hot rods makes us feel like we are living a monster t-shirt painting. ha ha just a thought.

24. Find me one of them little hats they make the bears wear and I be sporting that thing like a rolex.

25. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

I'm 6'4" and 260 and I'm building a chopped 38 ford pickup. I'm building it around my size, and feel like it will be alright, have to wait and see how it actually feels when I start driving it. Have to scrunch some, but then I noticed I have to do the same when I drive my toyota 4runner around. I do want to get a bid sedan and build it with all the creature comforts, one hot rod and one cruizer, must be getting older...

26. ardyboy

ardyboy

If you're over 5'10", you won't get your lid on in here unless your neck is a slinky

Attached Files:

27. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Did anyone ever start a thread showing how people fit in their hot rods?

28. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I am 6'-8" tall.. that is why I like 48-52 f-1's.. I fit in them really well. I drive my 4x4 one everyday and a lot of my neck and back problems went away.

I am building a model a coupe but it will be unchopped and unchanneled to give me as much room as possible....but will still probably only be drivable for short trips.

I don't fit well in ANY mid sized or smaller cars. I fit will in galaxies and other BIG 50's and 60's cars.

As far as trucks I don't fit in fords newer than 79, chevy's newer than 72, or dodges after the 70's.

29. SteadyT

SteadyT

I aggressively chopped my 37 Ford Cab, and being a 6"1" 270lb weight-lifting shit-house, it's not even fun to work on inside of it.

So now I'm building an RPU. The Ford Cab is now going to a future build.

30. James66g

James66g

I have had to come to grips with never owning a real sports car I am 6`6 and 400 I carry it well but man not when I am in a car! I drive a half ton extended cab GMC and my knees are level with the bottom of the windows and maybe a half inch from the dash with the seat alllll the way back! I stick to galaxies after 60 for comfort. Even impalas are tight for me but I long for a roadster it just wont ever happen. Been looking for a 65/66 crew cab now that I have a kid on the way but also a zephyr or a 40/41 buick coupe would be awesome customs all the way!

The only new car that i can get in at all comfortably is the dodge/chrysler 300 magnum challenger charger line talk about roomy! to bad its a dodge. So its trucks for me!