Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC in 59 f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djlifter, Dec 17, 2009.

1. djlifter

djlifter
    from oklahoma

With the 6, if I really drop the truck, will I have oil pan clearance issues..??

2. rikkitabaras

rikkitabaras
    from dallas tx

I got a 429 with a c6 waiting for my 58 in the garage. I would use a ford on a ford or a chevy on a chevy but thats me. If you like the chevy engine, go for it! like everybody says its your truck and if it pleases you more power to you. You've got a bitchin truck anyways!!!

3. Again....the stock '59 f100 setup is hydraulic that means it uses a master cylinder/slave cylinder. You can check my earlier post for more info if you're interested.

4. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I'd go with a FE.

Buddy of mine has a 410 merc in his 60 navy duece cab. It thumps like a locomotive. Pics of this soon to be on the HAMB. I informed him we will get the project running by spring!

5. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

i had a 59.
    lose the SBC man.

Y-block, FE, or the inline 6 tricked out sounds great to me.

6. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

djlifter, Thanks!

I made some mounts that bolt to the inside of the frame and for the trans I just made a crossmember out of 1 1/2" square tubing. Its really just as easy to put a chevy in than any other engine because there is so much room and the straight frame rails on older trucks makes it even easyer.

The ease of putting one engine in over another is the having the parts avalible. SBC's are easy because there are avalible and there are many aftermarket parts to go with them. But for me, I was after something different and I got my engine and trans free from a friend out of a rolled car. Before I got the motor I was thinking about what to put in it and a Y-Block, nailhead, 421 poncho, 413/383 Chrysler and 394 Olds had crossed my mind but the Chrysler became avalible in a package that was running. I was trying to stick to an early 60's drag team truck theme with some big block attiude so i kept my list to those early 60's big blocks, (the Y-Block was just the quick alternative to put a V8 in because I had all the the stuff).

Pick a style and build around that!

7. dotcentral

dotcentral

Since it runs good, why not keep the 6 and do a drop axle, maybe lowered springs. It might be cheaper and easier than engineering the 4 speed stuff and motor mounts, trans mounts, etc.

I think there is a 57-60 F series site, but check out http://www.fordtruk.com/forums/index.php. I think the 61-64 straight axle trucks are almost the same chassis.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  8. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

For what its worth :

The 223 that was in mine ran GREAT and had good power, If you dont have anything yet stick with the 223 and gather the parts for your "ultimate build".

I still have it because im saving it for something thats really low and with the carburetors in your view while driving :)

9. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Gary Coe's green 1957 F-100 has a 500 Cadillac motor and it looks right at home in the engine bay.

Me, I am putting a Paxton Supercharged 5.0 and a 5-speed I got out of a wrecked 1994 Mustang in my 1959...

10. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Here's a shot of Gary's F-100 with the Caddy mill...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. djlifter

djlifter
    from oklahoma

You guys are a WEALTH of information...and I really appreciate it.
    I am leaving the day after Christmas to go get the truck, so I will have ample time to gather all my thoughts....lol - it is only 1700 miles from my house to his...

12. daliant

daliant

Oh no... not another sbc in a ford

13. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

I have a 54 and a 55 ford PU but ford motors in them NO WAY they are crap.
    Ill run a SBC anyday in them and they are a lot cheeper to build.