Register now to get rid of these ads!

MSRA members take note

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badlefihand, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.34

Mr.34

I have not missed a BTT 50's since Gene and Red Sonnen held the first one and we had no idea that things would get so overwhelming. All in all, I must commend the BOD and all the volunteers for pulling things off year after year as well as they do. I think the current host hotel is ideal considering all the space for parking being right next to the Hilton. I agree with my friend from St. Cloud that the key is to pick up your registration on Thursday. I wait until about 11:00 now and walk right to the table and I am out of there. Having been a member since 1967, I must say that MSRA is the "Gold Standard" for every car association to aspire to. They are generous to charities and to their members. The dues never go up despite all costs going up. I have even come a little later in the morning and go right to our club spot and have eliminated the long waits on the streets. Hats off to the MSRA.

2. chubbie

chubbie

38 & 34 you guys live there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! take time off work dip into the "fund" drive 4-5 hours, drive all the way around the city to get a packet of.....stuff, now if you don't get there before 5......on friday so you can do sat. and sunday, thats 2 nites in motel room, for saturday after noon, sunday morning swap meet and head for home in the after noon. 12,000 cars, some of them are hard working people from out of town, out of state. all I,m asking is to consider sending the button to us in the mail, this could double the pleasure!!!!!!! and you guys talk about additional charge!! I'd pay $15 to have the button in the mail, and skip the tour around the city

3. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

STAY HOME THEN!
    I really miss the days when it was just a club event! To me, it got to big when the number of registrations got over 6,000! I hate it that it has gotten damn near impossible to cruise at the event. If you leave your spot, it's gone! If all the people that bitched stayed home, it would be more enjoyable for those who are there to see old friends, meet new ones, look at some cars, and buy some parts!

4. 38 Ford Guy

38 Ford Guy

I have not problem with the mail idea as I am 70 miles away and stay in a motel too. The MSRA does this like the Nationals does, off site registration which is how it was done this year when I went to Louisville. This is how I spend my vacations and why I bust my butt so I can enjoy quality shows like this.

5. i drive in 5 or 6 hours and get there for the registration, and show up when the gates open and the place is almost full when the gates open?? and usually park on machinery hill, which is not perfect, and me and the wife are just amazed at all the cars and enjoy the crap out of this wonderfull show..:D we are a little out of the loop as we are from a long way outstate and do not participate in the voluntering we are old and slow and just want to enjoy the show and we do:)

6. oldpaint

oldpaint

Shawn, you're a great ambassador for MSRA ( Metro Street Rod Assn.)

Sounds like you're bitching!

Attached Files:

7. 38 Ford Guy

38 Ford Guy

Thanks to Gene and Red we have one of the best shows in the country. I am glad they went back to opening more gate as it keeps both driver and car temps down smoothest we went in years. I think the MSRA and its volunteers do a good job I cannot imagine trying to please over 12,000 people.

8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

You know, it does, doesn't it! I apologize to those out of towners I may have offended!
    It's amazing how something meant to be fun (both MSRA & BTT50's) has become such a source of frustration for people. After all the years of being active in both, I have come to understand why many people have chosen to just avoid the frustration and step away from both! Growing up, all I ever wanted to do was get my car done so I could cruise at BTT50's. That show has always been special to me, plus, it was the 1st event I ever drove my car to (in 1992). I guess I still long for the way it was, rather than excepting what it has become.

9. krooser

krooser

I seldom really bitch about BTTF's... I have a few friends who can only attend on Saturday/Sunday. The way registration is set-up they can't get their reg. in time to attend the show.... so they don't go. That's 5 nice cars... 10 good hotrodders... that don't see the show and don't spend any $$$. That's too bad. Having the regs. mailed out would let these guys attend.... makes sense.

10. bobw

bobw

You can always go as a spectator. For years I parked my Anglia in the spectator lot and walked in. Looked at cars, visited with friends, ate food, etc. At night I'd cruise the motel parking lots and meet people from out of state. Very little hassle doing it that way.

11. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I believe they used multiple gates last year only because of the road construction around the fair grounds. I would expect to see it back to the way was this year.

I really don't get all the griping about the registration. If you really like the show, take an extra day off of work and get here EARLY so you don't have to be stressed out about it. Enjoy registration at 10 AM, when traffic is minimal. have a beer while you are at it. Yes, I work too. I have limited vacation too. I use my vacation on car shows that I feel I want to be apart of and plan accordingly so I am not stressed out. It's why I don't go Christmas shopping on weekends ..... I do it late night on weekdays..... same thing .....

12. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I have friends in the same boat. I pick up their registration for them on Thursday and give it to them on Ssaturday. You just need them to sign permission to do so. Not a big deal. Same goes for all of these out of towners. I assume most have local friends coming as well. Everyone does not need to go to registration.

13. Hey Rusty, good to see you on here....if it is just to campain or not. LOL.

Yummy was telling me about this post the other day. REALLY excited to see your getting involved!!! Wecome to the HAMB.

So I have read most of this thread. I am not a member of MSRA, I have just attended the show for over 10 years. I agree that some fresh attitudes could improve the show...however making the wrong changes could be absolutely horrible and could mess it up badly. They do have a system that works!

I have been going to BTTFs since about 1995 or 1996. I have missed only a couple years since. There has not been a year that I have not had fun. It is certainly something every hot rodder has to do at least once in their life.

Here are my impressions of the show:

It is not an easy show to attend as a first timer. Especially if you don't have a friend to guide you through the ropes. It is not easy to navigate this show. You will spend a considerable amount of time sitting in traffic. Host Hotel? How to navigate the grounds? It is confusing. For someone driving a 1964 and older vehicle that they may not drive everyday, may not be used to driving on the interstate and in traffic...could be a scary and confusing ordeal. I have a system down on when and how to get to the show. It has worked well for about 4 years now, but I am getting bored with the same old routine. I found out a few years ago that if I change the routine I get stuck in traffic or something else wastes a bunch of my time and I miss some of the show.

Thursday night drive-in movie is great...but quite a drive from the host hotel...bad logistics. 12,000 cars at the show and 100-200 or so go to the drive-in movie? Moving the host hotel could certainly help Thursday activities.

The host hotel is a PITA to get in and out of at most times. This could be improved greatly. I would think there is a way to figure out how to do it on the grounds or at least find somewhere that has a larger parking lot and easier to get in and out of.

The women's building was an excellent addition to the show a few years ago. I have seen the lines outside of it the last few years. I know it is an appreciated addition to the show. Other than that, I can't think of any additions I have seen in the last 10 or so years. It is the same show every year. Some new entertainment or something new would be nice. Something more for the kids maybe. Some more music or other entertainment maybe?

This is one of the most expensive shows to attend. Hotel, gas, food, etc and it is a $1000-1500 weekend. I know people who don't go because of this. I know I wouldn't go every year if I didn't crash at a friend's place. And it is still usually a $400+ weekend for me. Not to mention a TINY pile of cheese curds is what $6? The food prices are outragous. The state fair park certainly is to blame on that one.

I have also seen the wrath of some of the volunteers. Last year I had my sticker on the wrong side of the windshield...on my t-bucket. Yes, FLAT glass about 4 feet across. I was chewed out pretty hard at because of it. Was it that big of deal? Certainly didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling first thing that morning.

Lastly, the MSRA website needs to get out of 1997.

Rusty, I certainly think your intentions are good. I wish you the best. Let me know if I can help in any way. I'd give ya my vote, but I don't have one.

14. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

How in the hell do you go from a $25 entry fee to $400? I bring in a family of 5 and eat fair food, and I might spend $200. You can drive in with a cooler of food and beer......

15. Gator

Gator

:confused:

16. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

Rusty I think from reading this thread that there is one thing that might make it better. Mailing the packets would nice, more work but nice. It could be an option that would cost more to do. $5.00 would do it. What is up with the people that brought up the mug? If you don't want it don't pick it up with the ticket.
    Your idea of muscle cars could not be an option at back to the 50's but it sure could be a seperate event. I think the Car Craft Show is a Joke for what they charge to get in. I think that you are what the MSRA needs to keep things rolling. When ever you have more than 10 people doing something you will always have people who disagree.
    Keep up the good work

Pat
    MSRA #7730

17. Rusty52

Rusty52

Cliffy drives over from Wisconsin in a car that probably gets 10 miles to the gallon with a tailwind :) Did I mention he's from Wisconsin, so his cheese curd and beer consumption is quite high!!

Cliffy,

Thanks for checking out this thread and giving your input. You bring up some good points, just like a lot of these guys on how to improve BTTF's. I have also heard plenty complaints about being "rubbed the wrong way" from volunteers, but we have to remember that they are also just that, volunteers. It's going to be pretty difficult to reprimand people who are volunteering. I think your incident is probably in the minority, but like most things, you only hear about the bad. If all is good, people don't say much.

I'm hoping that I can get elected and get a few of these ideas rolling. Even if I don't get elected, I'd like to see these ideas considered by the MSRA board.

18. Rusty52

Rusty52

Pat,

I agree. IMHO Car Craft is expensive for what it is, either that or we're just spoiled from BTTF's!! :) They've started to figure out how to run CC a little better than when it originally started, but I still think with MSRA's experience, their volunteer resources and their membership, MSRA could put on one hell of a muscle car show that would cater to some of the other members of the club.

This must be repeated because people like to jump my butt about it...I DO NOT WANT TO ALLOW ANYTHING POST-64 INTO BACK TO THE FIFTIES!!!

Rusty

19. Rusty52

Rusty52

I haven't had much feedback on here yet about one of my favorite ideas for MSRA. I would like to see MSRA set up a few tech seminar/weekends each year. The idea is to get experts in different areas to help teach other MSRA members how to do various car related things, i.e. paint, pinstriping, interior, welding, etc... I think this would help those younger and less experienced rodders get more involved in the hobby. It wouldn't necessarily have to be free to participate, but I think the MSRA could put something on for a very reasonable price.

Another part of this idea is to create a program called "adopt-a-rodder" in which MSRA could pair up a less experienced rodder looking to learn some things with an experienced rodder willing to share their knowledge.

What do you all think about these ideas? Is this something you would be interested in participating in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.