Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 olds super 88 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Colville, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Colville

Colville

Have a question about my starter/ignition switch. Having problems getting the replacement one i bought to work, its a universal one with all the same posts that the one that was in the car when i got it had. Which the one that was in the car was probably not the original. But my main question here is was this car a push button start? Looks like under the dash on the driver side theres a spot for one...but not sure, and maybe thats why im having problems using a regular universal switch. Any help here appreciated, thanks!

2. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

My buddy used to have a 53. It had a chrome push button low on the dash to start it. it also had a button on the floor for the wonderbar radio.

3. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

the 53 does not have a push button start from the factory, if there is one someone added after...................john

4. chitle

chitle
    from ventura CA

Was the old one working without a starter button ? Why are you replacing ?

5. Colville

Colville

The old switch worked once when i got the car, and then the switch blew. So i was using a screw driver for a while to just touch two of the posts together to start the car, which was over riding the blown switch. Now got me a new switch, just like the old one and wired it exactly the same and when i put it to on it will start the car and wont disengage the starter. Im gonna do a little bit more chasing down wires and see if i can figure it out. Also gonna take the new switch back and get a replacement just in case the new one was bad as well. I could start the car with the new switch by touching the starter wire to the starter post in the middle, but would have to pull the wire off so the starter would disengage and the car could run. So hell if i know, didnt have to do that with the old switch and its the exact same. Thanks for the help about the push button!

6. firemancooter

firemancooter

Sounds like you have the "start" wire on the "ign" terminal. There should be a terminal that is only hot when in the crank position. Find the wire that goes to the start terminal on your starter and connect it to that terminal.

7. Colville

Colville

Thanks man, yea imma mess with it as soon as i get a chance after christmas