Register now to get rid of these ads!

65 Rambler American 440 pro street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiotes, Dec 16, 2009.

1. kiotes

kiotes

Well here are a few piuctures (I hope) of my 65 rambler drag car project. This has been a long time coming. I have had this car for 6+ years and most of the work has been done in the last year. I still have a long way to go, but its coming along pretty good now. There will be more pictures to come in the future ( if these work now).

dragrambler1.jpg

dragrambler2.jpg

dragrambler3.jpg

dragrambler4.jpg

dragrambler5.jpg

dragrambler6.jpg

dragrambler7.jpg

2. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

seems to look good but the pics.suck!!!would like to see some more though.

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Looks good, like the other bloke said, I'd love to see some better pics of the build.

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Looks like you are getting ready to go fast. What motor? Please keep us updated.

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

What's wrong with you?? Everybody knows you can't Hot Rod a Rambler!! Sheesh!!!

Just kidding - looks GREAT!!!

6. kiotes

kiotes

Well this is where i will start to get some crap. I have a 500 horse SBC on a stand waiting for a home. I have my eye on a 401 too. The 401 is set up and ready for the track, He ran a 10.50 quarter in a javlin with it and only wants 2500 bucks. (almost cant pass that up for that price) I also have a 454 thats screaming for a stroker kit that need a home too. My future goal is a 1000hp and a Linco trans for the car. I am also shooting for low 10's in the quarter maybe 9 if i get that 1000hp. This shouldnt be a very hard goal to hit, the car will be light. I have some more pics i need to get on the computer, as soon as i do ill post them.

7. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

8. Kiotes, my friend Eric is building a 69 American . He is using a 401 with a 727 torque-flight trans. He will be keeping the stock front end with the trunions but he is narrowing the rear just enough to run a 12 inch tire. He got some Pacer springs and is relocating the hangers and shackles , actually building a new rear frame section. I'm sure he would like to talk to you, PM me and I can get you his info. MIke.

9. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

FOR OH WON!

FOR OH WON!

FOR OH WON!

:) I like AMC stuff.

10. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

It's a drag car -maybe you can run 'em ALL in there....eventually.

11. brandon

brandon

theres one of those on racing junk for sale cheap.....1700 setup for a 12" wheel and 315 or 325's....post up better pics like everyone else said..:D

12. guiseart

guiseart

damn... best picture I see is theone with steelies and dog-dish hubcaps. I can't watch it get all pro-streety... good luck, and have fun.

13. brandon

brandon

forgot to ask ....who's chassis kit did you use?

14. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

if you dont want the motor i might be interested in it.{the 401}

15. 440shawn

440shawn

Great project.

16. kiotes

kiotes

Here are a few more pictures of the car. The chassis is a Chris Alston chassis.

rambler8.jpg

rambler10.jpg

rambler13.jpg

rambler16.jpg

rambler18.jpg

rambler19.jpg

rambler20.jpg

17. kiotes

kiotes

here are the last of the pictures i have, i am waiting to take it back this spring for the rest of the cage work to get completed. lots of mounts to put in, and the floor. So as you can see there was alot of work done to this point, and there is alot of more work to be done before it hits the track. The rear wheels are 15x15 rodlites with a 3 1/2 off set with a 32-16.5-15 Mickey T mounted. The last picture of the tire is just showing that its 16 inches wide.
    All of the welding/tube bending was done at a place called R&D chassis here in the Black Hills. Randy does fantastic work, i wish i could get a close up of his welds. They look like a machine did them.
    When i get mote picture (in a few months ill post them).

rambler22.jpg

rambler24.jpg

rambler25.jpg

rambler26.jpg

rambler27.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

18. kiotes

kiotes

Ok 2 more pictures. This is my daughter Shaylee, she said that she will race the car when she is older. i told her that someday the car will be hers. She just smilled and then asked it we can paint butterflies on it. I told her she will have to wait for the butterflies

rambler24.jpg

rambler31.jpg

19. That's a funny lookin' Nova you got there!

20. jeepman

jeepman
    from az

amazing!!! when you get ready to race and show, be next to a corvette. they just love that. i've had a couple of 64 rambler americans in my lifetime. one of them was even a 440 hardtop. have lots of fun with "your corvette friends". all my so called corvette friends seem to develop ulcers when i say rambler.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  21. Hot Rod magazine ran an article several months ago on AMC's that were turning GREAT times with AMC engines. Indy cylinder head in Indianapolis (known mostly for Mopar stuff) makes some great after market stuff for AMC engines. My gut says 401!
    http://www.indyheads.com/

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

401 for sure. But can we not Pro Street the car? I'm down with the drag car thing. But Pro Street is just so 80's. Give it a nice nostalgic flair.

23. kiotes

kiotes

Im open for suggestions, the car is along way from being done.

24. Yea well I'm into the whole trad pro street thing myself. Man oh man I just can't wait to see more after the '70s and up stuff.

25. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i have an indy intake that has bungs welded in for nos. and a extra dominator plate for the 401.

26. I say run the amc also, but I am a little biased. If you don't I need a spare motor!

27. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

dons got a blower for the 401.im not sure if he will sell it though.

28. kiotes

kiotes

I was reading somewhere about the 401 being one of the best motors to build. They were said that AMC made them to last, steel crank/rods and the blocks were super strong. It also said that you can put 26 pounds of boost to them and not have any issues. the 401 is a future motor for this car, i just dont know when. have to get car rolling first.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

AMC 390's and 401's are some of my favorites. Really strong from the factory. The late 60's 390 Go Package is pretty bad ass.

30. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

People are still building pro street cars? How about stretching the nose, changing the wheels and calling it a street funny! You could go nutso with a red white and blue panel paint job while you're at it.