Register now to get rid of these ads!

SCAM: Crosley Midget Racer on Ebay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crosleykook, Dec 15, 2009.

1. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

I'm not sure if anyone on here is bidding on the 1950's Crosley Midget Race Car that's currently on Ebay, but thought I'd offer a warning that the race history and rebuilt race motor are phony.

The seller implies that he's had the car a long time and offers to include a hand-written race history from the 85 year old previous owner. He also says the motor is a race engine. When I contacted him he gave me a bogus story about the shop that rebuilt the engine.

Truth is that the guy bought the car LAST WEEK from a HAMBer (jpm49c) who did not include (or have any) documentation of the car's racing history (and is not anywhere near 85 years old). the same car can still be seen listed in the HAMB 'cars for sale'. the 'race' motor is a completely stock Crosley motor that was pulled out of a car 25 years ago.

If anyone needs details I posted links and photos on my crosley blog:
    http://crosleykook. blogspot. com

Anyway, thought I'd post just in case anyone here is thinking about bidding on that car. I can't believe people pull this stuff- I really hope the guy gets busted for fraud.

Attached Files:

2. Did you contact eBay about the fraudulent listing?

3. After studying the Crosley link given, and the Ebay listing. This Ebay listing looks to be normal :D, for an Ebay vintage car sale listing.

4. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

I did send Ebay a message about this, but since the fraudulent parts of the listing don't all into their easy categories ('odometer', 'title',) I'm not convinced that they'll do much about it. We'll see.

5. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

BTT for the daytime crowd

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pretty extensive touring regime for what would have been a 3rd rate car. wonder if the seller is on here too...

7. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Interesting sleuthing. Love the details you link too...

8. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Is it gone from eBay? I couldn't find it.

9. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

...nevermind, found it on your link.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  10. freebird101

freebird101

well still even if it is not it still looks nice, do you thnk it is worth the price ($2,025.00)

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well yo can see in teh 3rd picture the dripping paint and the black they missed covering on the bottom,,,just a shame someone did'nt just redo it right and then sell it.. Still looks like an easy resto

12. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

Looks more like a T/Q than a midget, experts??

13. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

I think these are usually called TQ Midgets... he listed it as a Midget, so that's what i've been going with.

According to the original seller (jpm49c) the car has been through the wringer and needs EVERYTHING, which is why he sold it for less than $1000.

whoever ends up with this car is going to be bummed once they get a look at what they bought.