Register now to get rid of these ads!

how did you find your dream car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by o2bdone, Dec 15, 2009.

1. It all started about 3 years ago when i was sitting on the couch going threw the job ads.I had just been laid off work and so had my wife.We were going crazy looking for a job and just needed to take a drive to relax for a min.We decided to take a drive up to her aunts house in victorville ca.On the way there i was looking threw the car ads and saw an add for a 1951 mercury for sale(my dream car).I looked at my wife and asked her to make a small detour before we get to her aunts house to see a car.She thought i was crazy but went anyway.I gave the man a call and he said sure come on down.I should up to the house and there she was sitting right in frount of the house.My wife took one look at me and she knew it was over i had to have the car.I spent some time talking to the the old man sharing stories (him talking me listening).Well when it was time to go i said i would give him a call when i came up with the cash he then said i tell you what ill lower the price because i see you really like mercs as i do and ill hold it for you.I asked my wife what she thought and she said go for it.I had the blessing from the wife it was on.A week laiter i had the cash but not enough to tow the car and the old man said dont worry about it tow the car and get it back to me laiter.I was blessed.I towed the car got my job back about a week laiter as did my wife and payed the money back . sometimes you have to take a chance to get what you want in life.

2. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Started with a set of chrome 79' Cadillac rims & an MTX 1000W amp, Traded them and a bit O' cash for my 49' F1. After keeping that a little while, i sold it off for a nice profit i didnt expect. Bought my 58' Del Ray, that project came within' 95% befor i relized i wanted something different. Looking on Craigslist i found an ad with one sentance, no pictures, a number and a price, called up and found out the guy was 4 miles from my house. Checked it out and fell in love, to me the cadillac was just a beautiful machine & i had to have it. With a bit of cash saved up and the rest from the sale of the 58, i was able to get it & have the torn-up trans rebuilt. Since then its been a awesome ride, i'll never be done with it, i'm alright with that.
    [​IMG]

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I haxe a new dream every nite. Still looking.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Did a search for '1957' on craigslist.

[​IMG]

5. jw_deuce

jw_deuce
    from Central OH

Same here! I have so many cars going through my head at all times, it would be hard to say what one I would call my "dream" car

-Justin

6. BBobb

BBobb

Started with a 53 Buick then to 29 model a then a 50 Buick then a 47 De Soto and still itching my way to tha 59 coupe de ville.....Some day!!

7. The last 3 cars I have purchased have been the word of mouth from close friends >>>>.

8. 39studebaker

39studebaker

I know what I want I just cant afford it right now... I want a 49-50 merc chopped and channeled etc....so I found a similar vehicle that I am able to build now, a 54 bel air. So far I am doing everything but the chop and thats due to the fact I cant find anyone I trust to do it yet....

9. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Dream car? Which one and when?

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i have a new dream car about every 6 months.....

11. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Bullshittin with my uncle...asked when he would sell me his truck....he said to give him the $2k he paid for it and I could have it.

12. jw_deuce

jw_deuce
    from Central OH

+1 there are some good finds on racingjunk.com

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

By mistake,good fortune,luck.whatever you wish to call it.Went to look at some parts a few hundred miles from home and took a wrong turn.Found a small town and there was a old dealership set up with vintage signs and old cars sitting around.Stopped and talked to the owner and he asked what I drove.Told him I was into Studebakers and we went on visiting then he stopped and told me a farmer dropped by now and then and had told him that he had a "crazy looking Studebaker pickup" sitting in a quonset.
    The guy in town had never seen the truck but agreed to take me along and drive out to the farm.Got there and soon found it.1939 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup.We both spent a good 20 minutes looking at it and he said he would help me get it by talking to the farmer.My avatar is the truck.Somedays it pays to talk to strangers

14. robtech

robtech

my dream car is definately a 1937 hudson terraplane

will i ever own one? god i hope so!!

also want a lincoln continental real bad

15. A 1929 dodge sedan in the buy and sell from my area, I get there to look at it and I had met the guy 20 years before at a local speed shop. He was only into muscle car stuff never knew he had the '29, ended up buying it for a couple grand. Rob.

16. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

im still looking for all 25 or so of them....Sooooo many "Dream" cars

17. Still looking.....................

18. I looked, and looked, and looked some more over a period of years. Stopped at every
    little (and big) salvage yard, drove to people's houses where someone told me they
    thought they had seen the type of car I wanted. Finally found my 1947 Plymouth
    convertible inside a small one car garage on the premesis of a little salvage yard at
    the west edge of Springfield, MO in 1973. It hadn't run for a few years.

The owner of the place quoted me a price, which I agreed to, then I asked if I could
    make him some payments on it as I didn't have the cash handy at the time. He said
    OK. So, over the next few months I sent him checks regularly and got it paid for.

Then the time came to go get it......took a set of wheels and tires plus a tow bar.
    He pulled the car out with his old wrecker.....I installed the tires, the tow bar, then
    hit the road back to Joplin. About a 70 mile drive. Big smile all the way home.

Had wanted a car like that since high school days, and it turned out to be the only
    one like it in the area. Have not found another in usable shape since then....were a couple
    badly damaged and rusted ones in salvage yards
    that were beyond my capabilities to fix. Persistence paid off in this case.

Attached Files:

19. kustoms36

kustoms36

i'm located in montreal,after reading an add on kijiji montreal,saw a 36 frame for sale for $125 price was great so calling the seller,he told me is an estate sale,and they haves lot of stuffs....after driving 1 hr, unfortunatly the frame was not a ford frame,take a look of others stocks,founds a corvette64 complete but need resto,for $7500 cdn bought the corvette...take a look in field a 40 coupe deluxe in storage take numbers of owner but not for sale?%?$%$/after 6 months of weekly calls bought the 40 coupe.....after every weeks for 2 months bought parts from the estate sale now i'm broken but happy!!

20. Abomb

Abomb

craigslist......via searchtempest.com , which allows you to search any radius from your zipcode that you select.....

[​IMG]

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I have one and so far all Ido is dream about it.

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I have one and so far all Ido is dream about it.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1963 I was a 16 year old high school Sophomore who had a passion for cool cars. I had a fresh drivers license and the crafts teacher had a 51 Merc coupe for sale as he also had a 50 something Chev fastback that he was playing with. I bought the Merc for 175.00 and later found out that I could have got it for 150.00 I had it for most of 32 years selling it once and buying it back a year later. A guy with more money than sense caught me at the right time and it went away but is now a pretty sharp but not hamb friendly car with a 75 Monte Carlo Chassis under it and a 455 Olds under the hood. 51 Mercs are still probably my favorite cars.
    The 48 Chev pickup was never my dream as I bought it as a 75.00 beater and then
    did it up painted and upholstered to take to the 73 Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa because there was no way my T bucket was going to be ready. It has since become part of the family and will most likely always stay in the family.

24. robtech

robtech

part of me hates you

post some pics of the terraplane!! or just send them straight to me

25. In August of 2008 I walked into an A&W and next to the cash till was a small poster that read "1929 Model A Coupe, Runs and Drives, all original $5000" I almost pissed myself I was so stoked!
    I immediately called the number and someone answered saying it was their uncles car to phone him because the nephew did not know anything about it.
    I called the the uncle and got his voice mail so I left a message.
    Next day nothing, so I called and left another message.
    Two more days went by and I was starting to lose hope, but I called and left one more message..
    The next day I was driving my Girlfriend to the airport and my phone rang. It was the Uncle!
    Turns out the Model A was about 5 minutes away from the airport!!
    I raced to the airport, kicked my girlfriend out and raced to the small town of Beumount to look at it.
    I met him in town and he took me out to his farm and drove up to a small barn. Opened the doors and there it was!
    It was filthy, covered in bird shit and dust, he opened the door got in and fired it up!
    After looking at it closer I found out it was a 1928, not a 29 but that didn't matter to me.
    I drove it around his yard giggling like a little kid and said I'll take it!
    Of course though I didn't have $5000 burning a hole in pocket so I took a 20% cash advance on my Visa and went back the next day to buy it.
    Later that month I sold 3 basket case Model A's (2 coupes and 1 tudor) for $2500 and some other parts to pay off the loan with the devil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I am getting ready to go the first drive in it, about 3 hours after I bought it. The front bumper was already off and it was well on its way to becoming a hot rod!
    [​IMG]

And here is what it looks like now. Still powered by the four banger, only now with a Model B carb, straight piped and a different ignition. This picture was taken at the drag strip, it ran the quarter in 23 seconds at 55mph. To date the top speed is 70mph, but it took way more than a 1/4 mile to get there haha.
    [​IMG]

And here is the new AV8 chassis i'm building for it. Should be on the road this spring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Haven't found mine yet... Check out my signature.

27. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

I don't own my dream car, but I did find it...sort of. Searched for 1958 Edsels on ebay a few years ago and there she was. It was listed twice, sold the second time. One day, when I can afford to make an offer, I will track her down. This one particular car will be mine one day.

Attached Files:

28. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ive had so many dream cars.Most were given to me .I started out in the hobby penniless and some guy gave me a set of cragars That was my start about 20 years ago .1st car was a 72 chevelle 2nd rendition after I crashed first car .Another 72 chevelle .71 elcamino ,71 monte ,69 firebird,69 olds 4 door sports coupe . 32 truck project and 29 A roadster .Had other cars besides that that I did not finish 41 chevy.56 ford truck,66 lemans .Caddy powered pickup 76,(4) 72 lemans A couple more chevelles .,Never liked them.The finished ones I rebuilt them all.Bodywork,paint motors,Had some good friends Grew up without pop but we are friends now.Its a shame materials went up.and these cars were a dime a dozen ,The next generation will suffer...If you can dream it you can build it.........My story.........

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009