Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Flat Hat (27x, part 3)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Aug 10, 2009.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I guess this thread needed some drama. He can have his 5 minutes back, by the way. Gary

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Speaking of drama... I just realized that if you click back and forth between previous and next you can see the body move up and down. Gary

Attached Files:

3. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

That's FUN!!!!!!

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not much exciting to report this time. But the wiring has started in earnest and Guy is having a LOT of fun with it. The engine is wired along with about 75 percent of the regular automive items. He is doing the computer now and will move to the rest in the next day or so. The H4 headlignts are in, too. Eyes! It has eyes! And, drum roll please (or not), the window washer bottle was filled. A first (and only?) for a hot rod? The bottle is a repro Camaro item. Did you ever think you'd live to see this day? Later, Gary

Attached Files:

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

looking great,"near as much fun as a steam loco"keeper chugging:cool:

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx Dana... enjoying the beating the Bucs are taking from Miami? Gary

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Gang,
    This is a little late, but we started the motor in the truck Tuesday evening! So far only a few minor drips and annoying new car glitches. Jeez, the V6 sounds like a tractor without any muffler. Had to replace a fuel line that was dripping gas (a braided metal line I accidentally shorted out my dumb ass self weeks ago, which evidently melted some of the Teflon liner inside in the process!) and cut away some of a dust cover I built for the bell housing that was rubbing on the flex-plate. What a racket! All is normal now, moving on.
    KC, the super-smart lady at the title office got my temp tags / title application rolling, so I'm legal to drive it once we hook up the brakes! Woo Hoo! Still a big crunch to try to make it to Daytona next week for the Turkey Run. Not much sleep in the next few days.
    I'd send a new photo, but you can't hear the sound! So here is an old pix. Make your own motor noises, please. Later, Gary

Attached Files:

8. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Gary, That is sure one neat looking "T" you have. Looking forward to more updates.

41 Dave

9. 666Irish

666Irish

Its DEFINITLY NOT a hat ! Its not even an cap , bent or straight ! Just wasted 5 mins of my life ,thanks for nothing . THIS IS A HAT.

[​IMG]
    Kidding! Maybe he thought the thread title said "Asshat", and he thought you were talking about him.
    Ride looks kick ass, man! Would be proud to have that in my garage!

Steve

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  10. mckustoms

mckustoms

The T looks bad ass man. I like it!

11. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

Very exciting, CONGRATS!!!

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Glad you are enjoying this gang... grabbing a sandwich and then back to work. We hope to have all the wiring done this evening. Good God! Gary

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Well... yet another "debut" date has come and gone. First we were a no show at NSRA Tampa, and now the Turkey Run is out. Sorry. Just too much left to do. The wiring is done but not fully checked out. The bed is being wired and some of the boards installed. The driver's seat is in, as is the carpet and the consoles are looking good. Next week we will wire-in the dash / pad before putting the column back in for the last time and inserting the windshield. Then we have to bleed the brakes, hook up the steering and do all the basic mech / electrical checks. Some system programming is also required for the little black boxes. Doors will be last. The weather was rainy and dark today, so no update photos. Hope to get more tomorrow...

But in the spirit of the weekend, I'd like to give a special thanx all the folks who have helped me out with this project. I have photos of most of them but not all. Without them, I'd still be making sketches and have long lists of things to do. Special thanx to my brother and sister, Monte and Cindy, and to Guy, Kirt, Doug, Dale, Ron, Steve, Chris, Claude, members of the Tampa Knights and all my other rodding buddies / dealers / supporters in the area. Later, Gary

Attached Files:

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Well... we still aren't finished and will probably miss this Saturday's deadline, too. But by the New Year, I swear. Here are some recent pix, getting alligned / exhaust and then with the bed on for a quick test. The muffer is just right, not too quiet but mellow. Should be ok at interstate speeds. We will take the bed off again tomorrow to shim it here and there a little. The electrics are working ok but some systems are still untested, like the paddle shifters and door latches. The interior guy padded the seats a little too much and I lost some headroom - so that is also getting un-screwed. Engine runs fine, but with a little belt or tensioner squeak when cold - we haven't cured that yet. All in all, it's looking pretty good. It still has a little of a mini-dump truck look because of the bed height, but I like it just fine. This truck has a long wheelbase, about 115", so it wears the bed up there pretty well. Another possible change is to reverse the hood scoop ala cowl induction versus the big scoop in front. I just got a smaller air filter and if it works out, I think I'll go with the reversed scoop - to help keep the bugs and crap out and to help in the aero department, too. Later, Gary

Attached Files:

15. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

Almost there, looking good Gary. I kinda like the scoop facing the cowl.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx Doug... it won't be long, yeah, yeah, it won't be long... Gary

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hot off the press... we got the bed aligned and pretty level today while also raising the back a little to get the rake to flow better with the contour lines on the cab. Isn't it crazy what just another silly 1/4 inch makes? In a week or so I hope to be zooming around town! Later, Gary

Attached Files:

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not much new, photo-wise, but we did get the scoop pop-riveted on a few days ago. I had been toying with the idea of installing the scoop 180 out from this, ala cowl inducton / sprint car style, but I couldn't get a filter that would work with the existing hole in the hood and scoop's curved end. Now we need to come up with some sort of grille / screen for the front of it. The bed is all but done except for a couple passes thru the table saw on one plank and to install the hard cover, which should be done tomorrow. After that, we will fit out the doors with glass and locks, and get the brakes working better. Hopefully we will be out for some test drives later this week! Later, Gary

Attached Files:

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL