Register now to get rid of these ads!

Route 66 Drive- Planning stage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tin Indian, Nov 7, 2009.

1. xix32

xix32

when you get into eastern oklahoma find one of the best kept secrets, this original section of 9' pavement that hasn't been covered over. was built this way to save money by paving just a single lane road. the idea was to drive in the center untill a car would come at you, then move over with your right side wheels on the cravel and hope the other driver did the same.
    [​IMG]

2. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

Cadillac Ranch, just west of Amarillo:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

3. xix32

xix32

then find the "blue whale" in catoosa,oklahoma. it's been closed for a long time, but we were able to get in for photos.
    [​IMG]

4. xix32

xix32

the high point of our trip was staying at the "wigwam" in holbrook,az. it's right on old rt66. still operated by the family that built it.
    [​IMG]

5. xix32

xix32

if you like highway archaeology, find this cool cast concrete bridge in the ghost town (no longer on maps) of two guns, az. it's the old rt66 built over a canyon in the early 1920's it's near the meteor crater
    [​IMG]

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Congrats on snarin a keeper. Mine dosent even want to go to the store.
    Yore in for a great trip, no matter what you see.

7. hotrod34truck

hotrod34truck

roadsideamerica.com gives u a list of all the odd ball stuff to see anywhere in the united states its got some pretty cool stops on there check it out

8. And if things work out spend the night at the Munger Moss Motel in Lebanon MO. It was the real deal back then. They still cater to Rt. 66'ers ... and there's a cool little Rt. 66 library in Lebanon within the main library there.

MMMungerMossMotel.jpg

9. truckdude1

truckdude1

Start at the intersection of Lake Shore Drive (always good to start a trip with LSD) and Jackson St in Chicago. Jackson is one way the wrong way so head north one block to Adams St. and start your 2000 + mile trip west.

Be sure and have breakfast at Lou Mitchell's 565 W. Jackson. www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com. They filmed a scene from Ali there. Lots of good hotels in Chicago but book early in the Summer.

Much of Rte 66 follows Ogden Ave and I55 frontage roads in Il.

10. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Check the link below !
    60'

11. yeah kellys is ok...if you want to some GOOD new mexican food stop at garcias on route 66 (central) and 14th st, or any of the places in "old town" which is just off of route 66 and rio grande. if you will be in new mexico around the holidays the luminarias(new mexican version of christmas lights) are a must see in old town, very pretty and it takes you back to the old days.

12. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

Big deal! We all drive like that here.

13. We took Rt66 at Amarillo to Bakersfield. Way cool.

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've driven the road a bit, it's way more fun than the interstate, but dayum is it slooooooow!

I'm hoping to do the same thing in my car soon. I'm packing a radar detector just to be on the safe side :)

15. Straight8's&Aces

Straight8's&Aces

A friend of mine and fellow street freak is getting married soon and he planned on running route 66 for his honeymoon too. Hes still researching what to do too but he did say on the way back hes going to Utah to see the bonneville salt flats and he wants to see Ed Roths grave. good luck on the trip

16. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

It went to Bakersfield?????? Maybe awrong turn in Cucamonga.... not Rancho.

17. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

Try to time your pass through Shamrock, TX after dark. The U-Drop Inn looks awesome after dark, with all of the neon lit up. This is the building that inspired the tire shop in the movie "Cars". This pic was taken on our way back from picking up the '39 in west Texas. Have fun!!!

Attached Files:

18. bigken

bigken

19. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

Congrats on the your upcoming nuptuals, There is an alot to still see on the "route" but you can see as much or as little as you want. The Blue Whale is pretty cool. The Big Texan in Amarillo is decent food and an entertaining meal (almost always someone trying for a free steak). Make sure you spend the night in Tucumcari at the Blue Swallow. The drive up to Oatman AZ is pretty cool and the town of Oatman is another entertaining side trip.

There is alot out there to read about things to do and see, take your pick, stop and look around here and there.

20. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

get the book: route 66 backroads by Jim Hinckley Its all the stuff thats a few miles off the highway that you would never know about. the kingman to seiglman loop in arizona is not to be missed !!!

21. yeah and then Kimgman to Oatman up the "back"road............

22. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

dam homie,you just suggested the worst place in town.Garcias WAS good at one time but is garbage now.

23. ardyboy

ardyboy

more fun than a barrel of burros-----good eats in the Oatman Hotel
    slow down as you cruise the desert in the area and keep your eyes peeled--you'll see real wild burros running through the scrub.

Attached Files:

24. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

Blue Whale Catoosa Oklahoma, stay the night in Lincoln Motel, Chandler Oklahoma on 66, Red Round Barn Arcadia, Oklahoma, Pop's new diner in Edmond Oklahoma on 66, Route 66 Bowling Alley OKC just celebrated there 50th anniversary, Route 66 Museum Clinton OK, Lucielle's Hydro OK...
    And don't forget Rock Cafe Stoud OK... just reopened...

Get all your OK info here...

http://www.oklahomaroute66.com/

25. well i dont know i just ate there this weekend and the chile was actually hot, not burn your asshole hot but had a kick to it. well im gonna try to redeem my self her for that recomindation, on west central around atricsco and route 66(central) there is a steak house called Monte Carlo, the place looks getho and makes you think why would i eat here, but... it is soooooo delicious. my recomindations would be either a green chile burger or one of their steaks, generous portions and a true diamond in the rough... i hope that redeems me:rolleyes:

26. quad4rods

quad4rods
    from denver

I second Earls in Gallup and Old Town in Albuqureque. The Metor Crater is a must , not only because it is cool but every time you see it in a movie or on TV you will relive your super trip.

27. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

I eat at the Monte once a week

28. nice very yummy:p:D and if you wanna piss of a restorer visit 905 US 66 E just east of alburquerque. This is archie lewis' place and he does not like hot rodders, but he has a museum filled with all kinds of cars, as well as a yard full of cars rusting in peace. my pops has known this guy for ever and kicked him off of his land (pre museum days) when he found out what he was doing to the 34:eek:

29. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Rt. 66
    I have no A/C in the 49 sled. will this pose a problem ?
    I was figuring leaving the East Coast late April / early May and taking a month or so to make the trip.
    Do I really need A/C. ?

30. Special Ed

Special Ed

No, not that time of year. Once you get towards the warmer (western) portion of your trip, there is no humidity to speak of. I have no a/c in any vehicle I own...