Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Lakes Dragway in WI CLOSING?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edelbroke, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I thought that would get somebodys attention. I just got this email today-

"There will be a meeting on Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 at 6:00PM, held at the Town Hall for the Town of Paris located at 16607 Burlington Rd, Union Grove, WI. This meeting will be in regards to a study of noise and light pollution alleged to eminate from Great Lakes Dragaway. If you can possibly make it to this meeting, we would GREATLY appreciate it! We need as many fans of GLD as possible. We are sorry for the short notice, as the town scheduled this meeting with very little advance notice. Tell EVERYONE you know who is either a racer or a fan of the sport! This is VERY important and we need your support!!"

It would be a shame to see it close...

2. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Byron tried this also. Not succesfully. Lets hope GLD wins out. I race there. Keep us posted please. If I owned a track, Id offer to pay a head tax to the town.

3. It really gets my blood boiling when I see this shit....I don't understand, if you don't like noise, don't by a house near a race track! What is wrong with people...

4. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I Agree!
    Most of the time, those tracks were built well out in the country, and its the people who moved in around the track, not a track being built in the middle of the people! Unfortunately, many of the tracks are owned by older people who just can't justify the cost of the fight to keep it open.
    There's a circle track here in Minnesota. It used to be out in the middle of no where. The track has spent a TON of money on improvements of the years, and is now a 1st class facility. I was out there a couple of years ago, and noticed there has been a large housing development built less than a 1/4 mile from the track now. I would bet the track will have the same kind of fight on their hands in a few years!

5. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

It's not too late. The meetings is tonight and there looking for all the people who can show up to support the track to be there.
    Somebody on the town council has a bug up their ass and too much time on their hands. It seems to happen in every town at some point in time...

6. Biscayner

Biscayner
    from MN

I would rather see the airport by me close and make a dragstrip out of it. The noise from the airplanes is worse than any car that I can remember. Pretty sad if this happens

7. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

I have been going to "The Grove" for 25 years since Broadway Bob ran it and I am sure it ran for 25 years before that. I will be out of town tonight but would hate to see it closed its almost historical ,keep me posted, on the flip side I know a lot of bracket racers that are making the trip to Byron , Kakauna and Route 66 or Cordova
    because of poor management, car count is waaay down and not so much from the economy. Good Luck

8. Why buy a house near an airport if you don't like airplane noise?

9. BTB-Derby

BTB-Derby

Boy do I hear you. That's the same thing when people move out of the city & bitch about the farmers moving equipment from field to field & that's only twice a year.

10. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

I spent ALOT of time at GLD when I was going to school in North Chicago, I remember the track being out in the boonies (coarse this was 93-95) I guess the area has built up and people are bitching now ?

I would hate to see the place close, Ive got ALOT of great memories there and pictures - where else cuold you see the Green Mamba burn a car, watch a snowmobile make a pass down the 1/4 mile, and see a monster truck crush a car all at the same time - A gearheads heaven IMO

11. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Light pollution! WTF?

12. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, this is CRAPPY. Better last-minute word than NONE...

I hope Capt. Bob and Arlo at Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio (<cite>www.[B]wisconsinhotrodradio[/B].com</cite>) announced this on some of their recent shows.

If you can possibly attend this thing tonite, PLEASE DO!

13. oldrodslive

oldrodslive

I'm no lawyer, but you would think that some type of "seniority law" would exist for situations like this.

I wish I lived a bit closer, I would be there for sure! Please let us know how this turns out. Also, is there anyone that we can write to that has a voice in this matter?

-Mike

14. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

I was out there last year for the Hunnert Car Heads Up and it was my first visit in a number of years, and it's STILL out in the boonies! Somebody is pissed about something, the track is out in FARM LAND STILL!!! We have lost plenty of trasks, Santa Fe, Crown Point and Lake Geneva just to name a few, we DON'T need to loose anymore!

15. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

what the fuck, let,em go fry politicians ,they just hate to see any one havin fun I sure there will be a day when we have to move back to the 50,s its so dam sad shit

16. I just pulled this information off the towns web site. How about we send e-mails and/or make some phone calls this afternoon!

Maybe the town fathers don't realize the tracks historical importance to folks from all around the country.

TOWN BOARD
    Town Chairman:
    Virgil Gentz
    16906 - 38th Street
    Kenosha, WI 53144
    (262) 859-2748
    [email protected]

Supervisors:
    Kenneth Monson
    15702 - 38th Street
    Kenosha, WI 53144
    (262) 859-2843
    [email protected]

Ronald Kammerzelt
    13400 - 7th Street
    Union Grove, WI 53182
    (262) 859-2067
    [email protected]

Clerk / Treasurer:
    Linda Terry
    16607 - Burlington Road
    Union Grove, WI 53182
    (262) 859-3006
    [email protected]

Deputy Clerk / Treasurer
    Lori Edquist
    [email protected]

<!--msnavigation--><!--msnavigation--><!--msnavigation--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#3399ff>

T
    own of Paris Safety Building
    16607 Burlington Road
    Union Grove, WI 53182
    Phone: (262) 859-3006 Fax: (262) 859-3008
    E-mail: [email protected]

Copyright 2004, 2005 & 2009 Town of Paris
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

WTF? They ARE out in the middle of nowhere!

18. mac762

mac762

what the fuck is light pollution?

19. Same thing as when they light up baseball and football fields for the high school games on Friday nights. I wonder if anyone ever recorded the decible levels at a football game?

I sent my e-mail...who else did?

20. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

Light polution aparently is a big deal to some people. We have an observatory that is a historical site that all the local towns around Lake geneva have light ordinances for Large new construction or have to be approved, when the dogtrack opened in Delavan the lights in the parking lot affected the observetorys ability to see "The Heavens" The closest town to the observetory has Hooded street lights to control the light polution escapining into the sky.

They closed Lake geneva raceway down 5 or 6 years ago to use property for development Then things slowed dramaticly. I heard that they wanted to lease track back to original owner to run as a raceway for a couple years while they decided what to do. City of Lake Geneva wouldn't rezone land back. Once it was changed to residential land they didn't have to worry about noise complaints. Now track sits abandoned and i heard that developers wanted to donate land that they spent Millions on to buy, back to the City so they don't have to Pay taxes on it. What a waste.

21. You can be sure it's always about raising the tax base. 30 or 40 homes put much more $$$ in the towns bank account. Never mind the extra schools, police, fire and similar services the new residents of all those houses will require. The new tax income will go out faster than it comes in.

22. Detroit Dragway closed for some of the same reasons as they are using at this Drag strip. The land was also very valuable compared to the original price for the property.
    The area now is a series of warehouse that are half empty and going down hill fast.
    George

23. Good point! I live near a High School and the Airport, I hear the marching band a lot more than I hear Lears and Citations. :p

24. So are they closing down airports with flight paths over housing developments too????

25. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Just so everyone knows, they try this shit every year, for at least the past two. The houses are even on the other side of the crest of a slight rise, long grade hill. Asshats.

26. oldrodslive

oldrodslive

Emails sent.

-Mike

27. gas pumper

gas pumper

Light Polution:

My neihbor next door at a commercial building had to remove a spotlight lighting his driveway that is shared by both buildings. 12 foot wide, 8 is his 4 is mine. The town sent him a letter saying his light could not shine on my building. I didn't complain to the town about this, they did this on their own. And don't fix it in 7 days, go see the judge and even if they let it slide you still pay the 35$ cost of court.

28. Rusty52

Rusty52

Same old bullshit, different place. Racetracks and airports are always the culprits according to the morons at city hall. Nevermind the people who build a house with the venues in their backyard. Good luck with the fight!

29. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

Sent email to 4 of the listed people

30. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

WI is really turning into an anti-car state. First the attempt to ban collector/specialty vehicles and now this! Emails sent!