Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Interested in Von Dutch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy Gasser, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I typed a rather big post last night about Von Dutch but it got deleted. To save myself a lot of time in case it gets deleted I will just show a picture. This alone shows his talent.

[​IMG]

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I had no idea he made pennies... I thought he just made trucker caps!
    But seriously, that is a very nice penny!

3. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Tiago said he was a dickhead and that he "enjoyed his substances too much",, but then again Tiago, he's used to ass kissing and Von Dutch would tell you or anyone to get Fu(k#d in a second.
    That makes him my hero as I do exactly that often. I can't stand fake people.

Attached Files:

4. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

If by talent you 're refering to the small lettering , any striper that's worth a damn can do that , it's no big deal !! In comparison to some of todays stripers Von Dutch was'nt that good . However every striper today owes him a bit of gratitude for paving the way for all the rest .

5. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

I met Von Dutch in the early 80's, when Ed Roth used to have his Rat Fink Christmas Party in Fullerton, CA at Kim Dedic's Sign & Striping shop on Fenderway. Von Dutch was a talented man, and you can't take that away from him. He had a great time at the parties, but was usually a little too intoxicated. He died pennyless living in his old bus in Santa Paula. He was a tired grouchy old man, but didn't seem to care about money or fame. His striping and line work was not real clean as he aged, but someone made a lot of money off his name and logo.
    Mooneyes pretty much took over the party as you know it now, but it started out with about 25-30 stripers and sign painters (Ed Roth, Von Dutch, Kim Dedic, Tom Otis, Ruben Holguin, Bruce the Brush, Shakey Jake, Kenny Youngblood, Steve Stanford, Herb Martinez, Bob Bond, to name a few) The parking lot had a few rods & kustoms parked in it, and someone would park a car in the middle of the shop and everyone would lay down thier artwork and striping.

6. cwl52

cwl52
    BANNED

x2.

7. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I saw a sticker on a 32 ford window once, that said "Ken Howard hates you"

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Comes in handy when striping hot wheels.

9. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Thirteen years ago I got in touch with a lot of the guys that went to Kim and Ed's . We've been getting together every year since and have added new stripers to our little party on an invitational bases, so it does'nt get out of control like it did at Kand E. Last Sat. we had around 50 guys at this years party .

10. are these penny's worth more than a regular penny if they are von dutch..? i have a huge penny jar..i should look threw for one

11. toml24

toml24

I have 1955 photos of a 1932 Ford Victoria that was painted with flames by Von Dutch for a case of beer and raced in the jalopy derby by Parnelli Jones at Long Beach Veterans Stadium and Orange Show Stadium in Riverside, Ca. I'll see if I can dig the photos out of the computer and post them.
    Tom

12. duanedragon

duanedragon
    from pdx

All that I hear about him is that he was a drunk a$$hole. There are plenty of jerks in the industry who make way better role models. No one I know over the age of 25 wears that stuff branded with his name (or any other semi-skilled fab-tard a'la Jesse "If gunshot wounds were fashionable I would be bleeding to death" James"). It's a shame personality cults get built around guys like that but people like Clessie Cummins and Heinrich Nordhoff are unknown.

13. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Apparently you don't know shit about him then. He was an asshole because he didn't like fake people. From what i was told,and this is by people that have worked with him and were friends of his,he was a good guy,but you didn't want to piss him off and he was big on mutual respect. If you acted like a jackass,he'd treat as such. By the way,Kenny Howard paved the way for a lot of stripers. By the way,Jesse,another person you knock in your post,is a skilled fabricator and a good guy to boot. So,might wanna bite your tongue and do some research noob before you spout off.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  14. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Cummins,the father of the American Diesel,and Nordhoff,the real mastermind behind Volkswagen. Yup,no one knows who they are. By the way,got post an intro and feel free to message Jesse on here and let him know how you feel,just do a search for his name JESSEJAMES on here

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  15. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

some of the guys in our club have those

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well sombody's panties are in a bunch, huh? Semi-skilled? Ok. It's certainly your story and you can tell it your way, but if misters Cummins and Nordhoff had any class they'd most likely slap the taste outta your mouth for this comment. Personality cults? Let's all act like you and we can develop a cult of lemmings.

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Back to the cave duanedragon. 2 posts and youre bad, time out for you sparky.
    I went by Ed Roth's shop in fullerton when I was in high school. We were on ten speeds and went in. He was there and I had a brand new dark green peugeot bike. He saw it and said he wanted to have a look. Before I knew what was going on he had it on his bench and was going over it with a light green stripe, I was amazed that he did it first off, and secondly that he could make the tubes of the frame come to life and be so big. My Dad was so pissed. I got hit by a car many years later on that bike and the cops tossed it into the trash for me. I'd so have that dented and bented bike hangin in the house now.
    I had built the Rat Fink models and felt like I was in the house of God. He was really just a regular dude with amazing friends and an amazing talent.

18. spinman

spinman
    from new jersey

"....I went by Ed Roth's shop in fullerton when I was in high school. We were on ten speeds and went in. He was there and ......"

I so hate you Cali boys. Imagine riding your bike to your neighbor's place, and that neighbor is Ed Roth!!:D

My only claim to fame was delivering newspapers to Frankie Avalon's parents. BFD.:(

Spin

19. Czuch,

Your story kinda sums up teenage hotrodding, doesn't it? Kids check out a local (national in this case) legend...legend does something totally cool out of the blue...kids are diggin' it...dad is totally bent: "Whadja want to screw up a brand-new (bike/car/motorcycle/skateboard etc.) for?" Kids think it's even more cool after that...

Made my day. :)

I think I must be a bad father...my kid just bought a newer Mustang & I'm the one corrupting him....:D

20. tjackson

tjackson
    from Oregon

Mad respect to Dutch even if he was a prick. From all the research I have done he was only a prick to those that deserved it. Being a striper myself I can totally relate to having to tell people to F-OFF! People can be dicks and in my opinion if you take your car to a striper to have something done to your car that you lack the ability to do your self, then you should check your attitude it at the door!

21. HUH??:confused: I may be FNG but at least I know what isn't cool. Show some respect.

22. Stripers are a bit like tattoo artists, they do their own thing and march to the beat of a different drum. Any of each I've ever known are a tad quirky, which I have no problem with. All have no problem telling you where to get off and will be glad to adjust your attitude at no charge.

Bob

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Funny how every time the name Von Dutch is mentioned an argument begins.
    If you ever read one of his last letters the arguments/observations would be about other things.
    The man did his thing, lots of people liked it, and the legend began.

24. ts3x65mph

ts3x65mph

Von Dutch

Attached Files:

25. There is a list of words, guaranteed to start a shit storm.
    Rat Rods, Von Dutch, Gold Chainer, Barn Find, Ebay, etc.

Just another Band Wagon for the whiners to jump on,
    because they have nothing else to contribute..

26. Thanks for the post, the pinstriped globe was done for
    the Sundays with Von Dutch book. A good read.

27. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

when he passed (1991 I think?) I went to his memorial in a Laguna beach art museum and had a great time. He had lots of friends and followers and I heard alot of cool stories. One of my favs was: I think it was jefferies(?) who had to have a car striped by the next morning but V.D didnt feel like stripin that day so they locked him in the shop with a carton of smokes and a couple six packs. The next morning every thing in the shop and office was striped exept the car. Once the media labeled him a racist, alcholic genius the whole V.D clothing kinda fell apart but that label is why I like him so much!

28. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Dutch did pave the road for us all...

Here is a practice piece I did to see how small I could go...

[​IMG]

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the dude rocked..no matter what "label" people want to hang on him..

artists are artists..thats why they are different..they all have their own inner drive that puts them in a different light than the average joe..

maybe the naysayers are just jelous wannabees
    Kenneth Howard , was a tallent I looked up to since i was a kid..still do..(his tallents not his habits, so dont mix the 2)

30. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.