Register now to get rid of these ads!

trany lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Dec 14, 2009.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i was wondering which is cooler, an external cooler or the radiator? in other words, which place would you run the outgoing lines from the trans to first? that is, if you ran both the cooler and the radiator.

2. lorodz

lorodz

if i had a rad with cooler lines id run that but i dodnt and had to use a aftermarket cooler ..just takes up more space ...

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd go through the auxiliary cooler first to keep some excess heat out of the radiator.

4. 41 C28

41 C28

I'm running auxiliary transmission coolers on 3 cars. Two with coolers under the running board aprons (A's) and one with the cooler under the front fender (48 Dodge). No problems.

5. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

hey guys, thanks for the replies but, you didn't really answer my question. does the cooler or the radiator cool the fluid more. what temp does each one separately cool down to? i know if you use the kind of cooler with the fan attached to it, it must cool down more than a radiator? my own thoughts would be, the external cooler would cool more, since it has more tubes for the fluid to run through.
    the reason i ask is, if the cooler cooled it more, then it ran to the radiator, wouldn't it just get hot again. assuming that the cooler cooled more than the radiator.
    you know all this, "which came first crap" is making my head hurt.

6. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

years ago i had a 700r4 that i built up and ran it in an s10 with a 350 engine. i ran the cooling lines thru a front mounted oil cooler . lines never went thru rad ... the damm trans on cold days shifted soo hard it hurt ... i then ran lines thru the rad then thru front oil cooler MUCH MUCH better .. running thru rad heated the fuild without a doubt

7. squirrel

squirrel

The external one will be cooler, BUT "cooler" is a relative term. Trans oil is happy at the engine coolant temp on the outlet side of the radiator. I'd run the external cooler first then the radiator. 150-180 degress is great for trans fluid, and is what you'd expect to find on in the "lower" tank of the radiator. That's why so many automatic transmissions live so long in stock cars with the trans cooler in the radiator. It works.

8. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I added a trans cooler to my T this past winter. The fluid goes into the cooler first and then to the radiator. Used a louver panel off of a washing machine to make the cover for the cooler. The louvers draw air and pushes it through the trans cooler. Must work pretty good as on cold days, it is almost like having heat in the car :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thanks for the idea;)
    was looking for a way to protect my cooler, once installed