Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suicide doors on a Model A ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluecar, Dec 12, 2009.

1. bluecar

bluecar

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CBILLCO%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> So has anyone ever converted the doors on their Model A coupe to suicide doors like the 33 and 34 Fords ??

Show us your pictures before, during, and after.

Merry Christmas,

BC in KC

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

In my opinion, (you didn't ask for opinions, but this is the HAMB....) you need to get some kind of functional upgrade to justify this modification. Does it work better somehow? Is it easier to get into/out of? I've seen it done, but I'm not sure why. If you know why, why not?

3. cretin

cretin

I believe there is already a thread or two on the subject if you do a search. In my opinion it's a bad idea, you would have to flush mount the doors which looks funny on an A.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be a ton of work. An A, regardless of body style, doesn't have enough structure to run door hinges on the b-pillar. They barely have enough structure for a latch;). You would have to add quite a bit of metal.

Some people want to make a statement. I frequently don't understand what they are trying to say.

To each, his own.

5. BBobb

BBobb

There are a couple other some what variables to concider.If you are thinking of chopping and or channeling stop to think about how tall you are.My 29 is chopped 7 inches and channeled 4.I am 5.7 and it is hell born over angleing around the steering wheel getting in.I could not amagine trying to come in from the front side of the door
    Just my 2 cents

6. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Suicide doors are bitchin. I don't have a model A.

billycadillac likes this.
  7. Squatch

Squatch

Really? Are you trying to say that it has to have some kind of functional upgrade?!

Because we all know the most popular mod is a chop... and that has all kinds of added function!!!

I think it would be cool... just because!!!

Can we have more unfriendly attitude?! PLEASE!!!

"D"

billycadillac likes this.
  8. cretin

cretin

A chop can have function, and has on many traditional hot rods, but we won't get into that.

9. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i've never studied if it could be done. heck i've never even measured,looked or otherwise asked if it was true,but my uncles used to tell me that they swapped sides with doors on their a's and made them suicide. now,this is an old wives tale,or uncle if you will,so don't go postal on me..i'm just reliving a memory i had.

10. trad27

trad27

to give better aerodinamics at Bonnevile/Mirage

11. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Yes a chop has function, it lowers air drag. Check out old Bonneville pics, the coupes are chopped (usually) way too much for street use. But the function of a chop is removed if the vehicle isn't used for racing, so why chop a street car? Because it looks cool.

How about lightning holes in frames and split wishbones? The holes themselves make it lighter, until the hole is sleeved which makes it heavier than stock. No point to it other than looking cool.

Bomber seats in a street car, so is sticking your ass in a hard cold seat is a good idea for the street and if it isn't why do people do it?

Suicide opening doors are bitchin. The overlap of a door does not stop it from being able to make it open suicide style, it can still overlap and suicide at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
    Blublood likes this.
  12. I'm thinking the way the doors are on my Model A RPU at the moment, they already are suicidal.

13. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

you had better get them suckers fixed..ha ha

14. Squatch

Squatch

I know... and I really like your doors... I understand the chop for race cars... the prob was the ever more prominent attitude when somebody asks a question... It wasn't you... It seems everyone says "use the search function!!! You POS, minimum post count scum!!! " I'm kinda getting tired of the grumpy ass people on here....

Blublood likes this.
  15. Seen it done once with Essex piano hinges. No pics though.

16. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

they really dont look good. I would think long and hard about that one...

17. in my opinion suicide doors on a Model A are like trying to teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  18. A lot of work just to make a car harder to get in and out of. And they don't really look that good. Big job for nothing

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

1 they hang funny
    2 alot of work for no benifit
    3 do you leave your doors open at a show? than whats the point?
    4 ford did it right the first time ..dont second guess him
    5 doesnt help getting in or out
    6 why

20. bobscogin

bobscogin

I'm a member of the suicide intervention team and we need to talk.

Bob

21. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Model A's have short doors and are hard enough to get in and out already.If you suicide them you have to back your ass in to climb into the seat.Think about it, Why do you think they are called suicide doors? Its because in the old days when a car hit chuck holes the latch let the doors fling open and the first response was for the passenger or driver would grab the door to stop it and they were pulled out of the car resulting in injury or death. Yea I know you would use Bear Claw latches but I personally wouldn't do it.A guy I know with a Downs body 32 coupe with suicide doors was going 65 mph, hit a pot hole on the interstate highway.His door ripped clean off the hinges and he watched in his rear view mirror as 3 cars ran over his door,not good.Especially since I had to fix the skid marked crushed door for him.Downs wouldn't sell him just a door.If you do it use some kind of safety dead bolt just in case .So how cool do you want to be? I would put the effort to something else on the car. My 2 cents!

22. GasserKid

GasserKid

23. Ghost28

Ghost28

Not a model A, but I did it on a 32 chevy 5 window basket case coupe. I also lenghtened the doors 5 inches by removing 5 inches of verticle metal from below the port windows, and adding it to the doors vertically. The benefits to this was of course longer doors and easier access into the vehicle . It did have bear claw latches and suicide safety pins...John

Attached Files:

24. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I certainly hope that my HAMB reputation won't be negatively affected by
    me posting these 'sinful' pix here.

You guys have got me feelin' so bad about suicide doors that my Model A probably won't ever be seen in public again.

Merry Christmas.

Attached Files:

Blublood likes this.
  25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

not at all bud..but it does prove all the points i mentioned in post #20...to each his own:)

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Used to be that way, but nowadays you need a flak jacket.......'specially
    here on the HAMB.

27. Doug B

Doug B

A few years back,at the Adirondack Nationals, I sat in a coupe that was suicided.It was a real pain getting in and out just one time! If you're thinking of doing this to a car you'll drive alot,you should find one and try getting in and out a few times...

28. rusty28a

rusty28a

Model A's had suicide doors stock! Never have one flop open on you while taking a corner?

29. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

That A sedan looks sik!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sorry..didnt mean anything negative about your A..

it is a very hard Mod to exicute and make it look right on an A