Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuttering when accelerating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni, Dec 12, 2009.

1. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

I know this is a somehwat newbie question but since im only at my house 2 days every 2 weeks I would like to try and take the guessing game out. I took my truck for a ride last night and then out of nowhere it started sputtering and running like poop when taking off. It idles great and will start right back up but the moment I go to take off its REALLY bad...i wouldnt think I could go past 20 mph now. Really wierd but anyway its got a new 650 double pump. I would say 6 months old and its been great this whole time. I blew the needle out and seems to move freely. New wires and plugs but I know this may go out. SO took another ride this morning with it cold and diud the same thing.
    Coil? (no points)
    Bigger squirt nozzle?
    Grounding?
    Pump cam?

Not sure but its weird it happened out of nowehere so I dont think its a bad carb or out of tune. I redid the float level as well...still there. Any help?

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

What kind of ignition are you running? If points then I'd check them.

3. fef100

fef100

Has it been running fine until now? If yes dont change the pump nozzle or cam, this will only confuse things.
    Check the basics first. Park somewhere dark, get a spray bottle of water & wet down the wires & coil, how old is the condensor.
    Check your fuel filter & fuel pump (with a fuel pressure gauge).
    Does it only happen when cold, or does it continue when up to temp?
    Lots of things to check, could go further depending on what you find.

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

First, check to see if the primary accelerator pump is squirting. Next thing you can do is disconnect the vacuum advance (if used) and see if it runs any better.

5. Bigger nozzle, different pump cam, etc makes absolutely no sense if it was working fine for awhile. Do you have reason to think someone broke into your shop and swapped those parts in your carb ? First 2 things I would check if it happened suddenly and went from running great to running like shit is that the distributor could be loose and the timing moved or the carb is loading up due to a stuck float. You say you messed with the float level. Before or after it started messing up ? No offense but when I read posts like this where you're thinking of changing things that were working great at one time I have to ask.. what did you fuck with and why ? Did you do something to make it run like crap or did it happen on it's own.

6. fef100

fef100

What he said!

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

bad accelerator pump ?

8. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i would check the distributor advance, and vacuum.

9. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

I completely agree thats why i didnt screw around with it. I only checked the float level when I took the ineedle out to check for dirt/crap in the needle. I then re floated it. So we are good there. I havent touched crap but just checking. I would think either fuel pump or coil. I did have a little problem with it starting awhile back i shook the positive side of the battery post and then it started. Could a weak battery have the same effect as a weak coil? Im still learning the ignition side. I will check the distributor as well that makes more sense it maybe threw the timing off. I will check. I will also look for a stuck float but its a pretty new carb...

10. fastrichy

fastrichy
    from ne ohio

did you check the fuel filter?

11. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

sounds like a dirty gas tank

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

would'nt that cause popping as well

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

vac advance? how come you're only home 2 days every 2 weeks? railroad traveling track gang?

14. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

should have said that huh, Mechanical secondaries. Just seems it would be ignition system...i took a pic of my spark plugs and they look pretty good.

I do construction and my company has sent me to Jackson, MS and I live in Atlanta. Gotta go where the work is.

15. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

like someone mentioned, check your fuel filters, and the screen inside the tank too.

16. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

power valve....if the motor ever hiccups through the carb,then the power valve is hosed. guaranteed. to avoid that ever happening again get a power valve block out..what?! a holley thats a mystery to tune? get an afb and a rebuild kit. problem solved

17. Flatman

Flatman

Is the coil getting hot? Do you have a spare one to try out? I'd go there first if everything else was okay before hand.

Flatman

18. stale gas??????????????????

19. The Rat Rod Rocker

The Rat Rod Rocker
    BANNED

My hot rod causes some stuttering often under acceleration also.

All the chicks stutter when I get on it.

"Su Su Slow duh down Ra Rat Rod, your ur sca sca scaring me."

Lots to look at on this. Fuel filter, bad gas, something in the tank, other blockage, vac leak, timing. No avoiding the "guessing game."

Speaking of "games," when I park with the chicks they also stutter then.

"Ra Ra Rat Rod I wu wu wuve you, your ur so so dr dreamy."

Is the 650 you got a Holly? Is it an older one? Have you had any backfires?

20. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

My experiance was shaft wobble in my distributor ,ITwould idle fine and when I got on it would lose power ,Wouldn't pop Just didn't accelerate..I changed carb and that was not the problem.Points were in adjustment but bouncing in higher rpm ,I changed to hei and problem was fixed.What was confusing dwell checked out at 30 all day long.Do you have a double pumper on an automatic trans .

21. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

I have seen a bad rotor in the distributor cause what you are describing.

22. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Yeah my carb isnt popping either and this is a brand enw Holley 650 so it has the power black valve so I wouldnt think it was the Power Valve...I wonde rif its either the coil or distributer...i mean everything else has less than 500 miels on them so I will go there.

23. BTW my Vette was running like after sitting a couple of weeks. Put new gas with some Stabil and problem solved. This new crappy gas looses octane after about a month.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

[QUOTE="Whitey Ford" 62 Uni;4661928]......................................I would like to try and take the guessing game out. ............................... SO took another ride this morning with it cold and diud the same thing.
    Coil? (no points)
    Bigger squirt nozzle?
    Grounding?
    Pump cam?
    ............................... out of nowehere so I dont think its a bad carb or out of tune. I redid the float level as well...still there. Any help?[/QUOTE]
    All problems come out of nowhere..:D

I think you are onto something! That is, take the gussing game out, as you say....................

You sound like you know the basics, there is no magic, just try each possible remedy one at a time, don't get distracted by that little voice in your head about the other shit until you have eliminated each possibility........:cool:

25. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

hahaha touche' 29Nash....yeah Im out of town now so now I have 10 days to ponder and let it aggravate the shit out of me till i can work on it. I THINK....it would be the coil...only cause it starts great, idles great but when I put a load on it its sputtering the whole way. I mean I cant go over 10 mph now. I checked for the plugs being at least hand tightened but I think its an ignition problem somewhere. I need to teach myself the ingition side of the motor now. Its pretty fun figuring this stuff out just wish I was home more....

26. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

usually if you have a miss under load (such as acceleration) it is an ignition problem , but i did have a race engine once that would miss on acceleration and it turned out the carb was way over jetted and was too rich

27. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

well I did read alot pertaining to that but this is a somwhat new carb and I never had a problem with it before until riding around and then next thing you know...just sputtering like a bitch. It was pretty responsive before this issue so I would think its ok with jetting.

28. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

OK so went back home for my chrsitmas vacation and changed the fuel pump, fuel fliter, coil, distributor cap, and rotor and now it wont even start. Just turned and turned. So I put the old coil back on and tried it and nothing....damn dman. It was a misty cold shitty day so not sure if that had something to do with it but figured since the cap and rotor were brand new moisture wouldnt play a role in it. I checked for spark and didnt seem to get any (i did the screw driver in the spark plug boot on fender way) and didnt see any spark. So I do understand that means no spark so now Im trying to teach myself the ignition basics. I have a Mallory Unilite with a mallory coil PN 8227.

Im wondering about grounding cause the ground wire is on the carb hold down bolt. Now its been like that for quite awhile so not sure if now it decides to stop but I will try somehting different there. Seems grounding through a gasket isnt as good as staright to metal.

If im getting 12 V at the coil and no spark could the module be the culprit? Also after investigating could the distributor be jacked up sicne it did actually start and drive and it slowly became crappy?

If im not mistaking mallory has a ballast resistor in it and does not need one added correct?

I have attached a spark plug for verification of what they look like. Seem ok to me.

My next option is to re do the timing all together and make sure all spark plug wires on correct. Maybe I messed up putting the wires in the correct spot. Then I will set timing. If need be...
    Is there any special way to install a distributor on a FE 352? I read about the 350 oil pump needing to be lined up. Just want to make sure with an FE.

Multimeter??? What is a good basic one to get...i know Fluke is the best but Im not sure about 150 bucks for one. Are the 35-50 dollar ones reliable?

OK so hopefully I didnt just add too much info on here.

I dont think its carb but its a mechanical, 650 double pump, holley, mechanical choke, less than a year old. Float is on and has a steady stream (when parked and at idle)

would love a website or some basics on ignition/wiring cars. I love to learn so any info would be great.

Attached Files:

29. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

So you are running a unilite?? Sometimes the modules get real tricky. You have to make sure your ground is really good, do you have the mallory back feed box in line on your dizzy?? Alot of times you can get a power surge from either an alternator, unhooking or hooing up a battery or ignition. The box protects you from getting back surges and blowing your module. Also, do you have any power coming out of the coil? Here is a link to test the ignition module-- http://www.curitibaroadsters.com.br/downloads/procedimentotesteunilite.pdf

Hope this helps.

30. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Oh yeah, And crossing my fingers for you that it's NOT a bad module..around $80 that you really don't want to spend.