Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 plymouth belvd. convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nhcamper, Nov 30, 2009.

1. nhcamper

nhcamper

Hi Guys,
    I am looking at an 1956 Pylm. Belvd. convert. It has been in storage for 28 years and seems pretty soild, The body has some rust in the rockers, qrts. and trunk but not to the point you couldn't drive it while fixing it. The paint is just black primer and the interior is ripped and dirty. The top is there and goes up and down with some assistance. The owner said it runs but did not say what condition the brakes and trans. are in, it has a V8 with the push button trans. I would classify it as a high 4 to low 3 catagory. If anyone owns one of these and can shed some light on what I should look at before making an offer on the car it would be most apprieciated. The owner has not decided what he wants for the car so if anyone has a ball park number on what is a fair price for this car let me know. I'm not trying to steal it but I don't want to over pay either, I guess what I'm asking is what would you pay for this car?
    Thanks,
    Tim

2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

That's a really rare and I would think, fairly high dollar car when finished. I'd try to find a few online and see what they are ACTUALLY selling for. I'd guess that all of the "book values" are way out of line at the moment. Things aren't worth what they were a year ago.

3. squirrel

squirrel

good luck finding many comps..... (real estate term)

I sold a rustbucket 56 belvedere convertible several years ago for $1500, it was mostly complete but rough, sat out in the mountain desert in the dirt for 25-30 years and the floor was gone.

Attached Files:

4. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Damn, I'd have bought that rustbucket. I love those cars.

5. nhcamper

nhcamper

Thanks for the response. I hope it's within my budget I kind of fell in love with it the minute I saw it. It is a shame to see a car with such potential just sitting. Wish me luck.

6. Pics? WIW? posts are generally worthless all around. It's worth what YOU and the seller agree to. If you are comfortable paying $X for it, offer him that AFTER you know his asking price. NEVER be the one to "make an offer" without the seller providing a starting point. No matter how bad you want the car!

7. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

A stripped out hulk recently sold on ebay for about a grand and had no interior, top or convertible mechanicals. Totally restored ragtops from this year can go as high as 35-40 grand depending on rarity. Check the Old Cars price guide for a value based on number 4 condition. It is truly a rare car and would be awesome completed. Post pics if you can. Like Patrick said it is really ultimately worth what you are willing to pay and what the Seller is willing to sell it for. Nonetheless go for it.

8. Fairly common to rust out over the headlights, I looked at one in a junkyard years ago tht had stamped aftermarket pieces bondoed in as a repair.

Me, I'm going to pay as little as possible and flip it most likely. Make him give you a number and go from there. When you start talking 1950s convertible, all that's important is the frame is solid and the convertible stuff is all there. Things like brakes, will it run, etc. are pretty insignifigant.

9. Squablow

Squablow

The "rustbucket" pictured above is a real dreamboat where I come from, I could fix that shit easy.

There was a '56 Dodge convertible that sold on eBay a couple months ago that had no front clip, drivetrain, or interior, but all the convertible specific stuff was still on it, and it also had part of the tree that was growing up inside the engine crossmember still attached. It got $1500.

Pictured below is the '55 that I plan on building, using a donor car to fill in most of the gaps. Yes, that is a tree where the engine once was. The car is broken in half in the center but is still well worth fixing as far as I'm concerned. The one you're describing doesn't sound bad at all, $5k would probably be a steal for it and $10K might not be unreasonable, but you need pictures and way, way more details to really nail down a number.

[​IMG]

10. squirrel

squirrel

a friend restored this car

[​IMG]

it was quite a bit worse than the plymouth....so yeah, I know the one I had was "nice". It went to Illinois

11. George

George

12. nhcamper

nhcamper

The owner just called and he's asking 15,000 for it. I plan on taking pic. and taking it from there.

13. nhcamper

nhcamper

If anyone is interested in buying this car I have photos. I looked it over and heard it run and drive it is very original, solid and complete. If a serious buyer wants this car PM me. and lets talk. I can't buy the car myself so I'm brokering it for the owner make an offer all will be considered over 10,000.

14. r8odecay

r8odecay

Take it to the classifieds.

15. 73RR

73RR

He can ask whatever he wants...the buying public will still determine value.

16. nhcamper

nhcamper

I agree, I was just trying to help him out and cover the cost of my time and gas. I will list it in the classifieds, just thought if someone who read this post might
    appreciate the chance to get a crack at it first.

17. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

A complete, not too bad 56 Plymouth convertible around LA, CA sold on eBay for about $9500 several months ago, and I would consider that fair. If my business hadn't fallen off 50% this year, I'd have bought it. I think the one north of Boston you're talking about runs and drives, and top dollar would be $15K. The location (near you) and condition (complete and no serious rust) being the controlling considerations. BTW, I have three of these 56 Plymouth convertibles in my garage now getting frame off restorations. I sold that $1K hulk on eBay that was mentioned. Richard

18. nhcamper

nhcamper

I bought a 1941 Ford 2dr so the Plymouth isn't on the radar for me. I'm very happy with what I got, I will pass on any contact to the owner if I get some interest.

19. Again, place this car in the Classifieds!!!

And let a potential buyer talk directly to the seller!

20. nhcamper

nhcamper

If anyone wants to view the add the owner posted go to craigslist Mass. north shore, 1956 Belvedere