Register now to get rid of these ads!

History >>>SELL-----Hot Rod Archives (Hot Rod Mart Thread)<<< Tons of Early Pics!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Dec 8, 2009.

1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I've seen this ad before and wondered where it went or what its story was. I'd like to believe it still looks just like this.

11-22-0901.jpg

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I always started at the back of HotRod just for the classified. I did the exhaust on a 34 Ford roadster for a guy that bought it out of a picture ad in HotRod. He has the car and the magazine it was advertised in. I always though that was cool.

There was an idiot that started a near riot on the first iteration of the flathead board when he started posting word for word ads copied from the early books on the forum almost 10 years ago now. 34 roadsters for 1500. Flathead blowers for 200 bucks etc. etc.. No area codes or zip codes. After the first few it became obvious but it didn't stop the frantic guys that thought that they were real.

3. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

"Awesome! Any pics of the interior in '56 especially the dash??? Car pretty much looks the same now with the exceptions of the things underneath the skin."

Marty was lucky enough to meet the guy he bought the car from in 1958. I think it was at a Columbus, OH Nats in the 90's. Marty visited him at home and got a copy of the photo album the guy made when he built the car and drove it from W. Va to Calif and back.
    There may be a picture of the dash. I'll see if I can get one the next time I visit.

I think most guys would kill to get photos of their car from the original builder!
    Marty has had the car since 1958 (51 years!) and there was more history from before that!
    The car is truly a survivor that has been driven since it changed hands.
    Marty drove it to the drag nats in Indy before there were streetrod nats.
    It has been to most of the nats since 1974 except when the car was "down" for some updates. He has been to a lot of York PA nats also.

4. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Hi Ed , thanks for the update , I asked Marty to send me pix too , what a great car with a ton of known history , that is priceless .

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  5. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

It's like a time machine - I remember seeing some of these in the mags then.
    I used to drool all over the for sale ads.

Thanks for the brain snap.

6. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

cool... I always wondered about the history of that car...

Here are some pictures of it I took a couple years ago...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

8. This isn't from Hot Rod. It's from a 1970 Competition Press & Autoweek:

Attached Files:

9. ^^^^I wonder what the 63 year old wife looks like today?^^^^

10. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

11. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

12. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

13. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

14. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

15. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]

Good grief :eek::eek:

THE Grand Sport
    [​IMG]

This exact car is to be auctioned this January at RM AUCTIONS in Arizona

"There are quite a few legendary Corvettes &#8211; the L88, ZL1 and Z06 to name a few &#8211; and modern day super Vettes will no doubt become future automotive icons, as well. None of them, however, have the status of the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport. Only five were produced by the "father of the Corvette", Zora Arkus-Duntov, to battle with Shelby's Cobra roadsters before General Motors cancelled its motorsports activities in 1964. The Grand Sports are rarely offered up for sale, and this is the first time one is being put up for auction. Both RM and Keith Martin, publisher of Corvette Market Magazine, have declared the car to be the most important Corvette ever to be offered for sale. This particular Grand Sport is chassis #002 and is one of only two roadsters. It features a completely original unrestored body and was previously owned by Roger Penske and George Wintersteen. No price estimates were given, but the bidding will surely go into the millions of dollars

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This might be one of my new favorite roadster of all time!!!!
    [​IMG]

And this one has always had a special spot in my heart. A great example of why I love t's!!!
    [​IMG]

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here is another batch!!!!

August 1962
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

December 1962
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

19. Cool thread!

A couple of years ago a friend called and asked if I wanted any old Hot Rod mags. If not he was going to pitch them. I get those calls every once-in-a-while and usually say I'm not interested but this time I said, "Sure, drop 'em by." I figured I'd go through them and upgrade any in my collection. Well, he brought quite a few boxes and they started with January 1950!!!! Been going through them slowly for a couple of years now and they are a revelation to be sure! The ads are amazing!

Here's one without a photo from May of 1955, was Mr. Hirohata cheap or figured it didn't need a pic since it was already famous? I've seen another ad with just B. Hirohata, it had a price but still no photo.

[​IMG]

Both of these are interesting, wonder if the bottom one was free since it's the Petersen address and a staff member?

[​IMG]

This pic was posted earlier but this ad is from the man himself and is priced:

[​IMG]

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best thread ever!

21. poseur111

poseur111

Might have seen this one on the Atlanta Craigslist this week listed for $995. Was listed as rusty, with the Cad motor (not running), and pics showed a hole in the hood about the size of that scoop. Could just be a coincidence, not sure how popular the Cad transplant was with these. But owner has since pulled the ad anyway.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I am pretty sure that a Cad in anything was pretty common but you might be on to something there. The hole in the top and the fact that it was in Utah might make it rusty by the time it got to Atlanta maybe. I would start digging if you happen to like the car.

23. If I could wish for one thing it would certainly be a time machine...this thread torments and fascinates meet at the same time

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I would ask for a time machine too!! Although I would go into the future and see if you were actually telling the truth about moving to North Carolina.:D:D:D Only time will tell I guess.

25. ha ha...I'll be there sometime in February...already secured a spot in Mooresville for my business so like it or not I'm infiltrating the NC

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

This thread is like some tasty hard liquor; fun to drink, but basically kind of makes me sick to my stomach too.

27. Marty1934

Marty1934

Studillacs were pretty popular in the day.
    A famous guy named Bill Frick built loads of them in a shop on Sunrise Highway on Long Island. I think it was in Rockville Center. I remember visiting his shop in the late 1950's.
    I used to see one parked in a business garage every morning on my walk to college from the subway in Brooklyn. One day I got up the nerve to stop in, met the owner and he took me for a ride in it. It was very impressive to say the least.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Another Set for you guys!!!

January 1964
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

354 Chrysler and a Packard Trans....ummmm Rad!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just plain cool.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gosh a lot of Chevy engines... that's not correct. More on that later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best deal so far???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

30. Finally found the ad I mentioned in post #79. From September of 1954:

[​IMG]

Pretty good chunk-o-change in those days.