Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where did you get the hot rod bug ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 17dracing, Dec 11, 2009.

1. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

Just wondering where you got your bug ?

I got mine honestly from my father , and grandfather ! Both big car guys , My old man has had many cars in magazines , and two months after I was born , he took out a score board at muncie dragway with his 1948 anglia gasser ! I remember , like it was yesterday !! (ha ha ) And my grandpa had about 4 pre 40's cars when he passed away .So where or what got you started ? Where did you get that Kool and crazy bug ?

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Crank's Motel. Dort Hwy and Hemphill. Oh...the hot rod bug....my bad.
    Al 'Bud' Rogers.

3. Muttley

Muttley

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Milner and my dad.

5. RichG

RichG

6. John Denich

John Denich

7. edweird

edweird

8. C.Sweeny

C.Sweeny

Dad.

He was building cut-downs when I was 6 years old. 57 Chevy chassis, shortened and narrowed with 350 Chevy small blocks and torch heated/bent roll cages.

Later, he had a '32 Bantam roadster drag car and then moved into NHRA Super Gas.

He is a great guy, a true dirty hands hot rodder. Thanks Dad if you ever see this.

9. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

No idea where I got it from. I've always liked old cars...and of course...old cars must go FAST! I have the music bug and bike bug as well. They must have all come from the same place because no one in my family has anything to do with any of them. If I wasn't the spitting image of my dad, I'd think I was adopted.

Maybe I stepped in something when I was a kid?

10. brocluno

brocluno

Was born with it. Nobody else in my immediate family were car folks except as transportation and tools. All horses and farm stuff.

I begged and got an old car at 10 to play with in the back yard. Started diving around the farm(s) at 12 or so. Hit the road at 14 with an AG license.

Had a Y block Ford before I got the license. Stashed it at a friends house and drove to work at a garage after school to make gas money. All down hill for the next odd 45+ years :)

11. Cruiser

Cruiser

I'm the only car guy in my family.

1. It all started with the little wooden cars, I played with as a two year old.
    2. Building model cars added to the push to the real thing.
    3. The hot rods and customs that cruised out junior high and high school. :D

CRUISER :cool:

12. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Not trying to be a suck up or whatever but.. this site! i was always into muscle cars got that bug from my father and friends. i got tired of the same old but was afraid of what i didnt know. I got a job in the steel industry in High School and learned confidence. I sold my 67 camaro to buy my house and my 1927 T RPU. That small tub of steel makes me happier than the other car ever did.

13. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

my dad and my grandfather was also a tinker. here is a photo of the fisrt hot rod i remember my dad having . i still remember riding with my parents , being to short to see out the windshield . i just stared at that earily dash in the 32 coupe.

Attached Files:

14. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

my dad was a motorcycle cop in the 50's - he HATED my car hobby...very discouraging - went into electronics in college, but i wanterd to be an automotive designer - still building hotrods - dad showed his colors when i showed up at a campsite he was staying at - he called me over to open the hood on my 39 chevy - his comment to another couple of campers - " look, you can eat off that engine..."....i was proud and i think he ws too....all was OK!

15. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

My grandfather, when he chopped a Pink&White Edsel station wagon in 1968....point A to point B is what my Dad thought about cars:eek:

16. BBobb

BBobb

Started out a few yeas ago builing high end custom choppers and kept finding my self gawking at the old steel rods some of my friends were building.Bought myself an old 53 buick and have been sick with it ever since.....Oh yea,i unloded all the chopper shit to build my Model A

17. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

18. In Junior High School my best friend's big brother had a '30 Ford Sedan hotrod and was into drag racing. One Sunday he took my buddy and I to the drags with him. Somewhere between home and the drag strip riding that hotrod I knew that I had discovered something special. Once we were at the drags I fell in love with both drag cars and their street driven cousins, hotrods.

19. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Dad.

Also those dang high school hot rodders who chased me up on the sidewalk while trying to ride my bike to kindergarten circa 1960.

20. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

my cousins, they had a 54 Studebaker coupe a Crosley wagon and a 30's Caddy

they were always & tinkering

21. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Old Dad, I remember the first time I got to tear down a weed eater engine! I was all tingley!

22. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

i have to go along with many of the others, it was my dad. i have surpassed im in car knowledge since my birth but without him i wouldnt know a tierod from a connecting rod and that would make me sad. thanks pop.

23. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Worked at my friend's father's Esso station when I was 14 and this guy started coming in with a T Bucket for gas, he would answer all our questions and let check his car out from top to bottom. As time went on he built a 34 flathead powered roadster from a 3 window coupe body and was a true "traditional hot rodder". He was one of the best vintage car sandblasters in the area and did favors for everyone. I stayed friends with him for over 35 years until his untimely passing a few years ago. He was one of those guys who when you met him you felt as though you knew him for years. He got me interested in hot rods and helped me on numerous projects.

24. beauishere

beauishere

Ditto that!

25. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

cars, bikes and music have always been a constant for me. not sure why. my dad likes old cars, but isn't a die-hard car guy by any means. he got me into motorcycles at a very young age, like 5. dirt bikes turned into road bikes and hot rods as soon as i was old enough to think about driving on the street.
    all i know is i'm damn glad to have such a cool ass hobby.

26. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I got mine from my dad....

I want to know where you got your memory from...you can remember something happening when you were 2 months old...hell I can't remember how old I am!!!

27. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

High school maybe? Just always liked old cars...

28. my dad .. hotrodder, soldier , parent ..

29. blojectedj

blojectedj
    from oklahoma

Got my mechanical ability from Dad, he passed when I was 7 so the yard work and fixing the mower and stuff was up to me. Built my first go-kart with lawn mower parts when I was 10. Nearby there was a henryj gasser these guys wrenched on. I used to go and watch and probably bugged the shit out of them, but they were cool and answered all my dumbass kid questions. I am sure thats where I got the hot rod bug!

30. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

My cousin. When I was 6 thru 8 years old he lived with us while going to school. He use to drag race his 56 Chevy and was constantly changing that car. He would get me to hold the wrench for him while he tightened the other end. I got oil in my vains and now I am a full blown hot rod junkie.