Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead build up for my roadster.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HELLMET, Dec 11, 2009.

1. HELLMET

HELLMET

just got this motor 59-ab out of 40 coe a friend gave it to me.got it home a did a compression check and it looks good lowest being 115 up to 125 the highest.pretty cool motor has double pulley truck pumps and gen. i spent 2 hours tonite wire wheeling with a buffer to clean it so when i pull the heads no junk will get in there. i'm going to have a the opening of al capones valt when i take the heads and the intake off to see the condition of the motor. and to see if it has adjustible lifters. it was a big truck motor. cool thing it has 3 hole distribator cover so my lincoln dizzy will go on even has the adaptor on it already.plans for it are 1 to see if its good. 2 make sure internals are good take the stock cam and have it ground by clay smith to 272. weiand intake with two chandler groves 94s on it lincoln duel coil dizzy, lightend fly wheel and baffles in the middle exhaust ports. chrome pan and generator. it should look pretty good. thats what jack had in his roadster. i'll do updates hope to have it ready for the pasadena realibilty run in may.and el mirage of corse. ps the only thing i'm missing is the weiand two pot manifold with no gen bracket. if anyone has one for sale let me know it would be a big help. thanks . billy

2. HELLMET

HELLMET

heres the pics of the motor. some of the #'s off the block.on top where the intake is on the rear drivers side a #40 stamped in a box and pass side rear top #74 in a box on the heads on top towards carb 59a-6050-b . on the front above water pump pass side #7 and on the bell housing c4 8-1 thanks billy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  3. HELLMET

HELLMET

any thoughts on the block #'s.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It's just a 59...sometimes there's an extra letter like Z down near RR of bell. The string of numbers above the 59 is stuff no one knopws anything about, quite possibly foundry date codes. I have a vague theory that blocks with that type stuff and not just the 59 are late manufacture. made after 1948 for the parts counter. I think many 59's were made in batches to keep the parts business rolling after their production uses ended, as tooling basically matched, and they came with the cheaper late rods, crnk, etc. originally.
    Cannot prove.

5. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

looks like a good score! did you get the generator? that set-up requires a specific generator, it`s not just adding a dual sheave to a passenger car generator. i think the only important number is the "59" cast into the bell housing.

6. rustybucket

rustybucket

When you pull the heads, first thing to do is measure the bore to insure its 3 3/16" or more. It's possible for it to be the smaller 3 1/16" bore (happened to me...), some replacement blocks had the prewar cylinder cores. If it the smaller one it wont handle a big bore (if that's in your plans).

-Chris

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You can use the passenger gen and pumps I believe by using it as a single sheave setu...pretty sure first sheave location is same as passenger. What are you doing with that wierd COE throttle setup?? Looks intersting to me...

8. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

yeah my buddy got a 59 block out of a 35 truck. turned out to be a 3 1/16
    (221)bore instead of the 3 3/16. which doesnt really make any sense as to why they would keep the smaller size... so it was a replacement motor with parts from the original motor thrown on and some off the shelf parts too. had 8ba oil pump so that was cool.

9. Fe26

Fe26

Just curious, I have a factory relieved exchange block that was in my '38' when I got it. My plans were to bore it larger 3 5/16. Why is this not possible, are their different size blocks?

Thanks in advance

10. HELLMET

HELLMET

i have the gen and the pumps but not going on there. i'm just going check it and if its good i'm running it.it also so had a cool power booster vacum plate on it. my motor in my car now is very tired. it was used when i put it in there. billy

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  11. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I hope it only needs alittle freshening. ILOVE your roadster.

I am gonna have to freshen my flatty this winter also.