Register now to get rid of these ads!

non solid axle "gasser stance" cars ... or trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stumpuller, Nov 7, 2009.

1. falfas55

falfas55

I'm using ball joint spacers and station wagon springs.FALFA

2. 4MALS

4MALS

Here is my 61 stocker with 2" taller springs.

[​IMG]

Here is my 61 stocker with 2 " over stock springs.

3. lorodz

lorodz

Ball joint spacer ....what is this ive never herd of anyone running this ...big block spring yes ive had them in my ss nova kept the front from sagging with the heavy motor...looked great also ...can you guys snap pictures for me ...

Ball joint spacer
    drop spindles .. Thanks

4. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

[​IMG]

Slightly higher than stock in front. Probably spacers or knuckles in the springs.

5. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

[​IMG]

How about stock height in front and a dropped rear?

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

OK never heard of ball joint spacer either . We all used big block truck springs in our 60's Chev . you could have 15 people sit on the front of the car and it wouldn't move at all !
    Where can I order " Ball Joint Spacers " ? my 55 Ford would look great like that !

RetroJim

7. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great pics guys!

8. No straight axle required...

-Dean

Attached Files:

9. 58custom

58custom

My '58 was set up by the then owner in 1966 with mid-1960s station wagon springs to raise the front. He flipped the shackels out back. After I had owned it a few years I cut a coil out of each side because it was always nearly fully extended which made for a bitch of a ride. Here is how it looked not long after I bought it with the uncut springs:

[​IMG]

10. lorodz

lorodz

my car sits real high in front now so what i was gonna do was drop the rear with some 3 inch blocks to get the ass low ..i think it will work ..[​IMG]
    this is my favorite picture of a 56 ...whos is it .????

11. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

That 58 is cool you got anymore shots. or details... What motor, whats the story on the headers?

12. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

here is another from my archives... ignore the silly radials that make it look like a 4x4. If my memory serves correct these spindles also came from wild woodies in KC. Dont remeber but would put money on the rear being under the leaves the way it is up in the air too.

[​IMG]

13. lorodz

lorodz

is that disc brakes up front

14. chris55

chris55

Balljoint spacers.
    [​IMG]

15. 58custom

58custom

This is an old webpage with a lot of the info.

http://www.freewebs.com/vegtruck/58custom.htm

Local guy set it up in 1966. The engine is a 352FE and the try-y fenderwell headers were made by a guy named Skibstead but I have no further info on him.

[​IMG]

Heads:
    [​IMG]

Slappers:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  16. Butch M

Butch M

cool pic's.....

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

You can tell disc-converted cars 'cause they tend to push the wheels out wide like that.

18. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

that car is very very cool however those headers are definitly for a fe and the motor pictured and talked about is an FE (352) not a 351. Please dont tell me a 351 took that sweet FE's place? Do you still have those valve covers the thunderbirds with the dual breather tubes or the tripower from the 406?

This is probably one of the coolest 58s I have seen in a while. Thanks for the link man.

19. 58custom

58custom

Oops. The 351 in the previous post is a typo. As for the parts, I have everything. The valve covers have stickers from the engine builder on them. I've removed the rust, but that's all. The engine is out right now, but will be going back in soon with the old VCs back on it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  20. here's a shot of my 55 from back in the mid-60's, stock orig. coils with stacks of spring spacers crammed into them...we used to make our own spacers out a 3/4 inch water pipe cut to length with notches ground into the ends; and used a spring spreader tool to install em. Didn't really ride all that bad and we were stylin!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. lorodz

lorodz

nice 55 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

22. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

Mine that I just finished putting the 4-speed back together on. Was run in the late 60's/early 70's in Chicago before I bought it in pieces last year.

--Douglas.

Attached Files:

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some good info and neat pics here. Thanks guys. Learned a couple of things. I had never heard of balljoint spacers either...obviously a good way to go, allowing you to keep the original ride-quality.
    When I was a little kid in the early '60s, I frequently saw "jacked up" cars. So cool. Back then, the term "jacked up" didn't mean "fuxxed up"...it was a good thing! I'd exclaim to my brother, "Look at that cool jacked-up car!" You guys are bringing back some memories. I may have to build a "jacked-up" car. - Rick

24. primed34

primed34

The ball joint spacers won't raise a car up very much. They are for suspension travel.

25. lorodz

lorodz

nice 57 douglas b.

26. the above 56 was turqoise in color and belonged to a guy named Palmer Lazarus from the midwest, Illinois I believe, nice car and also one of my favorites.

27. green 61

green 61

do you know where to get these custom parts? or if they are available. i would love to have a set to raise my 55 up about 4 more inches

Attached Files:

28. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Last time I checked they are no longer made by anyone commercially or custom (lawyers I suppose) but I am sure you could find a good welder to fab up a pair. I could send you some pics of a pair we have for a 55-57 if you want a base to go off of to have somebody make a pair. The other guy that talked about them was right in his desciption of how they used to be made. Cut and welded. You used to send in the pair you had and youd get back a pair that were dropped. 43/4 or 6 3/4 if I rember correctly.

29. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Hey Beernut if you know where they can be found please induldge. I would also be interested in obtaining another pair.

30. chop32

chop32

Heres my '57. Just tall springs and balljoint spacers. It ran in Modified Production class in '70 - '71. It later had an Hilborn injected smallblock and supposedly ran in D/Gas.

Attached Files: