Register now to get rid of these ads!

My AN fitting Rant (OT)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tbraginton, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Ratherman

Ratherman
    from WI

We went with the Earl's ano-tuff all-black hard anodized fittings - they are a nice alternative to the red/blue...

P8141525.JPG

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

looks great!!

3. I wasn't looking at buying anything.... I was kind of wondering if there were a few found with the floor sweepings... preferably a couple of #10 90's,and whatnot.... you know... ;)

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

and some -8 straight fittings lol. :D

5. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

If you get the powdered form of drano (or the like) and mix it up with a bit of water the anodizing falls off with it. I called a local anodizer and he told me the main ingredient is that of anodizing stripper. I stripped some bike wheels a while back. Wear a respirator.

6. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

The active ingredient in that powdered drain cleaner is sodium hydroxide (AKA lye, AKA Caustic Soda).

The lye will eat off the ano layer but quick, however, you have to neutralize it in a weak acid (like vinegar), or it will continue to gnaw on your parts until the hydroxide is all reacted off, which can leave pits. Bad juju.

Be aware that stripping off the color is also stripping off the corrosion protection for the aluminum.

They will tarnish and get hazy white on the outside, and be susceptible to aggressive corrosion from fuels and other fluids on the inside. Plus, the hard anodized surface is what keeps the mating faces on the tapered noses from galling against one another. Assemble a bare set of fittings without a very generous goop of anti-seize and see what those faces look like when (or if) you get it apart again.

Best bet is to either buy the color you want, or have them reanodized if the original color doesn't suit you. There are a lot of places where you can have that done.

Leaving them bare and allowing them to corrode is a hack move if ever there was one.

The point of AN plumbing is reliability, and letting bare aluminum fittings serve in that system will defeat that aim outright. At that point, you've got a system that costs five times what rubber and steel flex lines do, while being no more serviceable or reliable. IE, you pissed your money away.

Just sayin' . . . . .

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

WOW TUCK....one would think you own this place. but i for one thank you for ur intellect and sarcasm! HAY!!! you dweeb. call me pop.

8. I own a company that can anodize , and reanodize in pretty much any color. We also can do "flat finish" anodizing so it doesnt look like billet, if anyones is interested.

http://www.six-2.com