Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember!.....68 years ago

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThunderRocket, Dec 7, 2009.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I wish my scanner worked, in my garage way up in the rafters i found an old photo album, no one knows where it came from, but there are pictures of what I believe Pearl Harbor before the attack, also notations from the service man who was there, even classy pictures of his girlfriend, I know this stuff is historically very important so it's carefully put up until I can scan it. Very rare pictures.

2. Those are some pretty profound words Docc. We are all blessed to be Americans.
    Time heals all wounds.

3. And I can't get over somebody saying "Get over it"

4. After watching WWII in HD on The History Channel I actually did some reading online to see why Japan was our enemy then. It boiled down to a weak government and a strong and agressive military making decisions, in some cases badly flawed. Pearl Harbor was in part a response to an oil embargo of Japan to try to slow down their agression. Japan severely underestimated us, and got their asses handed to them for the trouble.

But to read of the things the Japanese did then... I would say they acted equally as bad as the Nazis and there's nothing that modern terrorists have done that Japanese soldiers and pilots didn't already do 65+ years ago. Japanese culture has changed considerably since then.

Unfortunately so has ours, today kids would be lying about their age to avoid going for at least another year. I kind of think we lost something when they did away with the draft and all, looking back I think if I'd had to pull a couple years like my dad did it might have made me a better man, or at least helped me grow up a little sooner. Which is a big problem with our culture today, no one wants to grow up and act like an adult.

Anyhow, watching that and reading up on the war kind of gave me a whole new respect for the people who faught in that war, which include both of my grandfather's brothers. To read of some of the accounts of things that happened.... it's not surprising at all that guys didn't talk about it. It's very disconcerting to think that so many people don't appreciate the service those men gave us. As Michael Savage often says, had today's government been in charge in WWII you'd either be speaking german, or you'd be a lampshade.

as for history repeating itself, it is; Obama is like the black LBJ making the same bad decisions sending our guys into some overseas shithole no one cares about. It would be better if things were more like WWII and we could just blast those pricks off the map and bring the boys (and girls) home.

5. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I can remember around that time. My uncle came home on leave with his duffle bag, just before he left to go to France. He was with the 94th inf. div., got there in time to go to the front and then was wounded, and captured in the Battle of the Bulge. He did survive.

6. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Absolutely...the greatest generation of Americans ever. These little punks today will never understand.

7. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Wow, that's great!! Do you have a hi-res of this photo? Would love to give it to my dad.

I have a copy of an original poster of the war cruise of the U.S.S. Makin Island that he has. It shows the route of the Makin throughout the war in the Pacific, from its shakedown from the 19th -23rd of June of 1944 through inactivation in March of 1946. With period cartoon art and some funny comments inscribed back in the day, along with several photos on deck and of the ship. Wish I could scan it, it's kinda long and cumbersome.

He was in the war for 2 years, 2 months, and 22 days. I always remembered that from when I was little...

8. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Damn, I know I just posted....but well said!

9. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

That was directed at all the racists, wingnuts, and haters of, well pick one: the current generation, the media, the p.c. police, or the "punks of today", that launch attacks from their keyboards every year on this date. Have YOU forgotten that there's a war going on RIGHT NOW? Did you join up right after 9/11? Some of us did. Why don't you now? Uh-huh, thought so.

Like I said before, the greatest generation's greatest legacy is a peaceful and democratic Japan and Germany. They won the war. Not you.

10. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Rich. :)

A big salute to your Daddy...I will remember him...

Regards.

Ricky.

11. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey allengator. :)

9/11 will become like that if the current situation in this Country continues....

I have faith though and will never lose hope for a better tomorrow.

Regards.

Ricky.

12. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

God bless America is right !!!!!

If you are not proud of this country..take your filthy ass's somewhere else. :mad:

My Daddy served in WW II not long after he graduated from high school, he was in the Pacific until the end of the war.

He was in the pacific and was in the Engineer Corps, seems right as he is half Scottish.

I read all of the posts and see a lot of WW II Soldiers children posting.

I salute your Daddys and also your Mommas as the Mommas sufferd also.

My Daddy and Grandson.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s201/winr1/CopyofIMG_2682.jpg?t=1260267234

Regards.

Ricky.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

Lot of vets and sons of vets.How many have an WW2 Marine as a mother in law???:D Yup,she's still alive.

Attached Files:

14. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I was born 6 days after the day of infamy.

15. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

Yesterday the front page of the local liberal rag had a story on the sacrifices everyone made in WWII, an editorial urging everyone to remember Pearl Harbor, as well as an editorial cartoon honoring Pearl Harbor survivors. Today's paper had a full-color picture of a memorial ceremony, and there's an online gallery with still more pictures.

If our left-leaning editors see fit to give it that much coverage, I really wonder about some of your papers. Or maybe you just missed the articles on the way to read "Arlo & Janis".

16. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

I meant to post this a couple days ago and got lazy. The was passed to me by my grandfather. At some point he bought this set and put it in his storage file for keeps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

Wasn't quite born yet, but Dad worked on the Manhattan Project. We lost him last year, 98 yrs old. To his dying day, he wouldn't consider buying a Japanese car in rememberance of the thousands who were killed by a surprise and unprovoked attack that Sunday, Dec., 1941.

Sadly, nobody remembers Nam, not even our gov't. We do business with them daily, and our boys willingly followed orders to their end. It's crazy how things pan out. - Dave

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009