Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 Pontiac ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ...I have a 72 Pontiac 350 engine, the fuel pump has 3 lines coming out of it; I know the steel line goes to the carb; one comes from the tank, is the 3rd line a return line to the tank?...can I just plug this line?...as I won't be using a return line to the tank. Thanks.

2. squirrel

squirrel

should be the return to the tank. I'd get a new pump with only two lines. Should be able to find one for an older pontiac.

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The short answer is yes, you can plug it. Plug it well, however, because it will see regular fuel pressure. If you use a vaccum cap, that would be bad..

There is a long answer too, but it also ends in yes.

Good luck, -Abone.

4. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Get a piece of rubber hose....push a piece if bolt in there and hose clamp that puppy.....yes....Squirrel is the man!!!

5. this is just my experience....But The return line on my 67 GTO is clogged. When I first ran the car I ran it with two fuel lines from the pump down to a one gallon gas can. When I hooked up the lines to the tank it wouldn't run. I checked the feed and return lines and the return was clogged, I have replaced it and it works fine now....weird because I thought it should run.:(

6. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I wonder what the original thinking was of why they needed a return line.

7. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

jist like the charcoal canister thes hooked up to the fuel lines.....EPA junk....:cool:

8. squirrel

squirrel

not really, they were used on some cars to prevent vapor lock. Usually on A/C cars

9. ...that makes sense as this car did have AC.
    thanks guys.

10. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RUSTY...what does the AC have to do with it? realy because i would like to know myself. truth is stranger then fiction! man this is just to damn weird...POP.

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

Can't you just run the return line to a T on the supply line? Or would that create issues? And holeshot, as usual, nothing you say makes sense...carry on...

12. squirrel

squirrel

Extra heat up from A/C at the front of the engine, can cause vapor lock...constantly circulating cool fuel from the tank thru the line keeps the fuel liquid.

At least that's my guess, I didn't design the stupid thing, I just try to keep it running

13. If you plug that return line, you may have residual pressure issues when the motor's shut off that will push fuel past the needle and seat, flooding the motor, making it hard to start, and possibly gas wash the rings. Get the mid 60's, single in/single out pump

14. Ruiner

Ruiner

I did the same thing Groucho mentioned and just bought the 2 line pump at Napa for dirt cheap...

15. squirrel

squirrel

That's why I recommended getting the right pump way back at the top of the page...thanks Groucho

16. I know, I saw that. I was merely giving him some insight as to WHY. Sometimes guys think they have all the answers, do the easy fix, and have problems on the road, far from tools or the HAMB.;). Make sense?

17. squirrel

squirrel

Makes sense, thanks again

18. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

Pontiacs usually run warmer than other cars of that era due to the small grill area making it hard to get enough air. It seemed that they would run 195 no matter what you did. Today thats not even considered hot but at the time it was really warm. They always had big radiators to offset the problem.