Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kckris, Dec 8, 2009.

1. kckris

kckris

Hi there all. I'm new to the H.A.M.B. I just started a project and wanted to know what I was starting with. I bought this from a guy that said it was a 1928 Ford Model A Fordor. I know thats not what it is, I think its a 1930-31 Model A Fordor three window but not sure if its a Murry or a Briggs.
    I'm planing on turning it into a two door of some kind. Thanks for your help. Kris

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think it is a '28-9.

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Click the link in my sig - might help

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes sir! That is a Murray and 28-29 looks correct. It's not a 30-31. 30-31's had a a two-piece cowl with the cowl top being the gas tank top. The firewall would help tell us which year it is, probably. Looks real solid! Great start! There are some cool Model A Fordor hot rods here. Do a search for the threads and you'll see some great inspriration. That would be a great candidate if you don't remove one of the doors.

Check this out too... (before you get flamed)
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

6. kckris

kckris

Thanks all. Here are some more pictures of it. Sorry not the best pictures, from my phone. Again thanks for the help. Kris

Attached Files:

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The firewall is the giveaway for a 28-29 Fordor. That insert strip(missing in yours) is only used on 28-29 Fordor, Cabriolet, Town Car.

8. flatford39

flatford39

Yep, that is a 28 or 29 fordor.

9. Casey J

Casey J
    from Ada. MN

Yep 28-29 Murray.

10. kckris

kckris

Ok. so I'm getting back on this project. All of the wood is rotten and or missing. Just wanting to know if there is any kind of wood kits or is it just better to square tube insted. Plan for the car is just to chop the top 3 inches and channel over the frame.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wood kits should be available from any of the major reproduction places. MAC's, Mike's A-Fordable, Sacramento Vintage Ford, Brattons, etc... Probably going to be a little expensive, but depending on what exactly it is that you're trying to achieve with the build it might be your best option. Just chop like you would the rest of the car. Steel would be cheaper, probably, but there is so much wood in the early Fordor Sedans, you may have to build a jig or something to keep it all square and true anyway. Lots to consider and it will depend on your skill level, I suppose.

I don't think there was quite as much wood in your Murray as there was in the Briggs bodied Fordor. It might not be as bad as you think. In my Murray (actually a Briggs, but the same as a Murray for the Slant Windshield cars. Long story) there was only the back window, header panel, bows, and a few strips related to fastening interior panels. No real structural wood.