Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ealy Olds starter crossover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31olds, Dec 7, 2009.

1. 31olds

31olds

I have a 56 324 I am putting in a 31 Olds 5 window coupe to use for nostalgia racing. I am using the old adapter to change the starter to the passenger side. Does anyone know what starter to use for this. The 56 starter does not work even upside down, These must have been designed for some starter anyone know Thanks 31 olds

2. gup

gup
    from Washington

I am pretty sure it uses a Cadillac starter.

3. 31olds

31olds

Thanks do you know what year? 31 Olds

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

No mention of a different starter here.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You sure your changeover piece isn't intended for the '59 and newer engines that took a starter with a different drive gear, and maybe a different bolt pattern? I've seen them both ways.

6. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I have the same issue with my '56 Olds/40 Ford cpe.
    When I used the stock starter(56), upside down, the solenoid hit the oil pan.
    I relocated the solenoid mounting to miss the oil pan and have some hokey "side"
    linkage to engage the starter gear. I'm not happy with it but it's "a start" (ha-ha).
    I had the same setup on a 40 in 1961 but my best memory is that the solenoid was
    on top, where it should be. I got the starter with the change-over and don't
    know what it came from.
    I have heard that a 1946 Cadillac starter is what you want but I'm not sure.
    I was thinking that a '56 Caddy starter would make sense because it had the
    solenoid on top, and on the pass. side, and also is 12 volt. Again, I'm not sure.
    I too would like to find the answer to that question.
    I bet Joe Mondello knows...anybody know Joe?

7. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Try Pat at Wilcap or Tony at Ross[330 544 4466].

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had one and remember I had to grind the snout of the starter for ring gear clearance to rotate it so that the selonoid would clear.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

well if you are using the same year starter and flywheel, tooth count isn't the problem..

is there enough meat in the crossover to rotate the starter and redrill?
    some castings have pads cast in for more than one pattern..

I've had (have) a few of these crossovers and they have all been slightly different.

I got one to work by swapping noses one time,
    don't remember the combo though, been too many years..

10. Pez

Pez

Yep, Tony at Ross, he does a mini starter that could give you clearance without having to use a crossover.

11. bones35

bones35

I used the mini starter. Its nice, still had to mess with it but she cranks great and fast.

12. Rich has the right idea, although I can't remember exactly how much to remove. Believe
    it was a 1/4" , but I'll check mine to be sure.. (This may also depend on what brand
    change-over you are using.)
    Robb

13. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

In 1960 we had to move my Bro's starter closer to the flywheel. I think he just
    oblong the hole to rotate it closer. It's been a long time. The one I had worked
    perfect without mods. Both were 324's.

14. BJR

BJR

Is it possible to grind the indexing tang off and just rotate the snout of the starter and bolt it back on to the housing in a different position?

15. If I remember correctly, an Olds 6 cylinder starter (Model 76) from 48 or so would work on these. The solenoid ends up on top.

16. Stock Olds starter won't even come close to bolting up with this adaptor

El Tiki's 324 came with this adaptor, starter, everything. Busted the snout about 3 years ago. No ID tag on the starter.
    Knowledgable guy at our old junk yard in town said the starter was an early GM 6 volt starter. We could not match it up to anything in the yard. Took it to the local automotive electric shop to see if they could re-braze the snout. They were able to re-braze and rebuild the starter. Came back to me with the following P/N on the shop service tag. #1107109, I googled this and it came up as a 1952 Chevy 235 starter.

Hope this helps

17. 31olds

31olds

Thanks for all the help everyone. I looked at some pictures of an 6 volt chevy 6 starter 54 and earlier and it looks like it should work also a 54 cad looks close going out to a junkyard with some of that stuff and see what fits. will let you all know. 31 olds

18. couverkid

couverkid

YOu can use a stock 49-50 olds starter on the starter changeover. My dad just ran into the same thing. He has a 324 olds in a 40 coupe and I gave him my 50 olds starter and it worked fine.

19. Back in 59 I used a 49 Olds starter on my starter adapter. But the flywheel on the 49 Olds. had less teeth than the 324 flywheel which had more teeth so the 49 starter would't work with the 324 flywheel.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009