Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Goldenrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

There was another 2 part video of the Goldenrod I viewed on my computer about a year ago. It was obviously part of a TV segment. I never could locate it again... Damn!
    This was great! Thanks Mazooma! That car may as well have been a space ship when I was a kid. It was so mechanically advanced for its day that it was light years ahead...
    One of the great stories in all of hot rodding...

2. Blood, sweat, broken parts and 32 cylinders of Hemi power - just awesome!

3. what do you say to good old amercian thinking and to Geo Hurst, bliss the fathers of our sport and there why not thinking I also spyed Fred Stone in the mix a true master
    car wright.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Amazing... What a great video of a Historical Land Speed Racer.

Thanks a ton, Doug and Ryan!!

Malcolm

5. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

That was great! Made my 2 oldest kids watch it. Really didn't have to force them at all.
    Thanks for the post.

6. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

Here are some pictures before, during, & after restoration. I may have posted some of these before.

the-rodster. The Goldenrod STILL holds the FIA record. Others have been faster but not in their class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the scoop that was on the car during the record runs, all the show pictures have the "other" air scoops.

[​IMG]

7. koth

koth

That was really a cool video! Can't even imagine what that must have felt like to drive....but I would have loved to have the chance!
    Thanks for sharing this, Doug and Ryan:)

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Dynoroom...great photos. That thing must have had a turning radius like an aircraft carrier.

9. AZ29

AZ29
    from Arizona

Thanks Mazooma, that was a great video. Loved the "1-2"shift sound toward the final run.

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Anyone notice that high dollar steering gear? That's gotta be a hard to find piece! :)

[​IMG]

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

It's actually me. I age in reverse.

12. filthy frank

filthy frank

thanks for sharing the cool pics mike,dont quote me on this,but the guy with the crutch might be jim crosby,he had a lot to do with the car being built,ran,and showed us pics of the build during the restoration prossess.mike cook jr,and garcia did a lot for the rebuild.keep the pics coming ! and also,id like to get a copy of that rare footage if all possible.i still have a lot of 6x9s like the first pic of this topic if anybody wants, just pm me.

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Chrysler took their engines back? Seems a little unnecessary.

Where did those engines come from that were in it then before the resto. They look pretty original to me in those pre-resto photos.

[​IMG]

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

wow. thanks, that was a great story.

15. filthy frank

filthy frank

chrysler took back all four motors after the 4.27 run and one motor went here the others went where ever.those motors you see in the pics are just blocks with heads and no rods or slugswhen the henry ford museum bought the car,it was NEVER to run again.working on the car was amazing ! its an engineering marvel for its time.

16. 54FordPanel

54FordPanel

17. 54FordPanel

54FordPanel

18. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

Here's a few more shots during restoration before it went to Cook Motorsports.....

These are the engines being prepaired.

[​IMG]

The front drive unit.

[​IMG]

The rear drive & cockpit being put back together.

[​IMG]

The tin work before it was installed.

[​IMG]

19. Roadsir

Roadsir

"Dynoroom" great resto. Think I met you two years ago at the burger place in Wendover. That is some cool history to be a part of.

20. VonDust

VonDust

This car is truly a fine piece of art.
    When I was around 6 or 7 years old, for a few days, the GoldenRod was stored at a guy's home here in Indy just before some trade show going on in town, I think it was for the PRI Show. Anyway, the car was to be displayed at this show, but before then it was sitting in this guy's driveway on its open flatbed trailer. The driveway belonged to Charlie Patterson and he was my family's neighbor. I remember seeing the GoldenRod sitting in my neighbor's driveway. And Of course I walked across the yard to check it out with my dad, it was something else. I'm 21 now, at the time I didn't think I was going to see it here on an international hot rod forum, all I can think about is how lucky I am just to be that close to it, to touch it, feel the brush strokes in the lettering, and trying to figure out what exactly it was until my dad filled me in on it. Truly something special.

21. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Man that was awesome. Great video and photos, thanks to all.

22. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Wow. Very, very cool.

23. Hot_Rod_Johnny

Hot_Rod_Johnny
    from Sweden

Wow!

I saw the car at the NHRA museum 2002 - amazing car!

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks Mike for adding the resto photos. It's threads like these that are my favorite....when information and photos from many different sources gets all posted together to make one killer thread.:cool:

25. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

One of my all time favorites!
    I'm very fortunate to work across the street from this museum.I've spent many lunch hours there gawking at this awesome machine(and alot of others there as well!)
    If your ever in the metroDetroit area,take the time to check it out.You won't be disapointed.
    Huge thanks to Ryan, Mazooma1 and those who posted the resto pics!
    Here's some pics I've taken......
    Thx,Myron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. OMG.....it's the Oscar Meyer wiener truck!

Didn't know it was as cool as the Golden Rod?

Great History lesson, great footage Thanks!

27. filthy frank

filthy frank

nice pics myron,i heard that bob drove that car down mission blvd in ontario,ca.also, when he shifted the trans cases,he used BOTH hands !.

28. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

A broken wheel bearing at 400mph? That can sure lead to a bad day at the office.

Thanks to all who contributed the footage and pics of this cool story. The HAMB rules.

29. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

That is one bad ass video and extremely informative as well. In addition to all the positve comments about the GR I would like to state that I met Bill years ago at a car show where he was running his vendor booth. I thought that he was a real gentleman, didn't know me from Adam but was willing to chat. Cheers to both of the brothers.

30. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Here's a few more collectable things I have regarding GR.The car wax ad kills me.Was in the 1967 ShowTime I have.A collector card,and a resin model produced by Jimmy Flintstone.The finished model isn't mine.Mine still sits in the box. S o m e d a y,I'll build it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]