Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What Should I do with this 49 Fleetline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FestersGarage, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Got this car free off a friend it's been chopped badly and the back doors have been welded shut. any ideas of where to begain or should i even mess with it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

3. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I don't know, but I love that you have a pic of the redesigned Telstar on your page lol...

[​IMG]

4. Hell yeah I'd mess with it. Have any pics we can see. How "bad"is the chop. Most things can be fixed, it just depends on how much you want to deal with. But you can't beat free!

5. Shawn M

Shawn M

I think thats a sedan, not a fleetline by looking at the trunk. Hmmm, what to do? How much you want to spend? That's where I'd base my decision. Good Luck and where do you folks keep getting these free cars?!

6. The photos don't look too bad to me.. I'd definetely work with it. Some body filler, a week of sanding and flat paint would be in my future. Yeah, go for it!
    Oh yeah, that car is a "styline"..not a fleetline.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  7. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

I agree. How bad is it and how much do you want to spend.

8. Cut out that rear window and lower it down several inches toward the trunk line reinstall, patch panel and mud the rest, lay on the suede finish and ride it like you stole it. (Well......you practically did steal it).

9. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

replace and relocate the rear window . i would use a 50 olds rear backglass and set it 2 inchs lower . staighten out the rest of the sheet metal and then shoot it in black suede wide whites on chrome reverse rims baby moon caps and call it done !

10. 21tat

21tat

Looks like a project. Have fun with that.

11. budrow

budrow

A lot of work, a lot of scrounging and a few pay checks and you'll have a cool ride. Good luck and keep us posted.

12. Cut the top off and make a roadster..... hell the doors are already welded shut.

13. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

pancake the trunk, gives it a better flow. the chop doesnt look too awful bad in the pics. lower her, pancake the trunk, spray it with suede and drive the piss out of her!

14. they guy who chopped it cut the roof right down the center and then welded strapping over it its set up for a v8 but what to do about windows? plexi?

15. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

It all depends on how far you are willing to go.Like do you have the ability and tools to cut it apart and fix it right.Do you want a finished nice custom,a roughed out rat rod or just a cool looking driver?You could whack the top off clean up the edges do the mechanical work fairly cheep with a donner parts car to keep cost down .Its all up to you ,how bad do you want it and what $$ are you willing to spend.It is a lot of work no matter how you look at it but worth it in the end when driving it down the road.I would go for it.Good luck and have fun with it.

16. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

What do the inside of the pillars look like? or the back window area? How bad is it there and is it structurally sound? These would be my first question.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I had a stone stock '50 Fleetline that I parted out for good money. If you have time and space you may make some money, and scrap the rest.

18. jonny rocket

jonny rocket

I think Mizz Moonshine is right about flatening out the trunk. Its all about the lines. It really doesnt look that bad from the pics you have. Embrace the challenge, or give it to someone who will.

19. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

You can do it!!!

What i started with!!! And i didnt know how to build a car!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

Wow, I didnt know it started out like that.