Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hi from down under in Oz

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by PhilOO, Dec 7, 2009.

1. PhilOO

PhilOO

Hello fellow Hambsters

My name is Phil. I live in South Australia. It is hot & dry here so our cars never really rust much....just fry.

I am a fan of Aussie cars from the 60's, in those days generally ours were version of US cars of the era. I particularly like the offerings from Chrysler & Ford and own an example of each.

The Ford is a pretty rare 2 door 64 XM Futura. This car is a bare metal resto and is 98% complete. I just haven't figured out yet why that last 2% is taking so damn long. Alas I did make some additions along the way like a period Paxton SN61 supercharger, the stronger aussie 221 i6 with 7 bearing crank, C4 trans & 8"LSD. The car is a sleeper, all original from outside.

My favourite engine is the chrsyler slant 6. We only got the 225 here in oz (not the 170 or 198). They are such a tuff unit. I have a 61 S series Valiant. I think they call it an A body in the US? It has the push button torque flite auto. This is the second S series I have owned. This one is a rolling shell. We have just finished tubbing it and still have much to do. I hope to run this slant S at Lake Gairdner in a couple of years (Lake Gairdner is our version of Bonneville...it is a beautiful remote place indeed.)

I earn a crust as a contract mech engineer working in mining game and also for Ford plus a few others. I started of as an apprentice machinist and just can't leave the tools alone at work or at home I guess.

Anyway thanks for reading along. I have spied the HAMB for some time and bit the bullet finally & joined. I can recommend slantsix.org for valiant stuff and fordsix.com that stuff. But the HAMB is where I plan to round out my education and delve into the obscure. So thanks to those who run it.

cheers
    Phil

2. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

hello from ohio,sorry but what in the hell is going on with the hamb?anyone else having problems?

3. PhilOO

PhilOO

It is slow....a lot of users I guess :)

4. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

it usually isnt slow.there must be a problem.any pics.of your car?

5. PhilOO

PhilOO

6. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

didnt look like it needed anything to me except put the steering wheel on the other side lol!

7. PhilOO

PhilOO

Damn! I finished now & I forgot to move it!

8. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

or you can take the body off and turn it around.i will be alittle work but i think it would be worth it.

9. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Welcome from South Georgia :D

10. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

G'Day Phil,
    A fellow saltier hey??
    I expect I will be seeing you there then.
    Welcome to the HAMB & the Salt.
    Got the latest vid from Kick Ass on this years event??
    I hate to say it, but I'm on there too :eek:

By the sound of it you have been, so you know what to expect when you finally get your ride built.

Good luck!.............. life's fine..........in a straight line :D

11. PhilOO

PhilOO

Howdy R&R

A budding fellow saltier...my son (12) & I tried to get over there for the last few (as spectators) but it was rained out, this year we were lucky although Speedweek 2009 was a bit touch & go earlier in the week.

We went with a few mates. We were all first timers. Everyone agreed we would go back every year. The group of 5 now is looking like 10 this year! Anyway it is a contagious event. It think it is very unique too, I think racing crew outnumber spectators and the big end of town haven't got their claws into it yet. Plus its such a great location. I have lived in SA all my life and never have I heard the tourist board promote this part of the world.Anyway, good, I hope it stays secret a bit longer :)

One of my mates who went with us is already building a bug for 2010. He lurks around here on the HAMB. He literally is counting down the days to Speedweek (evertime we talk!). I hope he makes it in time. I will help him as he needs it. I have offered to drag his car to Lake Gairdner.

I reckon I will probably get the Valiant there in 2011 maybe even 2012 as we are doing a house extension next year so I expect a lot of disruption. I want to take some time with my build. God knows I have in the past!

I think i am targeting the /PRO class (ie basically a stock body) My build is not straight forward (which build is?) in that I want the car to be road registered. The DLRA don't have a road registered class anymore (fair enough) as we need roll cages. So for me its about complying with their rules and getting the car through regency. I want it road registered as I don't want to spend all that money only to get to drive it once a year (or as we have just seen once in 3 years!) So rather than build a salt themed street car I thought I will just try and register my salt racer :)

I haven't seen the vid you mentioned - but we did take a zillion photo's. Which is your car?

You are in South Oz, whereabouts? Whats your biz? You have an impressive list of cars on your profile.

12. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

G'Day again,
    My Rod shop is virtually on the Melbourne Highway, in Keith, 2 1/2 hours south of Adelaide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could be seeing you on the salt, as from next year, I will be scrutineering. I current sit on the state TAC committee as Delegate for rego for pre 48 cars (Hot Rods) Help guys out with their builds & do the inspections on them for rego from Murray Bridge South.

I do not currently have a 'Salt' car, though I may take my A Roadster up there next year. Depends??
    A friend of mine is building a Dual Flathead engined streamliner so I have been watching the build with great expectations :D We could be travelling together to the salt again next year, so the roadster may stay at home.
    I got on a team for a couple of days this year & had an absolute BLAST :cool::cool:

Plans for a '34 Coupe for the salt might happen one day, but work just continues to get in the way :( :(

13. PhilOO

PhilOO

Howdy R&R

I have driven past your shop I reckon on last boxing day. The fam was on route to Melbourne & surrounds for a 2 week touring holiday, to see friends.

Anyway it was a suprise to see such a shop in a small town like Keith, but I suppose you get a lot of passing traffic. Next time I will stick my head in.

All those projects sound cool. I love the old lakesters...and the flatties.

Do you know who scrutineers in Adelaide for the DLRA? I reckon my mate with the bug would appreciate some commentary prior to turning up on the lake.

Anyway, I will ask after you at speedweek to say gday.

14. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

G'Day again Phil (why aren't you in the shed working :D:D)

Most of my work finds me, so the location isn't that important, though I do get a lot of lookers (anything to try & spead the word ;))

As mentioned it will be my first year scruitineering next year so I expect I will have the thinking cap on (for a few days anyway:rolleyes:) so on that note I do not know who is in Adelaide that may be able to help, but I expect will know soon, so we may be able to get some advise your mate anyway.

I unfortuantely missed the last meeting in Adelaide, as I had other commitments & I would like to have made the next working bee at the lake, but I will also be interstate between Christmas & New Year :(:(
    I spose thats the best time when people have holidays.

While there are a few at the lake, I won't be that hard to find (just look for the drooling Hot Rodder without a team :D)

C'ya

15. PhilOO

PhilOO

I'm worked 4 hours this morning then came in & had to lie down. Got the damn flu! Was meant to go out for dinner with a work crowd from years back...too sore! Just lyin in bed with the laptop...tradgic I know.

So they have a meeting in Adelaide? Do tell? Is that the DLRA? I really should get off my backside & join.

I have been chatting to a guy in Queensland, Bob Ellis who has that awesome blue & white XP falcon coupe. I was trying to interpret the rules on cages. He said if my build is a few years away to get the SCTA rule book & build to that. He said the DLRA will most likely be going to the SCTA rules.

Did you see his XP on rodders life on Foxtel...it followed there exploits from QLD to the salt. My bug mates bum crack even featured prominently on national TV. He will cringe when he checks in here & reads what I have been saying :)

16. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

Bugger that your not feeling well.
    The only reason I've been on here & not at work is we are having our family Christmas get together before the kids fly out to Qld next week & I also have the laptop in the lounge :D

The last meeting was a BBQ at a private residence, but everyone was there (accpet me :()

Bob is a good man to be speaking to.
    He will help you out heaps!
    I know Bob & his car & no...... we do not have Foxtel :(
    That is one very nicely built/presented car.
    Some how he manages to do all the work he does..............& race it :D

I have been following the DLRA for a few years now, but it took me a long time to get there (I even got part way there a few years ago with the no. 1 member, but of course.........it was wet) We where going to be with P.O.P racing from the States (the Phillips streamliner team) :(:( They too are wonderful people.
    As Norm say's in his write up in the latest DLRA newsletter, with the plights of Big Knob racings recent trip to Bonneyville, "Salt Lake Racers are a wonderful bunch of people", they helped him out heaps. :cool::cool::cool:

17. PhilOO

PhilOO

When the next BBQ is on, let me know. Will bring the bug man, name is Mick, he is working on some wierd bug thing "36 HP challenge" or some such thing, he has been talking to Norm I think. Its a bug thing...I just nod and agree :) Anyway we can come bearing gifts, beer & meat?

We saw Norm at Gazzanats. I only went to carry in the front apron of an XL falcon i had only just sabre sawed off that morning. I gave it to Norm so he could make a custom radiator for my XM (same apron) Anyway it is a nice radiator. I had to mount it outboard of the apron as all the Gates pulleys take up too much space to have it inboard. Now I am modding up all bonnet latches etc as the stock ones foul the massive radiator (the grill still fits but...with 5mm to spare!)

18. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

Norm is a GREAT bloke :D
    He is a wonderfull promoter of the salt.

His site is opposite mine @ the Ballarat Swap.
    He does all our radiators, with another due for our new '38 shop truck soon (not that he knows it yet ;)) ...... I should be working on it now actually :(:(

19. fat57

fat57

Hello from sydney

20. dashman

dashman
    from Viroqua WI

Hey guys welcome to the Hamb from Wisconsin!

21. roughidle

roughidle
    BANNED
    from iowa

22. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Welcome the HAMB from Portland Oregon. Nice Falcon! I have a 1962 Ford Ranchero. I noticed your gauge cluster is different than the typical Falcon cluster from the States. My cluster looks close to yours and I got it from a 1962 Merc. Meteor. Just interesting to see that the fancy Mercs and Futuras came with a more elaberate cluster.

Cheers.