Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ignition Cyl replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iluvnos, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Iluvnos

Iluvnos

Hey there, my 63 Fairlane ignition cyl is giving me fits. I put the key in and it will not turn. (yes it is the right key) If I keep screwing with it it will eventually turn. My fear is one day it will not turn. I know it is a 46 year old car and it needs to be replaced, so my question is how does one replace the cyl? I have ordered one from auto zone for $5 and it will be here mid week. Thanks gang.

2. GMs have a tiny hole, you turned the cylinder all the way, used a straightened paper clip or needle through the hole to depress a button inside and then the cylinder came out. I'm not sure if Ford used the same idea, or not.

3. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

have some new keys cut maybe problem?????
    dry lube?

4. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

Found these instructions online, same as what rustynewyorker wrote:
    To replace the lock cylinder, insert the key and turn the cylinder to the accessory position. Insert the end of a paper clip into the small hole in the face of the cylinder. Continue turning the key counterclockwise while gently pulling on the key. The cylinder should come out after the key is turned approximately 1/8 turn past the accessory position. Once the cylinder is removed, with one hand hold the ignition switch bezel on front of dash firmly in place, while at the same with the other hand reach under the dash, and press the switch body against the back of the dash to compress the spring and turn the switch body counter clockwise. The bezel and body will separate. Gently pull the switch body out from the back of the dash, separate/pry the rubberized wire harness from the switch. Reverse procedure to reinstall. To install the new lock cylinder, index the cylinder so that the key is turned approximately 1/8 turn counterclockwise from the accessory position. You will probably have to insert the paper clip into the hole to turn the key. Insert the lock all the way into the switch and turn the key clockwise until the cylinder locks in place. believe the front chrome trim piece is actually the nut.

5. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Been my experience: Also might want to disconnect the battery before maybe getting reminded by that unique "electrical smell".........

Subject related: In the past have found, as well as heard of, intermittent problems with the electrical part of the switch, ignition cutting out, performance/driveability problems etc. Easy to over look, drove me nuts diagnosing until I remembered a neighbor lady's brand new Olds F-85 turbo. Took dealer and factory tech reps almost a year to catch up with that one after trying to blame the turbo, changing all the ignition components, wiring harnesses, etc.

Ed

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I had a similar problem with a Ford ignition switch. I blamed the lock, but the problem was inside the switch. Try lubricating the back inside part of the switch with WD40, where the electrical contacts are.

7. Iluvnos

Iluvnos

Thanks Mike, will try this first as it is the cheap possibly easy fix. Next step is the key, then I will do a full replacement of the cylinder then go from there, I will post the results.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

BTW, I have a NOS Ford switch with keys that will probably match your car. PM me if you're interested.