Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing you have ever found at a wrecking yard???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Jul 23, 2009.

1. chubbie

chubbie

no wrecking yard...just a year ago a trailer full of stuff..headed for the junk yard pulled into the gas station, I'm stand'n beside it all cleaned up headed out with my 41 chubbie, pumping my gas just looking at the old farm gates, wire, ect. and i see a transmision w/ hurst shifter. it was under all this junk. "how much for the trans?" he says I dont know because its no good, there are good ones and this is the one no one wants, or i would keep it myself.............$25 and a lot of work and a few bloody knuckles I pull out a greasy M-20 muncie/comp-plus shifter needs sincros. rest looks good

2. ONAROLL

ONAROLL
    from Oklahoma

star wars air cleaner from a buick GS, perfect condition...I just thought it was cool.....20 bucks turned into 750.00 in two days.

3. choke

choke

Scored a Pontiac Ram Air IV motor that was fresh out of a wrecked 68 GTO for $400.00. All I needed was a stock motor for my Firebird. Counter guy sent me to their storage lot alone to look at it. Went back and paid him. He said he'd give me $50.00 off if I pulled it myself using his wrecker!!!. What a score! The firebird ran like a rapped ape, unreal. Never find another score like that again!!!!

4. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

A 28 Model A pickup complete with 2 extra sets of fenders, extra hood and about 8 or so sets of flathead, heads for $50. No joke, I did have to dig the A out of the ground as it had sunk in about a foot. Thankfully it was in So-Cal and it was in great condition under that dirt. Was about a mile from Pt. Mugu air base. The guy was a friend of my Dads and used to work for the untouchables TV show doing body work after filming. The truck was frequently used by John Wayne and he had the pictures to prove it.

5. A whole nest of rattlesnakes right beside my head. I was so busy watching out for wasps and black widow spiders I crawled under right beside them without noticing until they all started to buzz at once. Once I scrambled out I opened the hood of the engineless stude and had a look, at least a dozen of 'em.

6. adamshumard

adamshumard

This ol girl complete with fulton visor in the back seatcost me $400. Also a ww2 air tank for free once. Picked up a delta 88 from an impound once with a fresh 455. had receipt for rebuild in glove box. It had 11 miles on it. Rearend was blown up. Got it for $50.

[​IMG]

7. Kerry67

Kerry67

And that would have ended my junkyard activities for life.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It's hard to remember them all, but a few of the highlights are:

A 1956 Chevy 265 power pack air cleaner in the trunk of an early '50s Packard--$5.00

An early style Mallory dual point for nailhead Buicks, literally stomped into the mud with just the drive end sticking out--$4.00 (don't ask me, he named the price).

A seized up (full of water for years) 401 Buick out of a '65 GS with a complete stick setup still bolted to it (Ford top loader 3 speed). Left the transmission there, but bought the flywheel and bell housing for $15.00.

A 1950 Cadillac ambulance with a standard transmission. The junky drug it in for the engine, but told me it was seized. I told him I wanted the transmission and he said I could have anything but the engine for $50. He rolled it over on its side, and I went to work removing the trans, bell housing, and flywheel. While I was breaking the flywheel bolts loose, the engine started turning over. The junky was so overjoyed when I told him that I broke his engine loose for him, he lowered the price on the other junk to $25.00.

A pair of Fenton headers from an otherwise stock '61 Impala 4 dr. in a local U-pull it yard. They get $9.00 per exhaust manifold, so the pair was $18.00.

In the "walked by it a thousand times before I opened the hood" department: a '40 Ford four door that I finally looked at out of curiosity, only to find a '53 Cadillac 331 under the hood. The engine was junk, but I thought I might snag the transmission adapter off it, so I crawled underneath to find that there was no adapter--because it was using a LaSalle three speed, modified to bolt to the torque tube. After I removed the trans, bell housing, flywheel, and Hurst engine mounts, I removed a valve cover (don't ask me why) to find Thomas adjustable rocker arms. Total price, $75.00 for the driveline parts, and an additional $10.00 for the rockers.

9. rotenjon

rotenjon

1940 cadillac banjo steering wheel for 10 bucks!, and the old boy that ran the yard told me the caddy i got it from was used in a local bank robbery in 1948.

10. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

429 cobra jet in a torino at the pick a part on beach blvd in garden grove for 10 bucks, sold for 85 could not take CJ heads off as i did not have time and tools, when I went back they where gone.

11. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

Well, there are somethings I regret not getting due to stupidity and/or lack of funds, but some of the scores I did get are:

Complete unmolested 428 from '67 T-bird, aircleaner to oil pan, fan to flexplate for $300.

Complete Versailles disc brake 9" rear for $200.

Wide Ratio Toploader with factory shifter for $175.

Complete 31 spline, N case, traction loc 9" from 1971 Ranchero for $200.

Complete front disc set up from same for $50.

Edelbrock Streetmaster and F427 intakes for FE's from $35 to $75.

Complete 9" with 3.89 gears from '58 Edsel for $75.00.

Complete set of Factory shop manuals for 1969 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury that the yard guy let me have for free.

And a bowling ball that fit my fingers for free (I know, it's been done before!)

Brett

12. bigroy

bigroy

WW2 half track, v12 jag, 54 Mac truck, 54 dodge cornet, several 30's chevys and buicks. old nash's and caddy's

13. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

I found some art for my wall!
    [​IMG]

14. metal man

metal man

Two years ago in a yard 15 minutes from home , found a complete '41 Ford coupe with a nailhead in it . It had a huge moonshine tank behind the seat .

15. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

1971..pulled an XK150 FHC out of a yard in Wisconsin..$150, a XK120 FHC in decent body..no engine or interior $200. Both were gold mines for me.

16. 65 impala

65 impala

a 409 block 348 pan and timingcover for 100 bucks

17. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

Laying in the dirt I found a polished fenton 3 deuce intake for a Ford Y-block with 3 strombergs, the linkage, and fenton chrome fuel block in the aluminum pile at a recycling yard. Hadn't been there long and it had been stored indoors. 97's came apart the nicely. No shit.

18. 64chrysler300

64chrysler300

not a junkyard, but sorta. in my friends woods there is a bunch of old cars. in the front are a bunch of crappy old foreign cars. in the back i found some pretty cool old cars such as a 1952
    chevy two dr hardtop, a early 50s chevy suburban, a 1955 or 6 plymouth 2 dr post, a 1947 chrysler, a 1966 or 7 nova, a 1964 impala 4 door hardtop, a 1951 or 2 fors truck cab, a 1960 ford truck half sunk in the mud, and a 1967 ford ranger. i got the bumper, steering wheel w/ horn ring in good shape and the chrome bumper for free!

19. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

i came across 4 m/t slotted mags all in good condition this past weekend in a pick n pull yard - got them all for under 50 bux

20. Worked in junkyards half my life so there are many many stories. Muncie 4 speed in the trunk of a Chevy Cavalier we hauled in for free, ladies diamond studded Bulova watch still ticking under the seat of a VW Rabbit, 45 auto pistol loaded behind the seat of an F150. Most unusual I guess was when I worked at a yard in Mass that also bought alot of military surplus scrap metal. Found all the pieces to a fairly good size missile and assembled it out in the yard. He also had a couple really old radial aircraft engines rusting away.

grifcarnut likes this.
  21. Found an 8 foot pine snake under a pick-up truck yup, great find! I threw the parts I had at him wiped the crap out a my overalls and went home empty handed. Man I hate those SOBs

22. A 357 Magnum loaded with snake shot rounds is a good companion when walking through old junkyards.

23. kiotes

kiotes

this my 65 rambler american 440 for $250 bucks..
    dragrambler2.jpg

24. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

A partial list of some of my better finds

Most of these finds date from the
    mid-'70's- to the early or mid '90's,
    and came from various auto and heavy
    truck wrecking yards, marine salvage
    yards and 'metal salvage' - ie - scrap
    yards Most of the stuff was bought for
    use as swap meet fodder and is all
    long gone, so don't ask :)

1) a pair of running 354 hemi engines
    cut out of out a pair 1959 Dodge tandem
    dump trucks - in a heavy truck wrecking
    yard - bought for &100 each

2) a running 331 Chrysler Marine hemi ,
    from the rotted and otherwise picked
    over hull of a 50's-something Chris-Craft
    16 ft.wooden boat. in a marine salvage
    yard. I had to take the whole boat for
    $200 to get the engine

3) a pair of 300hp 427 Interceptor Marine
    engines (427 Ford center oiler blocks with
    low-riser heads) and a 430 Dearborn Marine
    (430 MEL) engine - bought all 3 engines as
    "rebuildable cores' for $200.

4a) a '25 or '26 Reo 1 ton C cab truck fitted
    with an early 30's vintage wrecker body
    with a hand-cranked winch ,very rough but
    complete;

4b) a '26 Chevy 1/2 ton truck chassis -
    cut down to make a homemade sawmill,

4c) a 30 Ford AA 1 1/2 ton truck with
    the cab removed, the frame cut down
    and fitted with lugged steel tractor
    wheels and two 4-speed transmissions
    to make a homebuilt farm tractor;

I got all three of these for free,
    just for hauling them away, from a
    land development company that was
    cleaning up some farmland, part of
    which had been used as a backwoods
    auto wrecking and junkyard in the
    '40's and '50's.

5) a complete and not badly rusted
    '60 Edsel Town & Country station
    wagon- rescued 5 minutes before it
    was due to be crushed and shredded
    at a metal salvage yard - bought
    for $125 "on the scale" scrap value

6) A pair of 9 inch Ford rearend center
    sections with factory 4.57 gears(!)
    that I pulled from a pair of 63 Ford
    Econoline pick-ups that had originally
    been used by a local plumbing contractor
    - in local a truck wreckers for $75
    for the pair.

7) a nodular-iron 9 inch Ford center
    section with a 31 spline carrier, 4.11
    gears and a Detroit Locker - pulled
    from a '70's-something Ford Bronco
    in a truck wrecking yard - for $50

8) a complete 9 inch Ford disk-brake
    rearend with 3.25 gears and a 4-pinion
    traction lock - from an early 80's Mercury
    Villager station wagon - from a wrecking
    yard for $125

9) A factory 4-spd. console, in-dash
    tach, and complete 12 bolt posi
    rearend with 3.36 gears - in a
    wrecking yard - from the otherwise
    gutted and wrecked remains of a '
    what had been an '65 350hp-327
    Chevelle.

10) a factory Olds W30 aluminum
    intake manifold pulled from a pile of
    scrap aluminum at a metal salvage
    yard bought for $5 (scrap vaue!)

11) a bushel basket of various sized AN
    fittings and about 100 feet of teflon-lined
    stainless braided hose in various lengths
    and sizes -,pulled from the hulk of a
    scrapped former RCAF CF-100 fighter jet
    - in a metal salvage yard - al for $50. It
    took whole day of solid work with me
    and a buddy removing the fittings and
    lines ....but well worth the effort!

12) a complete, non-running but
    very decent Hudson Metropolitan
    convertible bought for $75 at a
    metal salvage yard. This was the
    Hudson-badged version of the
    Nash Metropolitan and were sold
    by Hudson dealers.

13) a complete, running and drivable(!)
    60's or '70's -something vintage Citroen
    2CV sedan with a roll back canvas roof
    for 250 from a wrecking yard. The car
    was so absolutely ugly, weird and French
    that it was cool and I just had to save it!

14) a '57 Cadillac Eldorado factory
    dual-quad intake, complete with carbs,
    linkage and batwing air breather
    assembly - from a farmer who ran a
    small backwoods wrecking yard. for
    $75

15) a cast-iron '66 Olds 442 factory
    tri-power intake manifold in a metal
    salvage yard for $5 !

16) a rough but complete and running
    '72(?) Puma Coupe in a wrecking yard
    for $250. The Puma was a factory-built,
    Brazilian made 2-seat sportscar built on
    new Brazilian-made VW floorpans and
    used a fiberglass body loosely copied
    from a Ferrari Dino .A couple of
    thousand or so Puma coupes and
    roadsters were imported into the U.S
    and Canada in the early 1970's before
    the company importing them folded.

17) a'59 Studebaker Lark 2-dr sedan,
    with a 383 Chrysler engine, torqueflite
    trans and 8 3/4 rearend - in a wrecking
    yard for $250. This car was somebody's
    uncompleted attempt at building a drag
    car sometime in the early '70's .The body
    was a bit rough and the modification
    made to install the Chrysler engine and
    tranny were pretty crude, but the car
    was fairly complete and included a ton of
    good parts in the trunk.

=========================

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  25. I found this 41 buick sedanette. The car hadent been moved since the 50s, it has 30,000 original miles, and the duel carb straight 8 intake and motor. It is all there, i was stoked, and took it home.

[​IMG]

26. thebastard

thebastard
    BANNED

found my current girl friend at one, a tiny junk yard in the kiln, met stripping parts from the same truck, she took valve cover from the 300 6 and i took the cam.
    hahahah, shows ya never know what your gonna find in a wrecking yard.

27. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

I found a right quarter panel, quarter window and tailgate for my crashed 1962 Galaxie wagon - thank you Desert Valley Auto Parts!

28. Was lettering a race car close to Galveston and went out back where all the junk car were to take a leak. As I stood there, I saw 20 or so flatheads just sitting there. Some with speed eqpt.too. I asked the guy about them and he said take em all. I loaed up everyhting. Just for taking a leak. Sold all of em a few years ago.

When I lived at home, Shiner, Tx. (Yes, that BEER!) we had one junk yard on the road to the house and one right behind us that I could see from my bedroom window. They were full of everything 20's-50's. My Dad was a car nut and was lawys buying stuff but I never understood why he didn't buy everything he could from those yards. They all got crushed around 1985. I did buy a complete 50 Merc coupe in 1981 for $50. Everytime I go see my Mom, I get depressed about all that iron gone.

Mikey

29. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

this was a recent as maybe 95/96, a buddy outisde of East grand Forks Minnesota says he knows of a nice 64 Dodge 4 door in one of the local wreckers, he noticed a shiny glare from the passenger side glass one day late in the fall...walked over and looked in the window, someone had left the glove box open and the light was on. he shut the box and went on his way.

My Dad and I drive out to take a look, its waaaaay in the back in what is now a mud bog, drive mis van in as far as we can the hoof it over to the reported vicinity and find a complete, rust free, SHINY , unmollested 64 Dodge 440 model (US) 4 door sedan, 361 2 bbl automatic.....this car looked like it had been dropped in by helicopter, it was better than most cars at crise nights....

the yard wanted 800 bucks and was passed, later it was reported gone....about a year later my buddy says the car was sold for 1200 after no one wanted it for 8, the yard bumped the price (?) and away it went, maybe 6 months later, I was in an underground parking garage in another friends building back home in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada...., and around the corner from his car was the same 64 with Manitba dealer plates.

I have no idea where that car is now, but , man, talk about something I'm STILL kicking myself over. sad really.

30. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

My wife was on the other side of a truck i was pulling a door off of. "Come here and look at this," she said. I went over there and she was laying neked on the seat of a van.:) Guess that's why they call it the BONEYARD!:eek: