Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

Can anyone confirm this????????????????

So I can pull this dizzy out????? Just heard some horror stories that some inline six dizzys cannot be pulled out.....just confirming before something crazy happens!!!!

One question I had...how can you pick up and turn this dizzy with that "smog pump" type thing on the side of the dizzy? Very minimal space between the motor and the side firewall.

2. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

UPDATE: Well, we began work on the Econoline last night. Started by attacking the battery issue....the battery was loosing voltage for some reason.....removed the generator and brought it down to get tested - turned out BAD.......now, either get it re-wound or try to see if NAPA can get me another one. So, as you can see....never got to the timing issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my Econoline is a 1964, and these generator style charging systems came on the 61-63s?? Just wondering if I have an older motor or older charging system.

3. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

Wow, alot harder to get one of these generators than I thought.
    Looking into getting it re-wound.

What about converting these to an alternator for 64-67 econoline.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sounds like it's time to convert to an alternator. Just grab the alternator and regulator, bracket and hardware from anything later that is 144,170,200,250 inch six, and put it in.

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

64s still had generators. 65 and up had alternators.

6. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

Converting from Generator to Alternator this week!! Anyone having a wiring diagram/explanation that'll help me out? Thanks

7. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

i never finished the swap on the 61 but u can use a gm 1 wire internally regulated alt and that will save u tons of trouble wiring basicly only 1 wire to the battery and bam your converted to alternator.

8. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

sweet thanks.....year?

9. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

well they came in all sorts of gm vehicles 90% chance u go to the pick n pull and look u will find one

10. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

rrrrrr 004.tif.jpg
    My 69 E100, Henry is not just and ol van, but a member of the Family. I've been beating on him since 1974. I have had him longer than my kids.

11. mavic31

mavic31

I have a couple Econoline's. I bought a ;61 a couple years ago hoping to get time to rebuild it and get it to my likung. As time past i realized i would not likely have the time to do all the work needed. Just a month ago I decided to buy an already running complete 66. Just picked it up this weekend and am going to drive it for a year or so then add a sub-frame with 4 link and pinto front end to get the ride height i desire. This thing will be tubbed with 18s or 19s out back as well.. what a great buy!.. I am stoked and itching to get in this thing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When its done....

[​IMG]

12. midwestcar

midwestcar
    from il

there are some great looking econolines on here. heres mine i did for my shop truck. ive always dug these vans!

Attached Files:

13. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

thats a good lookin van. how did you do your suspension?

14. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

yea i wanna know two.......... bags or leafs and what wheels are those size/offset

15. midwestcar

midwestcar
    from il

thanks guys...i have monoleaf front and rear. front setup is mono with axle flipped on bottom. custom wishbone setup going front with pivot in the front..dropped the steering arm underneath the leaf and mounted bag behind axle on the leaf. did a drop shock in stock location. got rid of the sway bar. rear is flipped axle with mono..mounted bag on top of axle. then i did a 4 inch body drop. i have a 18x8 in the front a 20x8 in the rear. front offset is 4.5 bs and rear is 4 bs. rides great. to solve bumpstear issues i just heated up the steering shaft and made it parallel at ride height. thanks again !

16. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

Not mine, but I had to send it.

Attached Files:

17. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

wow sound like fun fab work do u have any pics of that

18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

midwestcar...you are my new hero. I too would love to see shots. You and Church are pretty much showing me that their will never be a "kit" for these. No substitute for a shit-ton of work. I don't know that I want to spend that much dough on mine but it sure would be cool.

19. erock805

erock805

Midwestcar....awesome looking van. Would love to see more pics of that ride!

Also, just finished the newly recovered seats, dash with chrome and the rear tailgate. Hopefully I can get the pics up this week. Looks way cooler, nice to make progress.

Oh , tore down my 250, taking the head to the machine shop in the am....

20. mothradeath

mothradeath

heres one i just found ive never seen before.
    [​IMG]

21. tatra

tatra
    from the peg

hi, new here from the gj board.........have a 66 econoline heavy duty with no side doors, factory.........was a small six and 3 spd std. that i ditched years ago..........plans are for a m/b 5 cyl turbo diesel with auto, hopefully a veggie oil conversion in the back,all wheel , 4wheel drive..........will also look at fabbing up a custom frame and would like to go with power rack and ifs............also just found out about the steer gear[?] mod that some one has done to theirs.........can't rmrmber who as i went thru this entire thread before and just remeber the componet...........the donr car for the eng is an 81 m/b wagon with the hydraulic rear supension....may look into incorporating that also...........had the truck since my teens and no hurry to get to it just yet........have a 24 x 24 garage, maxjax hoist i just bought, enough tools to do the job, no wife, kid, and work as a locomotive mechanic as a full time gig...........looking fowards to others updates to their econos in the future..........this seems to be one of the more knowledgeble boards out there for custom fab work..........cheers from the "pirate contest city" in the great white north..........

22. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

I had the van workin last weekend. Loaded for the swap meet. :D Cheezy cell phone pics. Later,Bill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. erock805

erock805

24. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

way cool thats why I wish I had one! .... a parts hauler.

25. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

:D:D:D It was a good thing I only had 2 blocks to go to the meet. The body was way too close to the tires.

Later, Bill

26. sideoiler10

sideoiler10
    from Missouri

Do any of you guys with the very early econolines have the original shorty, square looking seats that you no longer need? I need a set if you know anyone that has them. Please pm me or email me at [email protected]. Thanks, Bob

27. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I was able to score an NOS set of Fenton Hawks to replace my raders and also got a perfect tailgate for the matching trailer on my supervan. I'm getting pretty jazzed on this one. Anxious to get it on the road for next summer. Anybody know of any neat intakes for the 240 engine for sale?

28. plummad

plummad
    from Washington

This thread is very inspiring, this is all ford van parts on the underside though...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

29. vein

vein

There was a dodge here in tacoma for $500. I kill myself for not picking it up.

30. rev106

rev106

http://www.classicinlines.com/