Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home made spot welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thecheappolock, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Has anyone on here ever make a home made spotwelder? I've seen some info on the web about using a microwave transformer, but will it weld metal the same gage as body panels?
    I'm doing rosette welds on the car now, but, I honestly have around 700 to 800 more to do, so a spot welder would PROBABLY BE A LITTLE FASTER!
    The package tray alone has around 160 welds.

Dan

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i dunno...but it might pop some popcorn!!!

3. 29paul

29paul

Dont know if he is on the Hamb but he can help. [​IMG]

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Right here.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, you are too far away to have been talking to one of my former students but that sounds like something he would have come up with. I'd hit the welding supply shops and see if they had or knew of a used unit for a right price first.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. 73RR

73RR

If I was faced with 700 spots I would be looking for the proper welder, which is what you'll likely end up doing after the 'converted' pos dies at weld number 4...:eek:

7. roddinron

roddinron

8. Why not ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

10. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Holy MacGyver! That's awesome. Any back story to this?

11. that thing looks insane.

12. 61TBird

61TBird

Call any major companies Customer Service line and ask "Bill" or "Mary" for their Brother "Sanjay the welder's" phone number :eek:

13. You'll need at least 2-3 microwave oven transformers (MOV transformers to the basement builders) to get the kind of power you need to weld body panels, which makes the whole setup rather heavy. That is a problem because with the kind of current that it takes to burn in a resistance weld requires huge ass conductors, which is why they typically mount the electrodes right to the transformer to keep them short. While the MOV transformers might be able to handle 1kw each, you are limited by the number of windings of heavy condutor you can wrap on as a secondary, so you might be able to get two windings on each.

If your goal is to mess around and learn something, there is a host of 19th century cutting edge technology projects you can build with moderate knowlege of the transformer, but a decent sized spot welder is somewhat hard to build yourself.

I found a 220v 1.8KW spot welder at a swap meet for 75 bucks, it needed some work but now it welds like a champ. I think you might be able to find one at the local equipment dealer for a reasonable sum.

14. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

15. I was thinking of one from harbor freight, but I didn't know if it would last as long as the "microwave" type. Honestly, I'd probably kill myself with a home-made one anyway.

"What's that odd smell?"

"Oh, that. Dan's using a different kind of shampoo, a little more fire retardant."

Dan

16. 62rebel

62rebel

love that pic. no gloves, probably no goggles (clearly no mask, as his lower face is shown), no idea of what amperage he's working with....
    skin cancer? p-shaw! zinc jitters? p-shaw! flash burns (ESPECIALLY his eyes) oh p-SHAW! he'll more than likely be hacked to death by rival tribesmen first.

17. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

:eek: nice welds. Not!

18. duste01

duste01

you have to give them credit for making something out of nothing in the middle of nowhere.

19. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Looks like the South Bronx. :D

20. Rusty65

Rusty65
    from Florida

Go to Iraq and you'll get first hand experience on how to build anything out of duct tape and hammer