Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who had the coolest car in school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maxwedge66, Jul 31, 2008.

1. DrJ

DrJ

Anybody got a pic of Jerry Cohn's Candy Red '50? Chevy Lowrider/Custom?

2. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

For those like me who didnt have a car anyone who actually had one was the coolest.

3. 46achers

46achers

Friend of mine in school (1964) by the name of Bill Posey had a 49 or 50 Chevy convertible with a Ford flathead in it! It was put in on a dare, guys said "no way will a Flathead fit!" It fit and ran good. Engine came out of his Dad's 29 A sedan.

Bill was later killed by a drunk driver

4. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I'm so jealous, what a time and place to be car wise!

5. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

right now i am.... no body else has anything other than a kia or honda

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I graduated this year, and my entire senior year i drove a 51' buick with flames and a straight pipe!

Everyone thought i was wierd.

7. MotoVintage

MotoVintage

Without a doubt it was Shannon O'bar, only one who drove an old Vette coupe to school, its was a project car, primer etc. there were plenty of rich kids with brand new Muscle cars that were cool, they got no respect from us, (the motorhead crowd) it was the do it yourself guys that had the coolest cars, mostly Mustangs, Chevells, Novas & Cameros, this was the '70's

8. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

It was 1972 and I was a Senior at Central High School in La Crosse, Wisconsin. There were a fair amount of cool cars, basically two groups, those driven by us gearheads, which included a jeep with a nailhead, an A pickup with a hot 289, and a Fairlane with a swapped in 390 to name a few. Then there were the cars driven by the affluent kids, the new Z-28, Olds 442, etc., cool cars for sure, but they never really "counted".
    This was my car, a '60 Vette, 283 T-10 4spd and 411 gears. Man, I loved that car, but with just a drafty soft top it was a bitch trying to keep warm while delivering pizzas in a below zero Wi winter:(

Wish I still had her though;)

Attached Files:

9. The coolest car in school?Well, it surely wasn't me.I graduated in 1966 so there were lots of cool cars in high school.Two that stand out to me are the guy with the 29 DeSoto 3 window coupe (thats what he said it was) with an Edsel engine in it.Or the 34 Ford pickup with a smallblock with crossram intake sticking out the sides.Almost everyone that drove to my school had a hot rodded car of some sort,my hometown was car crazy back then.

10. IMO- it was me! 1964 Fairlane Sport coupe w/ a 260 and 3 spd on the floor. It was the late 80's and all anyone cared about were musclecars and tri-5 chevies.

11. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

Being a graduate of '93, Me and a couple guys I guess had the kool cars of the school. While everyone was jumping on the Vanilla Ice mustang 5.0 band wagon, we ran the following.

1969 Mercury Cyclone (mine)
    1966 Mustang Fastback
    1969 Dodge Charger

12. yngrodder

yngrodder

[​IMG]

Built with my dad when I was 15 drove all through High School.

13. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

In 1955 I was 15 and bought a 49 Dodge wayfare businessman convertibl, had slip in plexaglass windows and no rear seat. I started by cutting the window down to 12 inches, a carson top, got rid of the flusfamatic. Shaved the head, split intake duel 97's, split exaust straight pipes. lowered it. At the envocation for the class, the speakers whole talk was about why some one would do that to a car. Sorry for the pictures, the drawing is my original. The pictures,I got from the guy who bought it from me after I left for school.

forgot to say that this was in Merced CA, use to run to Fresno to Stans Drive in

Attached Files:

• cars.jpg
      cars.jpg
      File size:
      238.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  14. Graduated in '68
    never had the coolest looking car in school, or the nicest, or could I keep up with the guys that had daddy buy them the latest muscle car BUT I was nearly always the fastest!!!! Auto Shop nerd that spent all my $$$ under the hood, not on the exterior. My stuff looked like a s*** box, but ran like a raped ape

15. freebird101

freebird101

this is a good thread...soon (3 years to be exact) I will be the coolest kid in school, while every one is driving pre-owned Honda Civic's I will be crusin' in my '63 Mercury Comet:D

16. t5stang91

t5stang91

had the fastest car for my grade (some of the older guys i hung with had some nice shit, once they were out i was king of school) in school but wasn't voted the best cuz i didn't have mommy and daddys money to buy me a new vehicle. but i did get chased alot for doin burnouts lol. miss that car 71 pontiac ventura with a nicely built smallblock on the nitrous

17. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I was pretty stocked when I got my senior year(2000) book and found a picture of my 49 Fleetline with the "coolest car" caption above it.

Attached Files:

18. Hip

Hip

Didn't have a car on the road yet, (still puttin it together in my driveway), but i was the only one in school that pulled up on a Harley every morn. Well, if you want to call it a Harley. It was a 69' AMF alright, but it was missing a cylinder, because it was a 350 SS Sprint, (one lunger). I painted it for a buddy of mines Bro-in-law,Metalflake royal blue) in 76'. He was in the Airforce and i asked him if he ever considered getting rid of it give me first shot at it. Well he got overseas orders to Italy and decided to sell it to me. $600.00 I felt bad cause he only got to ride it for 3 months with the new paint. I can't find any other pics of it though i know i still have some. I used to ride way out into the desert to collect my thoughts, and write love letters to my girl friend. :eek: (to much info?)
    [​IMG]

19. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

hay SWI66
    The 64 T bird was my second car it high school. when ever the 35 was broke I would drive the T-bird. The car was fast as hell for there size. I use to love the look on there faces when you beat them with that car. Fold away steering column and a airplane looking dash and center console. That was one great car. My brother ended up totaling it when he was in high school.

20. apound

apound

As it was the late 70s the parking lot had a few new Trans Ams and Z-28s the rich kids parents bought them.
    I had a 1968 Camaro, 8-track, wedge speakers, air shocks, slapper bars, N50 15s on the rear. I wonder why I couldn't keep a worn out powerglide in that car?
    Paid $1400.00 for it. Pumped gas, changed oil, and fixed flats at the local Gulf station to make the payments. Still have it.

21. I don't know which was the "coolest" car but there was one prick that had a '55 chebbie that was very nice/fast but Daddy bought it and had all the work done by someone else. There was also the cheerleader with the Model A totally stock that was pretty cool. As for My group of friends, my buddy Craig had a '68 convertable Corvette with an LT-1 four speed and O/D that was a fun car. I remember racing Johns Camero in it right in front of the school during lunch, got in big trouble for that one. 1980 Good times! :D Just for the record, I'm older now and have very little interest in Corvettes although a '58 might be cool.

22. ripp

ripp
    from Howell mi

In highschool I had a 1956 chevy ,a 1967 chevelle ss,and then a 1957 chevy this was in the late 80's

23. billygoat67

billygoat67

i had a 1968 pontiac gto, ohh the memories. was a sleeper smoked all the built cars. what a great ride, wish i had it back.

24. S.F.

S.F.

Thats HOT!

25. Tank

Tank

I graduated in 2003. Not so long ago. Bought my 53 Merc in 2001, so I drove it to high school quite a bit. My good frind had a 59 Chevy at that time too. We always parked together in the lot. In my mind we had the coolest cars in school. At least the only ones I was interested in.

26. mopar65

mopar65

i graduated in'75 bought my 1st car at 16 a coronet 500 with a 383,then a '68 formula s 340 cuda,next a 67 coronet r/t that was a real hemi car sorry to say the hemi was blown with a 383 replacement.sure wish that car was still in my garage.next a '70 340 challenger all before i graduated high school.still kick myself for not at least keeping one of them www.gas-alley.com

27. knuckledragger66

knuckledragger66
    from Hutto,Tx

I definitely had a couple of the coolest cars at school.[or so I thought]My first car was a 69 camaro ,355,350 auto in primer.Got busted for burnouts in the highschool parking lot and was grounded from it.[I was 15]Mom and dad came home one day and asked where the camaro was.I sold it because I could not drive it.I worked at my dads heavy truck shop and paid for every bit of it.I told them if I couldn't drive it then Why not sell it.They were pissed.I bought a 65 c10 shortbox and built a hot 355 for it .At the same time I was driving a gasser style straight axle 55 with a lt1 350 and a rock crusher 4 spd.Definitely the most radical car in the school lot.Had several more,76 TA with an overcammed 400,4spd 76 formula,58 chevy truck,.See a trend?I graduated in 84.

28. EV34

EV34

i graduated last year and was voted best car at school.... but i dont guess its every day you see a 34 ford pickup sitting in a high school parking lot...

29. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

When I was in elementary school in Ohio (in the 1960s), one of the high school age kids drove a 'maroon '61 or '62 Corvette!

30. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Still looks the same today on the outside, me and dad started working on this together when I was 13-15 years old. I've put about 70,000+ miles on it since. I drove it to school ('83-'85) about 50% of the time, the other 50% I rode with friends or the bus. Drove it to school a lot more my senior year. I try not to drive it in the rain as much these days.

Attached Files: