Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bakelite repair, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddon, Dec 4, 2009.

1. I have some Bakelite Garnish moldings that have cracked. Does anyone know of a way to repair Bakelite material?
    Fiberglas resins do NOT work

2. Jb weld it. I dont think there is anything you can't fix with that stuff.

3. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

i use jb weld for all that kind of stuff it works great , its the best thing for steering wheels too and it lasts

4. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

ive repaired alot of cracked steering wheels useing 3m panel bonding glue. we use this stuff at work to bond doorskins and bedsides on all the newer vehicles. has worked great for me on different types of plastics. it also expands and contracts from temperture changes

5. Kool30Hudson

Kool30Hudson

I have used JB Weld on all on my repairs and looks good

6. There are some early plastics that dont lend themselves to repair even with todays plastic repair materials. Especially many early steering wheels. The cracks that may reappear after a repair are not from the new adhesive breaking down but the old plastic continuing to breakdown. One of the people that recast old steering wheels gave me a detailed explanation when I inquired about repairing an old bakelite covered steering wheel. It appears these old plastics are extremely susceptible to UV penetration and temperature change.

7. Thanks for the suggestion of JB weld. I cut some grooves on the back side of the garnish moldings and laid 3 pieces of welding rod in the grooves for strength. I then mixed up the JB weld and put some on the surface of the two pieces and clamped them together. More JB Weld on the back side over the welding rod and let it set up.
    Seems to have worked well. Feels very strong and everything fits back together perfectly.

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

I have a steering wheel thats been flattened a bit out of shape...I'd like to know whats likely to be the best way to get it back into shape.

I've thought of pushing it back with a jack but would I need to warm the bakelite up first (ie by heating the wheel in the oven for a while) or will it straighten successfully cold?
    Sorry I don't have a pic but can get one if needed. Any help appreciated

9. Bakelite is a thermo setting resin. Once it cools, it is set and reheating it will not soften it

10. indyjps

indyjps

11. Yeah, if you back it up with something it winds up being way stronger.

Bob

12. Uh Yeah - That was 3 years ago, and they are staying together fine so far.