Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods b-ville styled model A coupes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51Hg, Nov 30, 2009.

1. 51Hg

51Hg

I've seen 32 fords and 34's, but wondering if there are any model "A" b-ville coupes? New or from back in the day. post your pics!
    Something along the lines of this:

Attached Files:

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

I head that some guy named Kevin was workin on one.....

Rich

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anybody know what those wheels are on the back of that car? I likey.

4. 51Hg ('51Mercury) ... what do you mean by "b-ville styled"? ... are you looking for pics of Model A Coupe Bonneville Race Cars (like the pics you attached) ... or of Model A Coupe Hot Rods (street cars) that have a Bonneville/Dry Lakes "flavor" to them? ... or both?

5. 51Hg

51Hg

I'm talking about actual Bonneville race cars first. Then maybe heavily inspired second.

6. Blackie

Blackie

Ummm, Chrisman Coupe?

7. I took these pics at speedweek 09
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Yep ... that was my first thought too! :D

Here some pics of it in the '50s:
    ChrismanCoupe-1954byJREyerman.jpg
    HRM Feb '54 Cover.jpg Chrisman Coupe - Eric Rickman photo.jpg
    Art Chrisman's Chopped Coupe.jpg Art and Lloyd Chrisman Coupe.jpg

... @ the 2001 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance:
    Chrisman Coupe @ Pebble Beach (3-4 front).jpg Chrisman Coupe @ Pebble Beach (3-4 rear).jpg
    Chrisman Coupe @ Pebble Beach (interior).jpg Chrisman Coupe @ Pebble Beach (trunk).jpg

... from the June 2008 RM "Joe's Garage - The MacPherson Collection" Auction:
    chrisman bonneville coupe - auction 1.jpg chrisman bonneville coupe - auction 5.jpg chrisman bonneville coupe - auction 2.jpg
    chrisman bonneville coupe - auction 4.jpg chrisman bonneville coupe - auction 8.jpg chrisman bonneville coupe - auction 6.jpg

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

10. 51Hg

51Hg

Hemi,
    thanks for the pics. right click save....right click save....right click save....

11. 51Hg

51Hg

kevins coupe:

Attached Files:

12. 51Hg

51Hg

lucky burton's project, can't wait to see this one one the salt:

Attached Files:

13. 51Hg ... my pleasure ... and I'm glad you found & posted those pics of Kevin Lee & Lucky Burton's coupes ... both cars are gonna be bitchin' !!!!

14. 51Hg

51Hg

So I take it that there aren't that many 28-31 bonnieville race cars from back in the day or now?

15. 51Hg ... That's pretty much the conclusion I came to.

Last night, I went through all of my Bonneville photo albums & programs from the '60s, '70s, '80s, & '90s ... tons of '28-'29 (& a few '30-'31) Roadsters ... but I found zero pics of Model A closed cars (Coupes or Sedans) running on the Salt.

As for Bonneville in the '50s ... with the exception of the Chrisman Coupe, the only other Bonneville Model A "Coupe" that comes to (my) mind is the famous Tom Cobbs '29 Roadster with a hand-fabricated removable top (so he could run in the Coupe class):

Tom Cobbs Roadster with Removable Top.jpg Cobbs 'Coupe' @ Bonneville 1951.jpg Bonneville 1951 Circle Of Champions.jpg

Hopefully someone will chime in here and prove me wrong ... but I don't think there were many Model A Coupes run "back in the day" at Bonneville.

PS: Are you contemplating building a '28-'31 coupe to run at B'ville? ... if so, which class ... Vintage Gas Coupe, Vintage Altered Coupe, Vintage Competition Coupe, or Modified Competition Coupe?

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

How about a video of the first one you posted? :D

Sounds mean!

[​IMG]

Malcolm

17. 51Hg

51Hg

Hemi,

Yea I attented the salt for the first time this year during speed week. took my father because he was the one that got me into old cars. Couldn't see going there with anyone else.

Caught the bug...came home and got a hot little smallblock. Going to built a b-ville inspired model A. 51 weeks out of the year going to scare old ladies on the street. For one week race the salt.

Going to start out racing the USFRA, try for the 130mph club and 150mph club to get my feet wet. Then build for SCTA?

That's the plan anyway.....looking for inspiration.

18. 51Hg

51Hg

Malcolm,

Met you on the salt, thanks for the vid. Maybe see you there next year.