Register now to get rid of these ads!

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE Silhouette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sparky69, Dec 2, 2009.

1. sparky69

sparky69

Attached Files:

2. I just bought that model the other day from AMT

3. cool vid and history lesson. thanks.

4. Yeah, it's been posted before, but it's been a few years I think. Cool!

5. Rooney00

Rooney00

I built that model when I was a wee lad.

6. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

did the model have a trailer with a bubbletop too ,i remember the chrome badge inserts that went on the side with the name on on them ,i had to ask dad what silhouette meant ,i even understood the explanation ,i was only about 8 though,

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I bought the model off of ebay a few month's ago and restored it .So I remember the car.

8. sparky69

sparky69

is that a new model kit that is still avalible? I want one!

9. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

2nd coolest custom ever built, next to the Lil Coffin - both built by Wichita guys.
    I built the model when I was a kid, and had the Hot Wheels.

10. Rooney00

Rooney00

Yes it did

11. 62rebel

62rebel

the model has the later 427 Ford engine, not the original Buick; it is VERY fussy to build, as the body encloses the frame. it has two sets of wheels, one set of what appear to be Ansen Sprints and a set of Buick wire wheels. definitely an acquired taste for a model; i actually never completed one of them, used them for donor kits. still have a trailer missing it's wheels if anybody wants it.

12. Bill Cushenbery was the builder, and he and Dean Jefferies Manta Ray, were the coolest cars on the circuit.

13. finovette

finovette

Yes. I definitely remember the Silhouette Custom Car and the model kit that it inspired. I don't remember having the original kit way back then but I bought an original issue kit on Ebay a few years ago.

The Silhouette and the El Matador were probably Bill Cushenberys' two most famous and most photograped creations. I read that George Barris sub contracted some of the work on the 1966 Batmobile to Cushenberys' shop in order to meet the T.V. production deadline.

I had also read in one of the car magazines that the Silhouette was stolen and never recovered . I would like to know if any H.A.M.B. members have any information on this old custom ?

14. racemad55

racemad55

Hated it then,hate it now,never wanted the model also.

15. slammed

slammed

Digging the video. The Hot Wheels Redline version brings good money.

16. my pops had one of the o.g. models of it that he built back in the day...when I discovered it when I was a kid, I made sure that he told me all about it and Cushenbery....still think its a cool custom

17. Yes x 2.... Built it as a kid also...destroyed in an car accident when I was sleeping in the back seat as a kid and the old man t-boned a guy, sending me onto the floor and crushing the trailer and the car inside! I wasnt a happy lad to say the least!

18. aircap

aircap

Amen! Preach it, brother!

19. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i had no idea this was a real car. me and my brother built this model in 65 or 66. it had a trailer as i remember. lloyed bridges, what a class act. a great actor who never made a fool of himself. that was fun to watch.