Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need painting advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigLon, Dec 2, 2009.

1. BigLon

BigLon
    from Vidor, TX

Need some advice from you guys.
    I'm painting my 1972 SS El Camino with the stock cream yellow color,
    and i'm using Nason Acrylic Enamel single stage paint with the hardner.
    I need to paint the wide factory racing stripes on the hood in a black matte satin enamel, but the paint store says they don't make that color in the single stage, and that it has to be clear coated. This doesn't sound right, does anyone know where I can find what I am looking for?:confused:

2. strawberry

strawberry

a lot of that stuff was decals back when, but you can use a gm factory frame finish comes in qts or gals, satin finish, I got mine at a dealership, works pretty good, but really any good paint store can use a flattening agent mixed in to get the desired gloss you want .

3. blt2go

blt2go

i use martin-senour paints from napa with good results. i will get you the number for their semi-gloss black single stage paint after lunch. this is a urethane paint and you will need to verify cure times for recoat of your paint before using this to stripe.

4. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

Try to stay with the same paint (your case Nason). If you are shooting in a higher temp, try getting a catalyst that is mean for colder weather (aka faster hardner and reducer, something like a 3812s) But double check with your paint rep to make sure there won't be any chemical reactions. With this single stage, the faster it dries the less shine it will have. However the way it lays..is the way it's gonna stay. So try your hardest to keep all the dirt nibs out of there.

I painted mustang long ago with Centari single stage and used a fast hardner on it for a matte finish and came out looking great.

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

See if they have a flattner additive to add to a gloss black, it's just powder suspended in a liquid. I know the old days, they used to stir talcum powder into the paint to flatten the finish.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Any enamel will work .I taped mine off and shot,Its not that hard ,You need 1/4 inch fine line tape ........ Just take your time laying them out .I went from pictures from classic industries .Did my elcamino and my truck......

7. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the link to PPG's flattening agent. Click on the TECH INFO (pdf) to see the mix ratios for the level of gloss you want. Your jobber should be able to add it to your regular gloss black acrylic enamel. Dupont/Nason should have their own product. Flattening agents are all pretty much universal and rather than buying a quart, if your jobber won't mix it in, you could probably find a local body shop that would sell you enough to flatten a quart of black. Remember to mix (shake) it real good and double or triple strain it before spraying it. The black will dry faster with the flattening agent in the mix. I usually use a fast reducer (unless it's real hot) and over reduce slightly so it lays down smoothe. Remember, you still should add a hardner to the flattened paint. Make sure your body color has cured fully so it won't lift or wrinkle, before you spray the flat black on top.

https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProdu...roductID=a34729b6-48e0-49c5-bf91-1b60f4d9d22c

overspray

8. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Be careful on what you lay on top of the enamel. If you gonna put enamel stripes on the enamel paint you WILL have a thick tape line that WILL be felt. You mite want to re-think the job and go with a base coat/clear coat, paint it, stripe it, clear it, DONE

9. The fastest reducer and no hardener will make it almost flat, hardener is basically a clear...

I wouldn't try to put a urethane over an enamel.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not sure why they can't mix it up for you. I did a Mustang undercarriage and engine compartment in flat black. I called all the Mustang places I could find to get a line on proper paint/sheen and all I got in return was to use Krylon spray cans.

no thanks. did this car on a rotissierie. all bare metal. no spray cans. so I sprayed a piece of metal with the Krylon and had the local paint store scan it and mix me up some single stage.

might look at Eastwood they have some restoration paints available, or try some of the Chevy muscle car sites sites.

one more thing in case you don't know but you can get stencil sets to lay out the stripes just like original.

11. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

just go to your local sherwin williams store and buy some satin black enamel.they sell it buy the quart.if you want it to dry faster just put a little hardener in it.if not they do sell satin clear.

12. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

the only problem is that the two differnt paints may cause a reaction. so if you go this route make sure you have some test panels to try it on.

I've used Rustoleum mixed with centari catalyst and mid temp reducer and didn't have any probems, and it lasted a quite a few years before it started to be affected by the sun and look chalked up.

13. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i agree.the lower grade paint wont last as long.what i always said was use cheep paint and spend you money on some good clear.

14. BigLon

BigLon
    from Vidor, TX

I really 'preciate all the great replys.
    There are some sharp guys on this message board.
    I knew y'all wouldn't let me down.