Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stock 1947 Ford King Pin OD...??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintfumesmahgee, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Maybe a stupid question but... Are they the same size as earlier Fords? Say 41'?

Reason I ask is, I have a drop axle (Magnum) that I put under my car. Everything was good until I went to put the king pins in. King pins are to big. Should I just ream the axle out or did someone forget to do it at the shop where it was made?
    Thanks

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

.8125 for all '28-48 passenger.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The kingpins are the same OD, .8125", for 1928-48 Ford Passenger cars and 28-52 Ford Pickups. There are varying lengths, hollow and solid, and various head styles during this time.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If the pin bores are much smaller the axle is probably for Econoline spindles or 49-54 Chevy spindles rather than early Ford spindles.

5. Just measured my king pins and they read .821
    So I'm thinking someone along the lines put an over sized king pin in it. I read a few other threads and it looks like a few companies offer them. I need to measure the ID of the axle when I get home tonight, and probably order a king pin kit and put new bushings in the spindles.
    Thanks for the help!

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The .821 doesn't match any of the truck or Lincoln sizes...do not have numbers for any non Ford stuff. Assuming spindles are normal Ford, a pin kit should get things together.

7. Yeah, everything is stock. Axle(non-drop), spindles, brakes... but I guess not the king pins. So I'm thinking the kit will get me on the right track!
    Thanks guys