Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have an electrical problem HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Musser, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Joe Musser

Joe Musser
    from Altoona PA

I got talked into driving my Model A in the christmas parade and when I went to get it out the headlights wont work. I invistigated and the bulbs were burned out, got to looking further and so were the tailights. I Put in all new bulbs and when I was backing out of the garage the lights blinked then blew out again. Any clues? a buddy of mine says I have a bad ground but I cant see how that would blow all the bulbs. The car is still 6 volt positive ground and I am running an 8 volt battery but I have been for years without any trouble. I am lost here and out of headlight bulbs.

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Bad ground, possible from batt to frame, gen frame to motor, motor to frame, even in the generator cut-out. When it 'gets better' momentarily, the resulting voltage surge burns out the bulbs.

3. squirrel

squirrel

open circuit in part of the wiring, perhaps where the cutout connects to the main power feed that ties to the battery. Check the whole circuit that connects the generator thru the ammeter to the battery. make sure it's not running thru the ignition switch, the switch should only switch on the ignition (if it's been modified) or short out the points (if it's stock)

The problem is that the battery is momentarily not connected to the generator, so the voltage runs way up high, and pops the bulbs.

btdt

4. Joe Musser

Joe Musser
    from Altoona PA

5. squirrel

squirrel

There must be an easier answer, eh?

6. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Running 9 volts(or more) through your lights designed for 7 will blow them out. You are obviously running an alternator as a genny cannot charge a 8volt battery. I suspect your voltage regulator has went out. What voltage are you seeing with engine running at fast idle?

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

Concure with shinysideup. Check voltage of your system.

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Had a '66 goat that would light up the night sky like lightning when both headlights would blow. Turned out to be the voltage regulator.....................

9. Dokaddex73

Dokaddex73

I have 25 posts but still cant pm or view profiles. Any admins that can help with this? Very much appreciated.Thanks

10. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Bad ground caused this on a few vehicles I have owned. Make sure you have good grounds from battery to motor, motor to frame, and frame to body. I usually add an extra ground from the battery to the frame.

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Absolutely incorrect.

12. squirrel

squirrel

a model A generator will put out 24 volts

13. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Check your voltage to all the usual things and clean your grounds while you are at it.....Squirrel has ya covered....

14. Joe Musser

Joe Musser
    from Altoona PA

I am still using the 6 volt gen with just a reverse current cutout, there is no voltage regulator, and I have not really cranked up the amps, in fact i lowered them a bit recently when we took the car on a long trip.

15. Joe Musser

Joe Musser
    from Altoona PA

that would be a great idea I have thought of hooking up a voltage regulator under the floor boards but not really sure how

16. jetmek

jetmek

yeah bad grnd or open somewhere between the gen and the bat will cause high voltage condition on model a's the 3rd brush controls amp output but has nothing to do with voltage the battery acts as the voltage regulator on those systems. so you can charge an 8v bat with a 6v gen