Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neatest old car you got for FREE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldebob, Jan 18, 2009.

1. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

I was given a 28 Model A chassis with cowl and body subframe attched...a truckized 31 coupe and a 31 tudor sedan. All for free because my cousin Kenny didn't want someone smoking out in back of the little barn and possibly setting fire to it. I had bought a 30 coupe from him 5 years earlier for $25. (1973) you can't beat that deal. Aafter I built the 28 chassis into a custom woodie station wagon (1999) I wanted to send him a foto of the finished car but he had passed away at age 60. Cousin Kenny was a great guy a 2nd class petty officer in the USN (Aviation Machinist's Mate) and an A-Bone gear head. Needless to say these cars were junkers and pretty well stripped down by then. Here's to you Cousin Kenny, may you rest in peace.

2. I inherited this from my dad. A very expensive free car.

[​IMG]

3. bluestang67

bluestang67

1948 Chevy Business Coupe in 1981 clean and from KY.

4. Alfster

Alfster

I got given a '52 Packard Limo a few years back by a mate leaving the country. Neat car. All complete, straight and rust free. The engine was shot. I kept it for a while but got pestered all the time by another friend who wanted it. I already had two projects so I swapped it to him for some goldfish for the garden pond............ ha ha ha

5. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Hmm let's see...

1960 F100 short bed, small window, 223, 4spd
    1936 Chevy Master 2dr Slantback Sedan (sold it)
    1936 Chevy Master 2dr Humpback Sedan (for sale)
    1938 Chevy Master 4dr Sedan (for sale)
    1935 Chevy Master 4dr Sedan (for sale)
    1938 Pontiac 2dr Humpback Sedan (for sale)
    1947 Plymouth 4dr Sedan (for sale, or parts)
    1929 Pontiac 2dr Sedan
    x2 1926 Willy's Whippet 2dr Sedans
    1918-22 Dodge Bro's frame

Plus 8 OLD Farmall tractors, and 10 old 2cyl John Deere tractors...

2 303 Olds Rockets
    1 394 Olds Rocket
    1 248 Buick Straight 8

Tons of car and tractor parts... actual tons.

An entire black smith shop filled up half way to the walls with black smith tools, an anvil, a forge, a hit n' miss engine and all the line shafting, hand crank drill press, black smith vices, hand crank grinders, sit down pedal grinders, and quite a few other assorted antique tools..

Red Wing crocks, antique furniture, and not to mention all the hub caps, hood ornaments, antiques, and 30's-60's Popular mechanics magazines I kept...

All on one farm... I've got tons of pictures too...

Sad part was quite a few cars were stolen or crushed before we could get a chance to save them...

I think the ol' farm has to be my favorite place on the face of the earth... The family never threw anything away... And everything has a story, and if you've got enough time the ol' boy who ones the farm will tell you 'em all..

6. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Here are my two freebies

Attached Files:

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

The neatest old car I got for free was 20 years ago .It was a 72 chevelle .Took me 2 years to do the bodywork and then I crashed it 3 months after that.Then I built the black one , Used most of the parts,,,Not that old by today;s standards

8. Vwguy

Vwguy
    from MN

Only free car I ever got is a '74 vw super beetle. No engine, tranny or doors. Hopefully I'll score good someday

9. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

My senior year in high school a guy my Mom worked with gave me a '59 Galaxie - said it kept overheating. Had a pinhole in a freeze plug behind the right motor mount. I scrubbed it clean with alcohol and a toothbrush, then used plumbers epoxy to seal the hole. Drove the piss out of it for several years before selling it to a guy who was restoring his '59. Mine was clean enough he just restored it instead and used his for parts.

10. 47chev truck
    54 nash
    64 rambler

free cars are the best cars!

11. russ1403

russ1403

got my 50 chevy wagon 13 years ago,,it was minus a motor and trans and a few other things,plus it was a "basket case" but the price was rite:). it did come with original 47/50 plates,skirts,a spotlight,bumper "tips",the third seat,and the original dealer badge from park slope chevrolet brooklyn ny.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      495 KB
      Views:
  12. I have got at least a hundred cars for hauling them off. The best ones i got from my father in law.30 years ago he had a wrecker service at Conway Ark.. He was paid to tow some cars away from a mechanic shop that the bank repossed. One was a 55 ford 2 dr wagon. We where visiting at Thanksgiving and I was looking at it. At the time i had 2 56 victoria 2 dr htps and 56 2 dr sedan. Anyway my wifes older brother sees me looking at the wagon. He gets real smart tells me that it is his car dont be messing with it that he going to take it back to Rockford Ill. He went home the early the next day. Immediately after he left my father in law tells me to go get his tow bar and take the wagon home. Still have it and it still is a sore spot with the wifes brother. Also a year before he died of cancer My wifes dad gave her his 66 chev C20 that he bought new in december of 65. 292 four speed 456 gears. She drove it daily until gas got so high.

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

14. Pigiron

Pigiron

My wife gave me this for Christmas 5 years ago.

Attached Files:

15. Dave K

Dave K

My boss gave me this 1959 Fleetside. He is a great boss!!!!

Attached Files:

16. I got my Rambler from my grandfather for nothing back in 1986, but of course, I still had to say I paid something for it when I went to transfer it into my name. The government has to get their pint of blood too. :rolleyes:

How it looked then...

[​IMG]

And how it looks now...

[​IMG]

17. Willard Partch

Willard Partch

Here are some pictures of my 1956 GMC. Their version of the Chevy Cameo.

Attached Files:

18. motorhead711

motorhead711

1965 plymouth fury III. Gone now though.

19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

A few years back I managed to get a 48 Crosley in trade for moving a piano. The piano was heavier and much more work to load up, and unload in the persons house. Crosley I and a friend jacked the front end up, backed the trailer under and then lifted the rear while my dad backed the trailer the rest of the way in.

Ended up getting rid of it, always wanted to build a little flathead powered altered out of it.

Or even do the dreaded and drop a Geo front end into it and have a front wheel drive beater (I realize that the last statement will cause me grief here, but it would have been cool)

20. I bought a 66 TR4A for 400 bucks, then sold the engine to a guy for his Morgan for 400, so the TR was free. Then I put a 455 buick in it and took it 3/4 finished to a british sports car picnic and nearly got lynched. You'd think I had pissed on the queens foot or something.

21. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres one I was given not too long ago. I am the new car taker. Plans are just to get it running and drive the shit out of it.

smaller olds.jpg

DSC01723.JPG

22. canadianzed

canadianzed

A few of the free deals from the old days.
    1959 Ford Meteor - from my parents neighbour (he paid me $$ to move it)- free
    1956 Ford Customline - from my grandfather - free
    1947 Studebaker M5 - from a local farmer (you move it) - free
    1962 Lark - from the amc dealership (get it outa here!!) - free
    1966 chevy panel van (V8) - from electrical contractor - free
    they were all eventually roadworthy and sold for a tidy profit.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  23. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

I got a one owner '65 Corvette Coupe in High School (1984). Free !! Still got it !! Thanks Pop. He (they) got it as a wedding present from her old man. SOoooo- 2 people got the same car free !!!

24. rschilp

rschilp

How about the neatest old car you ever gave away for FREE!

Just gave away a 1947 Packard Clipper...to... wait for it, wait for it.. the manager of my local autozone!

I don't have a use for it and no-one seems to want it on here, I had it for sale for $500 obo for months and no responses.. so now someone has a great start to a project. He plans to part it out, keep the engine, trans and maybe frame and build it into a hotrod using the money he made from the parts to buy another body.

25. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

I got this for free Nov 2007. Not much to look at, but ya gotta start somewhere. Took it to the 09' Hamb drags.
    [​IMG]

26. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Let's see the "after"pics !!

27. hmmm
    1955 pontaic tudoor wagon .not safari but had a 65 shrtbox ford p/u and a old speed boat ..had to with it
    1958 buick limited tudoor not free $ 88.00 the cost ofa quick tow out of peoples garage "right now!"

wish i had them still....

28. bob myers

bob myers

Back in the mid 70`s there was a 55 nomad, gasser style, straight axle, parked beside a gas station in Fayettevile nc. The body was pretty beat up, rusty, trans missing, but it had a sbc fender well headers and an olds rear with large ladder bars. It was parked some time when I decided to ask about it. Turns out the owner left it there for trans repair, on his way to Fla., and never returned. I asked about buying it and they directed me to where they thought the dude`s sister lived. I tracked her down and damn, she said I could have the pos.
    I got the car home and after really checking it out decided it was too rusty to mess with. Now keep in mind the car was only 20 years old and there were still plenty on Nomads at reasonabe prices back then. I took the engine and gave the car to a buddy. Don`t know where it went after that.
    Years later I gave the same buddy what I thought was a clapped out 348. He got to cleaning the caked on grease from a valve cover. Under the crap was chrome so he checked the numbers and it turned out to be a 340 horse 409....oh well.

29. I got a 1961 Buick Electra 225 convertible for free. I tried to offer him something for it but he refused. It was stored in a barn, top was in usable condition, engine and trans had been removed and reinstalled without putting the driveshaft back in the trans. Was going to flat tow it but couldn't because of that. It had and interior full of sheets of styrofoam. Also it had a crunched left front fender. It so happened that my wife was going to California to visit a friend. I asked her to call junk yards to look for a fender. She found one for $35, bought some packaging material and checked it through baggage for no extra charge for the flight home. Bought a 4dr parts car for $300 and drove it home from the twin cities area. I wish I would have kept it.

30. Oh, forgot to say this was in the early 90's