Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick Release Steering Adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoBrow, Dec 1, 2009.

1. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Is there a decent quick release steering adapter out there? Ive checked a few sprint car supply places and have come across a few different options...but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a nice tight assembly. Ive used the Speedway ones and they have a lot of slop between the hex and the release hub. Id like something that doesnt move all over the place....

Also are most assemblys made for the 1" hex??

Thanks

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

3. rooman

rooman

Strange Engineering and Mark Williams Enterprises also have multi spline units that are nowhere near as sloppy as the hex stuff. They also release with a sliding collar rather than a pin so there is nothing to lose or drop.

www.markwilliams.com

www.strangeengineering.net

Roo

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

5. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have found that most of the slop is between the pin and the hub, so I weld a washer on the shaft below the quick release hub, and then I use thin pinion setup shims between the washer and the quick release to take up the slop.

6. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

For the Speedway unit, try installing a spring between the release hub and the steering column. It'll put tension on the hub to keep it firmly in place. Works for me.

7. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Thanks. I thought about trying the splined assemblys. Seems the splines would have less slop than the hex for sure...

I may try the washed and shim idea on my Speedway setup to see how that feels, buit as fars as putting a spring between the hub and the column, I cant becasue Im running cowl steering and I dont have a "column"

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the splined one with the pull ring instead of the pin. Looks a little cleaner and it's easy to locate the steering wheel where you need it. Was pretty much the same price as the hex type, as well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/REB-270-8630/

I used EZBake oven cleaner to strip the anodized finish off.

[​IMG]

9. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

To remove yours, Scootermcrad, do you pull up on a ring behind the release hub?? How does this one sit, meaning is there any slop within it?? Thanks

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! I just put my thumbs in the middle of the steering wheel and pull up the ring up (towards me) and the wheel can then be slid right off. There is ZERO radial slop in the steering wheel!

OH! And the spline has to be welded to the shaft. No biggie though.

11. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Perfect! Im gonna go with the one mentioned....Thanks

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a tip about these things... When you're setting it in place to tack the spline to the steering shaft, make sure the steering wheel is on and set all the way down against the end of the shaft or you will have some end play (front to back). It needs something to sit up against when the locking balls (for lack of a better term) grab their seating groove. I didn't do this. I have to take up the gap with a rubber stopper or something. :eek: