Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why don't you see 2dr hardtop gassers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Nov 30, 2009.

1. I have seen a few in old pictures. And my friend and I were arguing if a hardtop looks stupid as a gasser or not.

So why don't you see many?

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd guess its 'cause they were costlier and flexed more without the posts.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sedans were a few pounds lighter and certainly cheaper, more plentiful and better suited to racing for the afore mentioned characteristics.

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

the few i saw were all restored back to originals..they were worth more that way.

5. Any have any photos of hardtop gassers?

I guess I can see the price and weight being an issue.

6. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

7. Funny thing is that a Plymouth 2dr hardtop aint worth much restored. I've see 6 for sale all sold for around 11k

8. squirrel

squirrel

hardtops sit too low in front to be "gassers"

[​IMG]

9. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

forgive me for being one dimensional on that post..i had chevy in my head.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Squirrel...lmao. Go to the dragcars in motion thread, tons of them. :D

11. Hah..As a Plymouth owner it is something I have come to accept. :D

I have been looking at my Plymouth for weeks....and well. I really feel like loud and fast....rather then low and slow.

12. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

hardtops are for cruisers! race the posts. haha, just kidding they're all good either way.

14. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

The conventional wisdom was they weigh a bit more than a sedan, I don't know if in fact that is true.

15. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

here's one

Attached Files:

16. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

17. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

18. Usually sedans; 150's & 210's, were "cheaper" cars and less desireable. Used for utility company cars, etc. They could be bought cheap on the used car market, where Bel Air hardtops for example were more classy and often better cared for and folks held on to them.

19. Anyone else have pictures? This is beginning to make me wonder if the 50+\- pounds between a Plymouth 2dr post & hardtop really matters all that much. Besides Sbc and Hemi's what else did guys run in gassers?

20. Stumpuller

Stumpuller

gasser huh? i didnt know anyone was still interested in those things:D

21. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

they are one of the bigest new things out there.esp.the old origanal ones.i dont know one car person who doesnt like the looks and sound of an original gasser!!

22. nutajunka

nutajunka

Like meationed above the post's were a stiffer body, hardtops cost more, even rust buckets, butt I guess in the end if anyone eat's enough beans they can be a gasser..........:D

23. Weight.

24. In the case of your Plymouth, why not a 413?
    Get your hands on one of those monster cross-rams from the Ramcharger's days.

25. Larry T

Larry T

Hardtop Gassers????????? PFFFT, yea right. Maybe when they start drag racing indoors.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

26. You are a funny man!

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

In the early 60s, Oldsmobile's were very popular. Especially the blown classes. They had a reputation of a very strong bottom end and stood up to the pounding.

There are exceptions to every rule but the post cars were not as desirable back then until........they started to show up in the gas classes and then the gasser look on the street made them very desirable. They were lighter and we made them lighter still by removing the window mechanism and making plexiglass windows. Try that with a hardtop. I'm one that loves the el cheapo 2dr post look that became popular because of the gassers that we saw every Sat. night at the track. In the early 60s, if you had a choice for a daily driver most guys wanted a hard top. It was mandatory to cruise with all the windows down until it got just too damn cold. The post were cheaper and more plentiful.

28. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i was gonna post this on the thread about gassers without straight axles but... built in the 60s. my friend took these pictures today. it has racing history in my town. its for sale too(not mine)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

if thats the same orange krate im thinging of my boss know the guy that built it and use to race it, if it is, is was also in american graffiti 2

30. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

built this one two yrs ago, nomad quarters, blown and injected 383 4 speed

Attached Files: