Register now to get rid of these ads!

Un-rodding a 63 Corvette for my wife

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrtexas, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrtexas

mrtexas

I'm considering buying my wife a white 63 corvette roadster. However, like most of them it has a 4 speed. "She who must be obeyed" doesn't like shifting. Can anyone point me to a detailed description of how to go from a 4 speed to 700r4 automatic(parts required besides the 700r4 etc)?

http://www.universalautosalesandclassiccars.com/63Corvette2.htm

Still could lay some rubber on the way to nursery school to pick up the 9 year old.

2. Spity

Spity

I dont think it would be that hard to find a nice powerglide car for less.

3. TERPU

TERPU

Find a powerglide car, leave the three pedal car alone.

Tim

4. John Denich

John Denich

Your kidding right...its a number matching Vette I am far from a restorer, but REALLY!!! that car deserves a 4 speed....If it was my wife I would tell her to boot rocks!!!

5. Let me see if I understand you,,your gonna buy a numbers matching 63 vette that has been professionaly restored and your asking hot rod crazed guys how to change from a 4 speed to a automatic,,,

Why not keep looking for one that is more what you want?,,it would almost be a sin to change a car that nice. HRP

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

7. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just put an automatic in it.Floor shift automatic ,Im sure someone could modify the console....

9. John Denich

John Denich

I will trade you a 700r4 for the 4speed, hell I will trade you a TPI 305 and a 700r4 for the drive train.....

10. Tony

Tony

My thought's exactly!!
    Seriously speaking, if you have the means to buy that car, you have the means to buy an auto car as well.
    It's seems crazy to spend the long dollar for a pro-resto numbers matching Vette only to make changes to it..
    Then again, i will never be able to buy one like that anyway so it dosn't matter.....and i also know you didn't ask our opinions on it....
    But the opinions given do have a solid foundation..not just bs....and i also know that it can be put back easily. i'm just sayin'........
    Best of luck..

Tony.

PS: Just tell her she needs to learn to enjoy the shifting..like it or not :D

11. Aww fnck it man its only 42+ grand, should be able to do the swap for another couple thousand. that will be 45ish and the car will be worth 1/2 of that when your done. The #s Wont match, floor buggared up, no longer original

ANOTHER "DON'T!"

12. doctorZ

doctorZ

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! mountain dew just went out the nose ...

13. Abomb

Abomb

Really???? I missed December , January, February, ........and March...??? It's April already ???

Because you have got to be kidding me.....find an automatic car, that's not "un rodding" , that's ruining a classic vette.

14. Larry T

Larry T

Beaumont,Tx/vinyl seats/no AC/wife---------you might have more troubles than 4 speeds.
    If I tried to change it to an automatic, it would probably be a 200/4R. It's a little smaller than a 700R4 and would fit with less changes.
    Larry T

15. mrtexas

mrtexas

I wasn't planning on doing any permanent changes to the 63 Vette, in other words, saving the old pieces for when I change my mind again.

Can I mention how I'm putting a Riley 2 port in my Model A roadster pickup along with 39 transmission, overdrive, hydraulic brakes, electronic ignition saving all the parts to reverse sometime when I change my mind?

16. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

17. dbradley

dbradley

18. Abomb

Abomb

You can mention it if you want, but it still doesn't cancel out why you would consider buying a classic corvette with 4 speed and changing it to an automatic, when buying an automatic car would be cheaper to start with......and no tranny swap = no instant depreciation

19. Perhaps its the "she who must be obeyed", I had one of those twice before.

20. mrtexas

mrtexas

Reminds me of the Model A guys arguing how Henry always had it right!

21. Flatbush

Flatbush

Go for it. Save the parts it can always be put back. The world is bored with the sameness of stock corvettes anyway.

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

None of my biz but why not just a glide or even a 350 trans? I don't think the OD willl be as crucial with a weekend car even on the occaisional road trip. At least with those options you're mainly dealing with nuts and bolts. A repop 'glide shifter will shift a 350 but 1st gear is a bit touchy. Another point that becomes moot. You said the 4 letter word, wife. I'd see that move as a safer alternative and even a sale maker down the road for someone wanting what you've done. It also keeps the car in "outpatient" status for changing it back. Just lookin from a different angle. Good luck.

23. I just gave my wife and hug and kiss for driving stick shift.

24. mrtexas

mrtexas

Much more response than when I asked about what Ford wheels fit when installing disc brakes on 37/41 spindles.

25. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Its funny how that works the longer your here the more you will see we like a good argument . I say do what makes you happy , and as far as your original question theres got to be someone whos done that change before .:eek:

26. mrtexas

mrtexas

My other corvette. Sort of underage driver though.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. From the title, and your write up on Un-rodding a corvette for mamma, I was expecting something like this, That would be a bit much

28. mrtexas

mrtexas

Forgot to mention, the 54 has an automatic already. Anyone tell me how to install a 4 speed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.