Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marvel Mystert Oil Usage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Payaso, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Payaso

Payaso

Water Dis-placer, Formula 40...got it!

2. Don's 55

Don's 55

I love those easy fixes.
    Some of those snake oils do work.
    Just don't look for a miracle in a bottle.
    Thanks for the feed back.

3. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

My folks used to have this old ass mechanic that swore by running a quart of ATF with the oil for a couple hundred miles before an oil change. I'm not sure what that would do besides maybe un-gummy some gummy stuff, but then i've only used ATF in transmissions and to clean the deck of my rollback.

4. Dave B.

Dave B.

Years ago, I had a car with a cable-actuated clutch. The lower end of this particular car's cable was very low and exposed moisture/salt from the road. I couldn't find anything that would keep the cable lubricated through the long Ohio winters. Out of desperation, I mixed MMO with 10w30 in a 50/50 solution. Solved the problem. Since then, I've also used that mix with great success as a penetrant/lubricant for car door and hood hinges as well as emergency brake cables.

And, like Idlzruf's friend, I've mixed MMO with the gasoline in cars with rotary engines if I suspected that the oil injection pump might not be up to snuff. I've never had a problem using it that way.

5. Payaso

Payaso

Well...been a few days now since I replaced the valve cover gaskets...good ole' Cork back on the block...the sound is GONE!!! To think I was about to pull the intake...replace the lifters...only to put the valve covers back on, with possibly the same shitty rubber gaskets, and hear that damn noise again? I could not even imagine what I would have done? Anyhow...I guess I've learned a thing or two from the Veteran guys I know...make a mental list...battle each potential problem at a time...and don't run off to the local shop and leave it with them for a day or two only to get a "We can fix it...but it's gonna cost you _____?" phone call!!

Cheers!

6. Ron In the SHOP

Ron In the SHOP
    BANNED
    from california

MMO is good ole bean oil...

look itup.

I buy it by the gallon.

next to ATF/acetone...and berrymans B-12....

7. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

BUY that friend a beer or two or three. That was some good old time mechanics advice he gave you for free.

8. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Good info. here...

Never used in oil, either...and I have abottle I have had for months, didn't know if it was worth it.

I know it's good, for unsticking engines or bolts,
    ~but I was going to mix in 1 QT in the oil change on a
    Small Block Chevy, too. Heavy enough?

I was going to go from 10-30 to 10-40 (100+ degrees here)...

~what's the MArvel equivalent to? 10-30?
    ~I don't see it mention on the bottle.

~How does it clean out the sludge, any scientists? :)

~I didn't not know it had detergent qualities...but I always heard it'd help with sticking valves, etc.. So it must clean, too?

Now we can't expect space-age cleaning results like that stuff Shelby pushes...Z-Max, but...!
    ======

9. I've heard old time mechanics say the same about ATF. Also, ATF was the cheaper way of putting additive in your gas if you had soft valve seats and unleaded gas. It was way cheaper than the correct stuff..... and it was exactly the same thing!