Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 ford chop or no chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fine29, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

I'm not too sure about a chop but a SECTION, try that on your photoshop!

2. sololobo

sololobo

I have always felt a chop is the ultimate custom. But for the same $ and time you can do so much more to make it a sweet ride. Chops come with a lot of issues , windows, lowering seating, etc. Damn nice little ride whatever you do. I would do the lowering and other cool stuff first. ?The orig. side trim is so cool it would be a same to see it gone. Rock on!! ~Sololobo~

3. mckustoms

mckustoms

4. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

I say no chop. Leave it like it is just drop, www, and keep the trim.

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

all of the above + IMHO later '50's bodystyles don't lend themselves to chops.And I'm a Kustom guy;)

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Beat me to it!!:D

7. 4rod

4rod

I say don't chop look at my 53...throw some wide whites and skirts on it...They didn't change the rear window much...an that rounded window makes for a technical chop...just my opinion[​IMG]

8. Chopped 46 Ford

Chopped 46 Ford

9. The 55 Crown Vic used the same windshield as the 56 hardtop. here's a 55 with a 1 1/2 inch chop that I cut down for Russ Meeks. that is about 3 1/2 inches lower that a 56 post car

Attached Files:

10. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

that car is sweet and reminds of something I forgot back in 1966 I was 5 years old and my neighbor had a nice blue 56 crown victoria with hydraulics,shaved handles etc..that brought back memories..thanks (didn't mean to hijack your thread)

11. Barn-core

Barn-core

Not everything has to be chopped! These cars have great lines form the factory, and don't need much but a little altitude adjustment. Go back and read Ryans blog on the J.J. from a couple days ago about the egoless car. Besides if you abolutely have to cut something up, be a man and section it.

12. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

hey thanks for the pic of the 55 kinda brings it a little more in perspective for me.

13. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

bags, hard top it, skirts and wide whites.

14. kraka138

kraka138

i vote chop and section

[​IMG]

15. MERRELL

MERRELL

chop NO,chop and section YES..my $.02

16. junior58

junior58

So, what did you decide?

17. I chopped one in the 90s, that I regret. The windshield is a compound radius so it is not as easy as just cutting the curved glass. Of course I didn't know then what I know now.

18. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

No Chop needed, that design was flawless from the start.

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Don't chop it. While it may be true that that year does look a bit better with a slightly lower roofline, you have the wrong body style to do it. The hardtops lend themselves much better to chopping, and only subtly. A chop on that car also would need to be executed perfect otherwise it will look awful. With the high sedan profile, the back needs to be reshaped to get a proper flow, otherwise, the roof just comes straight down and the car looks squashed and disproportionate. Not to mention that with all that curved glass, you can only get about a 2" drop in the front before the glass will no longer fit at the corners, and Lexan becomes your only cost effective option. Frankly, it's not worth it. The car looks too cool as it is. That shouldn't stop you from making other modifications though. Merc wagon tail lights, continental kits, shrouded lakes, all kinds of headlight treatment from 55 chevy, Olds, 57 Chevy, different grill treatments, de soto, plymouth, tube... that car is a blank canvas

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I agree. That w/s is gonna be hard to cut, you'd almost have to make the cut at the bottom, as the top has that compound curve or roll. As far as chop and section, wow, easy to say that but what a ton of work. I'd clean it up, lower it some more, flawless bodywork on what's there, and shiney paint. Nice lines as is. Like a tri 5 Chev, hard to chop one and have it look better, not squashed.

21. draggin54

draggin54
    from det. mi.

chop it mild man it will be worth it. later

22. These cars dont look right chopped.

23. bonesy

bonesy

I like chop tops - but I wouldn't do it on that car.

24. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

I say chop it. This is a picture of my dad's friend's old car. They sunk the rear window to do the chop.

[​IMG]

25. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

now that's a nice chop and a nice ride

26. toxictom

toxictom

chop it, and rotate the top 180 degree ....

Attached Files:

27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The above two posted vehicles are the exact reason why you SHOUDN'T cut that car. From that angle, the red and white hardtop looks squashed, and the second one... well, I don't even need to go there

28. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Here is the one that was done at my shop before it was gold. it was just sectioned for a while. than phill decided to chop it. There are some posts on here someware on the section because we did it in one weekend. I would chop it but dont over chop it. Scott

Attached Files: