Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need advice about using Model T spoked wheels on a hot rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wsdad, Nov 26, 2009.

1. wsdad

wsdad

I'm building a hot rod model T roadster. Unfortunately, I have no experience with model T's.

I think I want to keep my original front axle and suspension because they're in good shape and I already own them. I'm concerned about using the original metal spoke rims that came from the factory.

EDIT: I'm only thinking of using them on the front, not the rear.
    EDIT #2: I've found a way to mount brakes on the front, according to another forum.

[​IMG]

Questions:

1. Are the old metal spoke wheels safe to use at the front of the car? I'll be hitting pot holes around town, driving up to 80 mph on the highway and about twice a year, faster than that at the drag strip. I like the traditional look of Henry's rims, but am concerned about their strength with a V8.

I'm also concerned about truing them (they don't have adjustable spokes) and about tire selection. I'll be running radials on the back and don't want to mix them with bias ply on the front. Are there any radials that will fit Henry's rims?

2. If I were to replace them with wider rims and wheels, what do people use? Would I need to buy different spindles too? How do I get from here to there? What parts should I use and where can I find them? Is there anything safe yet budget-minded from another car that I can use to swap in their place or do I have to spring for new stuff from 1-800-Catalog?

EDIT#3: I've found the answer to this and many other questions at

http://tbucketplans.com/

3. What should I use if I were to replace them with motorcycle-style wire wheels?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

if your wheels where on a car that was stored in doors &not off a rusted 'r/rod' maybe they can be trusted after all the t&a model fords carried a couple spare tires &tubes but only one spare wheel
    roads where pretty bad back then
    look at what you can adapt for front brakes that look right for what you are building

3. im guessing that as model Ts didnt do 80mph back in the day that maybe this isnt a good idea. i wouldnt use em and i love model T anythings.

4. SOHC427

SOHC427

Don't do it. I have an NOS T wire, and it still isn't true. There not that strong, either.
    Eric

5. Carter

Carter

More info on the build of the car would help.
    Since you plan on driving 80 mph and more, we aren't talking about a stock T here.
    What engine/trans/rear,etc.?
    Sounds like with what you are planning on doing, I'd say no to the T wheels, and probably no to A or early V8 also.

Dave

6. Southfork

Southfork

I guess a reasonable person would want to know if the hub lug pattern is the same as on the 1928 - 48 Ford wheels, because if so, there are lots of wheel options. The mechanical brakes on the Model T's, however, are the limiting factor even if the lug pattern should be the same. Seems to me that the lug pattern is different on the T's though.

7. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Model T's do not have mechanical brakes per se' as their braking system is located inside the transmission. The brakes that are on the axle are actually parking brakes and most do not even have a lining on the cast shoe. Also, the model T does NOT share the same bolt pattern as the 'A'. I need to go on and say the picture above is not a '26-27 wire wheel either.

As for the strength, they will withstand way more abuse than you think. I (--and others) have dirt track raced with them for years and have not encountered anything that would cause any concern. WSDad, I would not be afraid to use them in your application.

8. wsdad

wsdad

Engine: Ford 400 (it's heavy)
    Transmission: C6
    Rear: Ford 9" limited slip

The front is going to be extended in front of the engine about 4 feet. That will reduce the weight on the front axle. It will resemble a front engine dragster from the late 50's - early 60's. Yes, I know the engine doesn't fit that time period. Yes, I know the engine is a pig. It's temporary.

If you wouldn't use the T wheels, what would you use in their place?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  9. wsdad

wsdad

What would you use?

10. wsdad

wsdad

What would you put on a 'T front axle?

11. wsdad

wsdad

Thanks, that gives me hope. That makes sense, what you said about their strength.

However, just to "play devil's advocate," how much speed did you get up to up to on a dirt track? Was it enough to notice an untrue wheel? I'm not trying to be arguementive, I really don't know. I'm worried they will vibrate on paved roads at highway speeds.

If the above picture is not a 26-27 wire wheel, what is it a picture of?

12. DrJ

DrJ

13. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Model-A

14. VespaJay

VespaJay

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

IMO a drag styled car with a 400ci motor, C6 and a 9" posi has no business running T wheels. If it were a banger powered T hot rod with a banjo rear that could do 80 wot, then yeah, run the T wheels.

good luck with the project

16. R Pope

R Pope

I'd be more concerned with the T axle and spindles than the wheels. The king pins are backwards to the newer ones, and spindles are not built for any kind of brakes. I'd find a Model A setup if I were you, and some 16" Kelsey's.

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I would not run the t axle or wheels. I have Model T Speedsters and even on with all new T wire wheels, no way would i run a t axle and spindles with a 400 engine.
    Move on up to 46-48 stuff.....

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Any wheel that will stand up on a dirt track racer will do just fine on the highway.......:cool:

Your pictured wheels are Model A, not used on dirt track racers much after about 1935, not for lack of strength, but because later rims 17 inch/16inch/15inch were wider, footprint of a wider tire was better for traction.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  19. wsdad

wsdad

"6) Model A wire spoke. These mount right up to T hubs with a different version of the adapter I mentioned in #5. $530 for a set of 4 adapters (T to A; T to T is cheaper, but I didn’t write down the price)."

That was helpfull!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparantly, I have a model T chassis with model A wheels. Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Never mind the wheel questions, what do you plan to steer this thing with? How do you plan to link all these parts? Are you using a stock T chassis? I'm afraid to ask you to post photos.

21. woodlandca

woodlandca

The record speed for a Model T is 166 mph. If you want to make a hot rod out of a Model t use a 1928 chevy head on the model t block an adaptor plate is real easy to make. It will put out around 100 hp.

As for brakes, use rocky mountain style brakes.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

That was a Model T Ford Cylinder BLOCK, the chassis it was in was a SCTA approved build that went over 200MPH with other power.

23. scarylarry

scarylarry

Oh, you and your silly details. :)

24. woodlandca

woodlandca

25. wsdad

wsdad

I've found many of my questions answered on this site:

http://tbucketplans.com/

It's a guy selling a book he wrote about how to build a T-Bucket for under $3000 in 1986 dollars.

He has lots of good tips and the book is only $10 (in 2009 dollars :)).