Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Nash hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Sep 24, 2008.

1. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

You fucking young whipper snappers always showing off ! ! ! ! ! !

Just pulling your chain,

I wish I had half of your energy

anyway ....

I watched from day one and I'll say it again ,

YA DONE GOOD.....

BE PROUD !

2. Man, slam the ass end and radius the rear wheel wells and you'll be golden! Great work turning trash into your own treasure.

3. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Great job, great car. Congratulations.

4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Well it was a beautiful sunny day in the northwest, so i decided today was as good as any to get crackin on the nash!

[​IMG]

I started by getting the car back into the shop, no easy task with the rear being locked up. I first started by jacking up the car, setting it on jackstands, and removing the old springs and rearend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

The old one was toast.

[​IMG]

The replacement

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut the spring perches off of the replacement, and ground it smooth. I then took the perches off of the blown axle, and cut them off as well. Not quite a perfect fit, but close enough to get a good weld. The Bitch was the placement. There had to be 39 5/8th between the perches to be able to fit my springs.

[​IMG]

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

After measuring and tacking, and measuring again, i got it perfect! I welded it on, then gave it a nice coat of paint. I covered the rubber pads in anti-sieze ( trick from semi truck suspensions.) and installed em.

[​IMG]

Since the new axle was out of a 91' chev, it was narrower, and had larger lug bolts. The larger bolts ment i couldnt use my American torque thrusts :( No problem! New bigger rubbers on steels on the back now!!

[​IMG]

All installed and awaiting the driveshaft!

[​IMG]

Now its time to take care of the little stuff iv been neglecting, like notching the crossmember so the car can sit level without rubbing the driveshaft.

More to come later!!

7. I LOVE off the wall cars like this. Nice to see something that most people would just let rot to dust because it seemed like too much work. Nice!

8. Ricokidd

Ricokidd
    from Finland

i had to register to hamb just because i thought nobody else would build a hot rod nash!

here is my pal's project nash ambassador -47 brougham, its a definetly only one here in Finland!

http://www.sevo.fi/main.php?g2_itemId=3202

not "quite" driver yet, but it will hapen someday.. it will be installed on 70's chevrolet chassis, with SBC

sorry about bad english :(

9. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Great project and you should be proud of yopurself. I also vote to radius the rear wheelwells

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Well, having the body off the frame, i decided i was gonna touch up the paint a little bit, seeing as how it had been gettin scratched, and was 3 different colors.

I was only gonna sand a little bit, then primer, no real filling work.

[​IMG]

then i got sanding more, and shot some primer.

[​IMG]

then more,

[​IMG]

7 days later, its damn near ready to shoot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It'll be one of the nicest paintjobs iv attempted yet. A darker gloss version of the old color, with 2 black racing stripes down the center, pinstirpped in ivory 1 shot, with 28 on the door in ivory .

11. send_it_all

send_it_all

Damn dude...you're an animal. Don't you get tired of tearing the same car apart?

12. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Kinda, but theres so much i want to change with the car. Im already planning a new frame for it sometime in the future.

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I agree with leaving the rear fenders like that.

Keep on keepin' on kid.

Attached Files:

• NASH.jpg
      NASH.jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:
  14. So you're from Washington? I was stationed @ Whidbey Is., Wash. in the 80's as Aviation Mechanic.
    The Naval base had a "Auto Hobby" shop, which I naturally hung out at. The shop had everything, from machinery for boring engine blocks to spraybooths. Funny thing, hardly anyone used the shop except us crazies. Some old civilian guy ran the shop and we seemed to piss him off royally, mostly from doing burnouts outside the shop. It was so boring on that Island, I would go off base with my souped up Firebird and street race in the town of Oak Harbor. The cops never caught me racing, but knew me and busted me every chance they could by pulling me over for any tiny violation with my car.
    A friend and I rented a crappy flea infested, moss field of a roof shanty nestled in the woods, a rural part of Whidbey Is. We had a huge supply of cars sitting all over the wooded lot, they were from service guys who brought them to the Island from far and wide, when they got hard up and needed cash, they sold these muscle cars cheap. We also had a nearly vacant roadway in front of our shanty that was used as a drag strip. Good times up in the great Northwest woods.

15. Looks good. what kinda paint you useing?

16. fitzee

fitzee

This is a interesting build. Built by a young hot rodder his own way.This car reminds me of cars that were built in the early days by young guys much like yourself. We tend to think that hot rodding is a 32 Ford with a flatty. but how many early hot rods looked much like this one. great job.enjoyed this post.

17. Soreback

Soreback

Man, what a great job! Thanks for the pics and the story. A lot of people forget the ambition of youth. Not to mention the determination. Well done! ( Or never done) LOL

18. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

As for paint, the thread about rustolium paintjobs is what inspired me to do this. Gonna shoot a couple of coats of their gloss through a gun.

19. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

scoped out the Nash thread before, didn't know your connection with Rob
    Rob said you can work the bumping hammer
    you did nice job on the 41

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Dude! you rule! Way to go man. If you find yourself down this way give me a holler.
    See you around

21. this ol girl just gets better all the time. cant wait to see how it looks with shiny paint.
    i like the way you get stuck in and do what needs to be done even though it makes my efforts look bad! lol.

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

We all started out like this kid, remember? Hot rodding pure and simple. Somebody better grab this kid and put him to work, he has heart. Nice job and keep it up. Give this guy some real material and see what happens. Outstanding. Lippy:)

23. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Thanks fellas! Right now, im kinda stalled on th ol girl. Still havent found a motor for it, and its been sitting in my back yard begging to smoke those slicks! Kinda makes me sad every time i look at it....

I was having a hard time on the color i was gonna paint it. I shot it with gloss black, and it didnt look half bad. Not half good eithor. So i shot some hunter green semi-gloss mixed with gloss black, and i think it turned out wicked!!!

Attached Files:

24. Tim G

Tim G

Gloss black was a brave colour choice for a first time paint job but fair play for trying it!

i like it in the green semi-gloss :)

25. whisky runner

whisky runner

great car...yea i have been watching this thread..ya alot of us can relate to you..i was poor as a teen so i built what i could afford ha ha ha so you can imagine..but give a 16 yr old kid a 48 chevy deluxe a 283 from a old station wagon three speed shifter..and a cutting torch and a HUGE hammer and you would be surprised at how light you can get the old family sedan.. and how fast a ratty ole V8 can push one of those tanks..ha ha ha ha ha good job kid....R.C.

26. whisky runner

whisky runner

ohh forgot what i wanted to say..ha ha ha..i wish ya was closer..i have several old nailheads looking for homes..and that nash would be perfect :)....hope ya find something to push it around with soon..i would hate to see ya lose interest because of lack of funds...

27. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I have a 322 nailhead sitting in the barn that would be bitchin in it, but im short the funds to buy the adapter kit to fit it to my saginaw.

28. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Love the car, love the new paint. And FINALLY another HAMBER who appreciates Herculiner!:D Really man, very cool, I dig the way you do things.

29. Reverend_Jack

Reverend_Jack

And now there is a nice 283 to fit back in it so we can see about burning those slicks in right. Just a little slap and hammer and she'll be good as new little brother!

30. mj40's

mj40's

My dad had this 40 Nash and sold it about 10 years ago. The new owner turned it into a street rod. I have seen it and it looks way better now. Thought you would enjoy another Nash. I have enjoyed your build and energy.

Attached Files: