Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Merc build update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXK, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Happy Thanksgiving to all from Extreme Kustoms.

Here's a few updated pics of a 49 merc were are building right now.
    For those who do not know the headlights are from a 53 Buick, The front bumpers are modified 55 Pontiac and you will probably hate this part but the wheels are 17" not the old school 15" wheels. GB & happy Thanksgiving, Rick Erickson of EXK

Attached Files:

2. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Interesting front end,what will fill that large gap in the grill?..what are those hub caps from,there really nice.

3. We plan on building a 3 pice grill simulare to an 55 Plymouth. Once done and mounted we can fab up the lower part of the mouth to fit the grill.

The hubcaps are from a 1959/60 Cad Eldo? I am not 100% sure of the model but the year and make is correct

4. i like the front end, itll be interesting to see when its finished

5. CenValyCali

CenValyCali
    from Hanford

Wow that looks great. I'm also diggin the Hubcaps:D

6. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

The hubcaps are 59 & 60 Cad Eldorado. They copy The 57 & 58 Eldorado wheel, in a picture they look alike but the 57, 58 eldorado brougham is a wheel the center hubcap just covers the lug nuts

7. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

looking so great.

8. Killer sheet metal fab work.

9. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Great work as usual and a Happy Thnaksgiving to you!

10. lorodz

lorodz

nice ....and smooth....flows real nice ...

11. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

12. Hey Rodger thanks for the imfo on these real kool repop caps. A friend of mine brought these caps to me so i can make him a custom set of wheels that will work with these caps for his Merc convert. I belive he got them from you of Garry. Anyway I like them and if you know where someone could get some more I would be very intereseted and probally a few others here on the mamb.

13. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Looking great! Thanks for the close-ups, helps to see how it's done.

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I dig it. Lets see more!

15. Decided to make the hood open from the front and not the rear on this 49. I did not want to use one of those street rod BMW style hood kits. After looking in my old hood hing pile I came up with a set of 62 T-bird hood hings that looked like I could make work. They are very beefy hings and they lift straight up as they open. After a little cutting and tacking I was able see they are for sure going to work out very nicely for this build. So I made up some adjustable mounting brackets and weld them onto the inner fender well. I have not done the hood mounts yet but should have them done very soon. We also finished the lower part of the apron.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  16. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I've got to do that to my Cad. Thats a sweet trick you really don't see alot of on the West Coast. Who's the Pink Merc belong to? Any more pictures of that one?

17. Hey wow I screwed up. I did not mean to include that pic. Sorry I am going to try to delete it. PM me for imfo on that one.

18. Looks like a very cool car post more of it!!!

19. Almost got the hood finished. Have it mounted to the new t-bird hinges now alined & fitted to the fenders and cowl. Now we can finally finish the bodys side of the hood mods and gaps. Have not decided if we are going to be putting in some kind of side hood scoops yet but if we do they will be with the openings towards the rear. The reverse of the norm usally done.

Attached Files:

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice work im liking the front end treatment and the reverse opening hood , cool deal hope for more pics

21. Just finished up the 17" wheels, Yes 17" wheels for this build. We had to make a special very narrow 6.5" wide front wheel to get the tire to fender clearnce needed. We made the rears a wide 9". In the pic's you can see we are going to run 1957 or 1959 caddy caps but have not decided yet but are leaning towards the 59 caps. We also had some special made wide white wall tires. The fronts are 225/55/17 and the rears are 255/55/17. I know alot of you do not like big wheels and I am one of you but I must admit I am liking these.

Attached Files:

22. HAZERUNNER

HAZERUNNER
    from california

23. Just finished the body side of rounding all the corners on the hood and regapping the hood fit to the body seams.

Attached Files:

24. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I always love to see a car in this stage. The more I look at those split front bumpers the more I like em. Thanks for posting the pics.

25. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

Nice metal work, looks good.

26. FiddyEffie

FiddyEffie

curious, where did you find those wheels covers? im running 17" charger steelies and i'd love some nice looking caps on them.

excellent looking car by the way

27. SLEDLORD

SLEDLORD
    from OC

Rick dude the metal work and styling on this merc is FUCKING SICK......Keep it up and that one will wax the rest. When I have the money you are lowering the lid on my merc for sure. Post more pics

28. Foppa

Foppa

this build is so cool..

29. Were finally moving towards the back of this 49. We have decided to add some shiney trim around the side window openings so we just fabed up the mounting area to attach it to. I will be making the side trim from solid brass and having it plated. Also made a set of rear quarter fender skirts with a scoop in the front edge. We made them easily removable to access the rear tire area.

HAPPY NEW YEARS FROM Rick & Carol Erickson

Attached Files: