Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone on here driving a former submarine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Saw a guy on here awhile back who built a shoebox Ford that was literally under water. He got it running and driving and it even still had the "water cooled" head light option. (he he) So that got me thinking... Has anyone on here made a decent car out of something that was at the bottom of a creek, lake, rock quarry or whatever? As a kid we would always hear stories about cars at the bottom of quarry's and what not. Anyone got any good stories? Before and after pic's?

Just curious... Thanks in advance.

-Ron

2. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

I drove submarines in a former career though

3. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Whats long,hard,black and full of seamen? a submarine

4. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I often find myself at the submarine races.

5. Damn THE DUDE beat me to it!

6. squirrel

squirrel

no, but I did play with a torpedo today

7. Maybe this was a bad idea...

8. squirrel

squirrel

NOW you figure that out

:)

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have bought a few "low water cars" meaning they were only into the floor boards or slightly above. I did buy one total submersion Jeep Wrangler a few years ago (yes, knowingly) as I was doing a lot of Jeep rebuilds at the time and wanted this one for off-roading. I had a like model, wrecked, and used all the wiring and electrical components from the wreck. The engine and trans had been drained after it was recovered and were free turning and apparently undamaged. After all the electric work and with some coaxing, I got the engine running and used the thing for some time with no problems.

Basically, if a vehicle has been in fresh water, the body at least, can be resurrected.
    Some types of water, i.e. rivers and creeks, may have a lot of sedimentary stuff, dirt, sand etc., so it adds to the difficulty. A lake or quarry would be preferable if one had the choice. The Jeep was easier than a fully trimmed passenger car, but it can be done.

10. squirrel

squirrel

11. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I put my 85 Toyota 4x4 in about 30 feet of water, it rolled down a boat ramp and floated out about 100 feet from shore before it finally sank. Divers found it next day. That was about 15 years ago, sold it to a buddy and he's still beating the hell out of it on his farm.

12. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Yeah, try this out, a buddy of mine bought a early 70's ford truck 1/2 ton for $50 that sat in the Wabash River for 7 years and he "says" that he drove it out of the river with the boat that was behind it. Now, this is the Wabash River south of Terre Haute, In. There is no way.

Of course this is the same kid that has the 351 modified big block 400(as he calls it) that he got out of an RV that had 400 hp stock and now he has 10 grand in the motor, and 30 grand in the car. Of course, the car has a spray can paint job, buckets of bondo, and a tractor muffler. But, it will go 220, if the 2bbl motorcraft doesn't catch on fire.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  13. I passed on some that I knew had been flooded, I couldn't bring myself to try to flip them to unsuspecting people and figured if I was honest I'd own them forever. One was a '67 Impala SS ragtop. They were on the low side of the junkyard and were flooded over the tops at least once just the spring we were in there getting cars. We did bring back a '36 Ford parts car from that side though.

And someone did make that Impala and a '64 Cutlass ragtop dissapear other than the scrap guys, so.. they're out there someplace.

14. Now we're headed in the right direction! That's a killer thread.

Somebody give this thread an extra star for pete's sake...

Anyone else got something?

15. Ha ha! I've almost done that myself.

16. I'm lovin' it... Keep em comin'...

17. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

Im thinking I need to see if that model a sedan is still in the river behind my dads house

18. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

Wasnt there a teenage car movie where they built up a car they pulled out of a pond? I'm thinking it was in the 80's.

19. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Of course the side of the truck looks like a river its so wavy, I bet the bondo is aleast an inch think on there and put on with a paintbrush, I'm gunna have to get a pic next time he drives it to school.

20. "The book of love" was the movie. It's freakin' hilarious.

Here's a link to the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BVRPrDtkhs

Love this movie. "You come around tonight you can watch my sister take a bath..."

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  21. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Here's video of the Lakeland Car ferry; which sank in Lake Michigan in 1929:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xxNUwOBWzjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xxNUwOBWzjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

22. RichG

RichG

...I wonder if anyone ever fixed this one up?:p
    [​IMG]

23. subs...? .,..............did someone say subs?

Attached Files:

24. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

sweet, off to amazon I go...

25. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I polish my submarine with dryer sheets... They make it smell purdy too...

26. my 54 harley was underwater in a basement for 10 years before i got it.. it's running now, but..well.. it was a v twin now it's just a / single. lol, same block but half of it was to far gone to trust.. yey port-a-bands! , it's slow and leaky but it's still a harley.

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well this Pelican flew in front of a Bugatti,................. [​IMG]

28. ritchj

ritchj

There was a car at Pebble Beach this year that was in a flooded basement for a long time - it was 'preservation class,' completely unrestored; they had a couple of the original tires on hand. Can't locate my full car pic at the moment: here's more info on it if you care - the owner should be applauded IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

When I had my Belly tank delivered, the driver asked me if it was a mini submarine!! That gave me a good laugh.

Mike

30. Gator

Gator

Used to drive this one:

[​IMG]